Author Topic: Coachella movie roll call  (Read 5323 times)

K8teebug

Re: Coachella movie roll call
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 09:53:00 am »
I'll be at the snowden showing in Columbia.

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 09:57:00 am »
nevermind, not going anymore.  i have to paint my bathroom.

:roll:

joz

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  I'll be at the snowden showing in Columbia.
me too   :p

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 10:25:00 am »
I still have a ticket (possibly 2) for anyone interested in Gallery Place. Lily?

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
I've never had a problem getting into R rated movies there.

Originally posted by slowgraffiti:
  i bought my ticket on fandango for gallery place but i just realized that they're going to ask for id when i go get it. are they bitches about letting people into r-rated movies?

pj

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 11:43:00 am »

SalParadise

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 12:06:00 pm »
i'll be at gallery place (and i might have 3 extras)

eltee

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by P.J.:
  http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/24/movies/24scre.html?_r=1&8hpib

interesting...
I want to see the Police documentary.  :D  
 Anyhow, don't think I'm heading out tonight.

lily1

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 09:24:00 pm »
wish i could but still working...  :(

Originally posted by bearman:
  I still have a ticket (possibly 2) for anyone interested in Gallery Place. Lily?

distance

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »
just got home from seeing this.
 i know it shouldn't annoy me, but some of the editing of the performances really annoyed me... like showing bits from other songs in the middle of the songs that were being performed, etc.

i appreciated the 'not morrissey' thing coming up, because i really thought it was morrissey.

there were probably MAYBE 50 people at the theater down here in richmond.

Random Citizen

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 11:53:00 pm »
There was a good crowd at the Gallery Place viewing. Bearman, I'm guessing you were part of the bear contingent in the audience. My friend/Coachella travel buddy was like, "Um, are we in the right theatre?"  :D

I liked the film and honestly, I was happy that I didn't have to hear a Bright Eyes song in its entirety.  :p  Not sure if people who haven't attended the festival would enjoy it, though.

helicon1

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 12:01:00 am »
My thoughts:

1. Why did the director seem to take the last song of each performer's set?

2. Highlight was Noel Gallagher vs. Saul Williams being interviewed about musicians and politics -- "People don't come to gigs to listen to artists sing the news" said Noel. Great stuff!

3. There was a moment when Thom Yorke smiled with his horrible teeth, his lazy eye and I thought Thom was a science project gone bad.

4. Bjork's performance was the best on film

5. I just don't get Conor Oberst and the Arcade Fire. Sorry.

Random Citizen

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 12:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:

2. Highlight was Noel Gallagher vs. Saul Williams being interviewed about musicians and politics -- "People don't come to gigs to listen to artists sing the news" said Noel. Great stuff!

I enjoyed that as well. Great editing.

distance

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 12:11:00 am »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:
 1. Why did the director seem to take the last song of each performer's set?

i don't necessarily think they did.
 neither the radiohead songs nor the pixies songs were the last songs of the set.  they were edited to make it look like that.  the very end of the radiohead set was actually 'everything in its right place' with 'forever' scrolling across the screen.  planet telex (which was actually in the film) was earlier in the set.

i thought they made him out to be quite the jackass (noel).   not only that but also with the 'bands that really play instruments' stuff.

3. There was a moment when Thom Yorke smiled with his horrible teeth, his lazy eye and I thought Thom was a science project gone bad.

i thought there were a lot of unflattering shots in the film of a lot of people?

4. Bjork's performance was the best on film

sorry, i thought someone was flogging a cat.
 i don't understand the hype surrounding bjork.

5. I just don't get Conor Oberst and the Arcade Fire. Sorry.
what's there to get?  they're just bad.

bearman🐻

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 12:17:00 am »
HA! Yep, that sure was me with that big old group. But I did bring along 2 lady friends as well. But yeah, there was a pretty big gathering of us. I figure it's my job to help educate, and boy were folks tearing out of there to go on iTunes and look up bands.

Overall I thought the movie was absolutely fantastic and did a nice job of recreating what it is like to be there. A lot of my friends had never really heard of Coachella or didn't quite understand the whole thing, but now a few of them are ready to book plane tickets and go this year. I think it's a nice way to focus on the music, the fact that people go there as a community to appreciate music. Sure, there are some folks who might go to see and be seen or be cool/hip. Last year the OC cast was there, but for the most part it's people who love music and are there because they truly want to be there and experience what a unique and special place it is. I think the movie captured that nicely.