Author Topic: Shake the Sheets  (Read 2649 times)

Sieve-Fisted

Shake the Sheets
« on: October 21, 2004, 09:05:00 am »
Any thoughts on Ted Leo's new album?

Post Article

godsshoeshine

Re: Shake the Sheets
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 09:34:00 am »
really good article, can't say i could capture ted's appeal any better. sheets is better than hearts of oak, not quite as good as tyranny. tyranny of distance is one of my favorite albums of the '00s thus far, though. sheets almost certain to be on my top 10 of '04 though.
o/\o

jkeisenh

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 09:37:00 am »
i think the album's brilliant.  if you ask me, teddy keeps getting better and better.

BUT

did anyone notice that this was a somewhat monumental event for the post-- that is, reviewing an album that had been obtained by download, seemingly without permission?  if you ask me, this is a slippery slope for them.  sure, you can get advance copies of just about anything on Soulseek, but does that mean the Post should be doing it?  I don't think so.  Beside, until they have their advance-copy-for-the-industry in hand, how do they know things won't be remastered or changed up?

Personally, I think the Post aught to wait until the artist is completely finished, has the CD pressed with liner notes and all, and sends them a copy before they do their reviewing.

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 09:40:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  sheets is better than hearts of oak,
no way

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
way

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  i think the album's brilliant.  if you ask me, teddy keeps getting better and better.

BUT

did anyone notice that this was a somewhat monumental event for the post-- that is, reviewing an album that had been obtained by download, seemingly without permission?  if you ask me, this is a slippery slope for them.  sure, you can get advance copies of just about anything on Soulseek, but does that mean the Post should be doing it?  I don't think so.  Beside, until they have their advance-copy-for-the-industry in hand, how do they know things won't be remastered or changed up?

Personally, I think the Post aught to wait until the artist is completely finished, has the CD pressed with liner notes and all, and sends them a copy before they do their reviewing.
well, the post never says that's how they heard it. plus, its always the advance copies that they send to people like the post that get leaked
o/\o

redsock

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

BUT

I hope you don't feel that way about all media outlets that review CDs.  :p

stu47

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
I agree it's better than hearts as well (and I loved hearts)

right now its definitely on my year end top 10 list (actually, its been glued at #1 since I ,uh downloaded it in july...but I was a good boy and bought it tuesday)

any one seeing them at the ottobar tonight?

BookerT

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »
i picked this up during lunch and am just about all the way through it for the first time. i saw him so many damn times this summer that i'm pretty familiar with a lot of these songs. that's a good thing. it always takes me a few listens to get way into something, but i don't doubt that will happen with this record. listening to ted leo makes me smile. i like the fort reno pics in the booklet.

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 04:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by stu47:

any one seeing them at the ottobar tonight?
i was all excited about it for a few weeks, but i am WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too tired to go anywhere tonight.

stu47

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
that's sort of my take on it as well....

Im sure he'll be back in baltimore again soon (I could always go to the black cat shows, but im lazy like that)

brennser

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 10:14:00 am »
I really like the record - definitely one of the best of the year for me

Pitchfork gives it a 7

Shake the Streets

godsshoeshine

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 10:17:00 am »
typically absurd pitchfork review
o/\o

brennser

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2004, 10:22:00 am »
yup

ratioci nation

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2004, 10:25:00 am »
I have mentioned the guy who wrote it before, he at one point lived in dc, you can tell by some of his reviews, he is their worst offender.

BookerT

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2004, 11:48:00 am »
i dunno, i thought it was pretty spot-on, to tell you the truth. and i'm certainly no fan of pitchfork reviews 98% of the time. but i listened to the record 5 times yesterday and i have that same underwhelming feeling. i like it, but i feel like i'm conditioned to like it. there are plenty of good songs, but a month from now if i want to listen to ted leo i'm probably reaching for one of the last two records.

i think maybe i just connected too much with line about wishing for anti-smoking legislation instead of bumming smokes. and the back hurting thing. god bless those couches in the back of the black cat.