Author Topic: 1 hour of EITS?  (Read 3839 times)

vassego

1 hour of EITS?
« on: March 18, 2007, 01:34:00 am »
Am I the only person whom expected EITS to play for more than an hour and to not be cut short by Bob Mould's DJ set?  Yes, I definitely recognize the musical important of Bob Mould, but I'm really disappointed that this being their 2nd stop in DC, EITS were able to play only an hour.

Was this planned this way from the beginning?  Was this a club or band decision?

Sorry, but I've been an incredibly loyal fan of the 9:30 for 5 years and this is my first disappointment, I'm just hoping it wasn't a decision by the club.  If it was, I'm curious as to the circumstances of that decision if they can be divulged.

Much thanks.

Chulahoma

Re: 1 hour of EITS?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 01:41:00 am »
i saw eits play at starr hill last night and at the warsaw in ny a few weeks ago.  They played the same amount as tonights show.  when i first saw them live i expected a longer set too, but i can understand why its so short.  they play a strong set during that hour so i cant complain.  especially with tonights show since they played my favorite tracks off of, the earth is not a cold dead place CD.

does anyone have any video from tonights show?

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 01:51:00 am »
I thought we'd get at least a 10-20 minute encore but can't complain otherwise. Eluvium is fucking incredible live too. The Paper Chase were so out of place in that lineup.
احمد

_adam

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:37:00 am »
i was more bummed that the paper chase, as the second opener, only got to play for 30-some minutes compared to eluvium's 40-ish minute yawn-fest.

distance

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 08:56:00 am »
eits doesn't typically do encores.
 the set last night was 75 minutes.
 prior to this tour, shows rarely surpassed 60 minutes.  they played 8 songs last night.  most shows this tour are only getting 7.  previous tours were 5-6 songs at the most.

you didn't get screwed over by bob mould.  you didn't get screwed over the club.  you didn't get screwed over by the band.  you actually got a longer-than-average set.  i think you had different expectations than perhaps what you should have been expecting.

vassego

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 09:11:00 am »
Originally posted by distance:
 you didn't get screwed over by bob mould.  you didn't get screwed over the club.  you didn't get screwed over by the band.  you actually got a longer-than-average set.  i think you had different expectations than perhaps what you should have been expecting.
Fair enough.  I'll freely admit that I expected a long show, I'm just surprised they don't play longer sets.  It was definitely a strong set, I can't disagree with that. At least the next time I see them, I'll know what to expect.  Thanks all.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:17:00 am »
Who is EITS?

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 10:32:00 am »
They must've started way before 9 if they played that long. Didn't check what time they started but they ended at exactly 10.

Haha I thought the paper chase were excrutiating and Eluvium, mindblowing. I could've listened to those beautiful melodies and walls of sound for another hour. To each their own I guess.
احمد

Here's the thing

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 11:26:00 am »
I looked at my watch right before the lights went down, and it was 8:45. I was expecting them to start at 9, so was surprised when the started immediately after my time check.
 We missed Eluvium, but I really enjoyed Paper Chase. I am not sure if they were the best fit, but I thought the set was strong.
 Concerning EITS, do any other oldies like me remember Love Tractor? I hear a strong similarity during the soft parts, although Tractor never really got to the "explosive" level like this guys often do.
 Eevn though we didn't get an encore, it felt like a full show to me. Fun night!

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
Who is EITS?

manimtired

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 11:38:00 am »
the paper chase did not come off nearly as well as they do in a smaller setting.  ive seen them 5 or 6 times and that was the weakest set ive seen them put on.  the times ive seen them on the back stage at the black cat and at north six were amazing...they just didnt pull it off last night in my opinion.  EITS were ok..seemed short to me too. i was impressed that the crowd wasnt a drunken frat house mess seeing it was st paddys day..

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
Who is EITS?

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted repeatedly by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Who is EITS?
Shhhhh.....

<soto voce> Explosions In The Sky </soto voce>

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »
The Show did start at 8:45. I too was expecting a longer show, but I do not feel screwed over. It was a fantastic set and I loved every minute of it. Elivium was nice and his stuff is fantastic. The Paper Chase WAS so out of place last night. They should have given those 40 minutes to Explosions. But overall, fantastic show.

On another note, did anyone hear that guy who yelled "go back to texas"? That annoyed the hell out of me.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by IMAmoose24:
 On another note, did anyone hear that guy who yelled "go back to texas"? That annoyed the hell out of me.
that comment was as out of place last night as The Paper Chase   :)    bah, typical drunkard commentary... happy st. paddy's!

i had EITS playing for about 70 minutes, by my count.  i thought it was the perfect amount of time. i thoroughly enjoyed the show, but i'm not sure another 30 minutes would have gotten their point across any more than they did.  while pretty as hell, one can't say that their stuff is very diverse.  i had somewhere else to be, and had gotten my tasty fill of them.

i left the show thinking two things: first, "thank you 930 message board".  without this bboard, i would have slept on EITS.  on your suggestion, i checked 'em out online and bought tickets - and got to enjoy a great show last night.  the other thought i left the show with was "sometimes, i miss drugs".  i've gotten a lot less fun/wild/irresponsible in my old age, but there were several moment when i wished i was tripping last night... pretty twinkling music... *sigh*.

only caught the last 5 minutes of eluvium, loved his wall of sound.  was anyone else surprised how packed the place was, that early on?!?  i don't remember the last time i say the first act (of three) play to such a full floor!

the paper chase... whatever.  punk rock meets art rock with some sampling thrown in.  i got a kick out of the insistence with which the guitarist tuned his instrument between each song, even though he wasn't really using it as a melodic instrument.  had it been untuned, i doubt anyone would have noticed.  their show didn't really work for me, although there was one song that they got me to bob my head along to.  meh.  i thought the crowd was especially "indie hipster" last night (never seen so many mutton chops at the club), they approvingly scratched their chins to paper chase so maybe they weren't as out of place on the bill as some (including me) think.

EITS were simply brilliant.  the south-asian looking guitarist on the right - was he drunk, high, or just really really into it?  a highly recommended act to catch, when you next have a chance.
<sig>