Author Topic: Myspace  (Read 11346 times)

K8teebug

Re: Myspace
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 07:53:00 am »
oops page

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 09:48:00 am »
Originally posted by The Vessel:
  I find the myspace visual design troubling...the pages give me a headache. I think it's because I am old. If I was to have a myspace page, it would just serve as a gateway to a my own website...
i'm not a web designer or a coder or anything like that, but their design is just so unbelievably tacky and shitty, it really boggles my mind that they haven't undergone a serious style update in a long long time ... i'm guessing it's because when Murdoch bought the site he didn't want to make any noticeable changes that would make people start to freak out about corporate ownership and jump ship

facebook's design is so much cleaner, and that alone makes me use it a lot more than myspace
(o|o)

Samantha

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2007, 10:17:00 am »
heh.  I have a myspace, it's yesiamanartist if anyone wants to add me, feel free.  I find it's the easiest way to keep track of people, because everyone's on it.

however it's banned at work, so at work I do the facebook thing, which I can't figure out.  I don't know what it is about facebook, but there's like a mental block in my brain that I can't figure out how to do things on it.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2007, 10:36:00 am »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  facebook's design is so much cleaner, and that alone makes me use it a lot more than myspace
One problem I find with facebook is the way it turns every phrase in lists into links, e.g. "Zappa's Yellow Shark" instead of simply "Yellow Shark". While it's nice that lists can be loosely formed, the automatic hyperlinking needs to be more intelligently programmed, i.e. more like Wikipedia.

sonickteam2

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

i am far too lazy to have both a myspace AND a facebook page!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2007, 10:54:00 am »
i'm sure someone's written about this somewhere, but i'm really fascinated by myspace's ability to completely cut across cultural divides and appeal to an enormous range of people

everyone from middle school kids to college kids to working class rural people to music-obsessed folks to educated urbanites to minority communities to middle-aged spinsters find a way to tweak the site to serve their particular needs

it seems like similar social networking sites serve particular niches (to a greater and smaller degree, of course), while myspace somehow appeals to pretty much anyone using the internet

of course, in a few years (at most) everyone will have moved on to another site and Murdoch will be left with a $600 million paperweight
(o|o)

Christine Moritz

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »
not since the last few weeks when they added movies and music and all that other crap to the profiles...it's getting a little meh

but yeah, it is somewhat user-friendlier than the space

Originally posted by The Vessel:
  I find the myspace visual design troubling...the pages give me a headache. I think it's because I am old. If I was to have a myspace page, it would just serve as a gateway to a my own website...
i'm not a web designer or a coder or anything like that, but their design is just so unbelievably tacky and shitty, it really boggles my mind that they haven't undergone a serious style update in a long long time ... i'm guessing it's because when Murdoch bought the site he didn't want to make any noticeable changes that would make people start to freak out about corporate ownership and jump ship

facebook's design is so much cleaner, and that alone makes me use it a lot more than myspace [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2007, 01:07:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  not since the last few weeks when they added movies and music and all that other crap to the profiles...it's getting a little meh

but it still looks well-coded and, dare i say it, classy ... myspace looks like a cheap whore in comparison
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2007, 07:23:00 am »

Originally posted by you be betty:

but it still looks well-coded and, dare i say it, classy ... myspace looks like a cheap whore in comparison [/b]
you make that sound like its a bad thing.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »
The default MySpace design doesn't bother me that much.

What bothers me are the ones where people used profile editors and as a result, the profiles don't display properly on the screen and require horizontal scrolling.  Not to mention the ones where people have all kinds of crazy background patterns that make the text difficult to read, etc.  It's like Bad Website Design of 1999 all over again.

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2007, 08:00:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  I'm late on this and I know there's been other threads but who's on myspace?  Here's me.
How does this thread drum up business for the club?

Rather it's seemingly a cheap attempt to get people to compare boring, narcissitic myspace pages.  The only myspace page that matters is the club's.

thirsty moore

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »
You're right Surly.  Shame on me for trying to get laid.

anarchist

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2007, 11:27:00 pm »
the best thing about myspace is that every band has a page and you can hear their music.  this was impossible 2 yrs ago.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2007, 12:38:00 am »
absolutely - most of my decisions about catching or skipping an opener are based on a few minutes with their myspace page.
<sig>