Author Topic: Coachella movie roll call  (Read 5324 times)

K8teebug

Re: Coachella movie roll call
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 09:01:00 am »
I agree w/ you, bearman.  The movie really captured the excitement of being there.  Even if it is in 106 degree heat.  It made me sad that I can't go this year b/c of weddings.....

eros

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2006, 10:21:00 am »
Couldn't make it last night.  Is the movie going to regular release or straight-to-video?  Anybody know of a release date?
ʎɐʍou

SalParadise

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2006, 11:48:00 am »
Originally posted by Glass Arm Shattering:

4. Bjork's performance was the best on film

yep. and i'm not even that into her music. but i won't miss her next she comes around.

bearman🐻

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
I just don't get Bjork...I like a few of her singles and appreciate the fact that she's got a very unique voice, but at the end of the day she's like arsenic to me.

I appreciate the Arcade Fire a little more now. They're a decent band, I really like some of their songs, but I think they're overhyped big time. The Mars Volta rocked out, but ultimately they didn't do much for me. And I REALLY REALLY don't get Bright Eyes. Someone tried to compare him to Elliott Smith, but I can't hear it. Elliott may have worn his heart on his sleeve and written some pretty and sad tunes, but thankfully I never saw anyone walk away from his show in tears. Icky.

I loved Fischerspooner and promptly got "Emerge" off of iTunes. I need to see that show next time they come around. A lot of the other stuff in the movie I loved...Pixies (of course), Belle and Sebastian was hilarious, Iggy, Flaming Lips. I wish they had shown more of Squarepusher. And it would have been excellent to see something from Queens of the Stone Age too. I think I would have swapped them with the Mars Volta. And it's a shame they didn't show Kraftwerk, who were fantastic and one of the best things I've ever seen. Still, I love the movie...I think it will get a DVD release a bit later this year, no date that I'm aware of though.

distance

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2006, 12:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:
  Couldn't make it last night.  Is the movie going to regular release or straight-to-video?  Anybody know of a release date?
i don't know of the date, but you can pre-order the dvd with your order of tickets in the pre-sale for the festival that started this morning.

helicon1

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  And I REALLY REALLY don't get Bright Eyes. Someone tried to compare him to Elliott Smith, but I can't hear it. Elliott may have worn his heart on his sleeve and written some pretty and sad tunes, but thankfully I never saw anyone walk away from his show in tears. Icky.

I learned that Conor Oberst's lyrics are painfully stupid.

distance

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 01:56:00 pm »
  I learned that Conor Oberst's lyrics are
 painfully stupid.
i had a good laugh at the girl crying at the end of his set.
 it made me think of the people crying and screaming during the michael jackson concert footage you see on tv.

bearman🐻

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »
I would have been crying too...over the fact that I wasted 40 minutes of my life (that I could never get back) listening to that caterwauling. A better name for Bright Eyes would probably be Pity Party. Not that some performances haven't affected me before, but that was just ridiculous.

distance

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I would have been crying too...over the fact that I wasted 40 minutes of my life (that I could never get back) listening to that caterwauling. A better name for Bright Eyes would probably be Pity Party. Not that some performances haven't affected me before, but that was just ridiculous.
yeah.  i'd never seen him live before.
 fortunately i missed out on that at the 04 one.

but i've felt that 'i just wasted X amount of my life watching this band' on a good number of occasions.  it's easier to deal with at a festival when you can just walk away.. .but when they're an opener at a show and you showed up early...

SalParadise

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:

I learned that Conor Oberst's lyrics are
 painfully stupid.
i had a good laugh at the girl crying at the end of his set.
 it made me think of the people crying and screaming during the michael jackson concert footage you see on tv. [/b]
i laughed too. but then i thought "maybe that girl had a good friend that died from a drug overdose? and hearing him sing that triggered memories?" so i quickly shut myself up... (but continued laughing on the inside).

sonickteam2

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »
when bright eyes played at Coachella in 04, we were waiting in the back of the crowd for them to end, so we could get close for BRMC and there were these 3 guys with boxes of tissues and as Bright Eyes went off stage and the people started turning and walking to their next destination, these guys were handing out tissues to everyone.

it would have been the funniest thing i had ever seen, except i couldnt be sure whether they were joking or not.....

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Thom Foolerie:
  when bright eyes played at Coachella in 04, we were waiting in the back of the crowd for them to end, so we could get close for BRMC and there were these 3 guys with boxes of tissues and as Bright Eyes went off stage and the people started turning and walking to their next destination, these guys were handing out tissues to everyone.

it would have been the funniest thing i had ever seen, except i couldnt be sure whether they were joking or not.....
Oh, this is hilarious! Too bad it didn't make the movie. Or did it?

I'm mixed about wanting to see the movie. Would love to see it just because it's Coachella yet they seem to focus mostly on all of the bands that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever.

helicon1

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2006, 03:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

I'm mixed about wanting to see the movie. Would love to see it just because it's Coachella yet they seem to focus mostly on all of the bands that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever. [/b]
I thought about the hundreds of bands who were not on film. But there is no way to fit everyone, and for the good of the films success, they have to use artists that have some name recognition.

joz

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

Originally posted by Jaguar:

I'm mixed about wanting to see the movie. Would love to see it just because it's Coachella yet they seem to focus mostly on all of the bands that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever. [/b]
I thought about the hundreds of bands who were not on film. But there is no way to fit everyone, and for the good of the films success, they have to use artists that have some name recognition. [/b]
actually, i was pretty disappointed with the editing. i think they could've showcased a lot more acts by choosing shorter songs, or focusing on the most energetic/interesting parts of the performance. i mean, did we really need to watch 3 minutes each of prodigy, rhcp and oasis? i'm a huge radiohead/pixies fan, but i would have been satisfied with snippets of their performances to see others instead. and, for god's sake, no bauhaus with peter murphy hanging upside down for bela lugosi's dead?

i was also blown away by fischerspooner...has anyone on the board seen him live otherwise?

helicon1

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:

i was also blown away by fischerspooner...has anyone on the board seen him live otherwise? [/b]
Actually, yes. They played 930 in 2003.  It felt more like a Vegas revue than a concert. No instruments on stage; just Fischer and Spooner and 30 dancers. It was a fun show.