Author Topic: System Review  (Read 3022 times)

GabrielG54

System Review
« on: May 11, 2005, 10:50:00 pm »
Quick, brutal, nonstop 65 minutes of rock. Daren looked entirely disinterested.  Played only a 4 maybe 5 new songs. Lots of old stuff.  Great show. thats all.

andyrichter

Re: System Review
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 11:08:00 pm »
The guys came down with the flu.  That's why daron wasn't as into it.  Still a fucking amazing show they put on.  A night well spent sleeping on the streets of DC.

waverunner

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 11:40:00 pm »
Just got home from the 930 clu0b. Like the other guy said, nonstop straight up system for 65 minutes. i loved every minute of it, but must say i was a little disappointed that it was over so fast and there was no goodnight, thanks for coming or anything. After all, i did get up at 5am and wait for 4 hrs this morning to see them, but for 30 bucks i would do it all over again. and if its true that they were ill it sure didnt look like it! Awesome. cant wait for the new album.

vjme13

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 12:12:00 am »
How do I start.... I love SOAD... Daron totally just wasn't into it and fucked up a lot of the mood, all of the other guys were awesome as shit....  there was a stupid bitch in front of me that was "dancing" and her fucking long ass hair was getting on my face.... she ruined some part of the show as well.
 Either way I guess for the 30 bucks it was OK, they where better at Ozzfest in my opinion just 'cuz there was more energy.
  I feel that the fans made a HUGE effort to go out there, camping out and buying tickets from ebay for ridiculous prices (one ticket was being sold for $103 bucks)... those people just deserved so much more... I mean come on... 65 minutes of a day that Daron could have really thrown down for his fans..... oh well.... I guess I still got the satisfaction to see them play a full set....

eatitwithmatt

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 12:39:00 am »
i thought they did fine.  kind of sad about no encore but other than that they were great.

although i was wondering what serj was wearing when he first came out.

ibekingfish

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 06:53:00 am »
HUNG OUT WITH THE GUYS AFTER THE SHOW..AND YES THEY WERE ALL VERY SICK. DARON HAD IT PRETTY BAD...SHAVO ROCKED OUT 4 US AND HE IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT TODAY...THEY ALSO CANCELLED THERE LAST SHOW IN TORONTO....BUT STILL PLAYED DC..SO I HOPE EVERYONE CHECKS OUT THE BAND IN AUGUST WHEN THEY COME THROUGH.

GabrielG54

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 07:55:00 am »
although i was wondering what serj was wearing when he first came out.
No Kidding! All he was missing was boots and a cowboy hat! He can certainly look very awkward up there.

Ah well - if i had to do it all over again - that is, surfing the 930 message board at 6pm while barbqing in my backyard and finding out tickets were available online - i would.

snowdog69

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 08:15:00 am »
System show was great, my third in 5 yrs. Nice crowd, awesome sound, Daron was bushed, Was he sick?, or something else. Maybe a woman was fucking his mind, worse then ten flu's and explosive diarea, Anyway, electric, pulverizing, punchy, no fucking encore? Hated those damn strobes, Just fucking puke on yourself and the crowd if nessesary. SOAD is on top. Their new song byob blends and cuts you up. Live long my brothers.

frezzdoggy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 08:32:00 am »
That shit was fucking awesome!  I've been waiting almost 4 years to finally see system.  I wish they would've played an encore, but oh well.  It was pure mayhem while they were playing.  The crowd was so into it... it was everything I had hoped for from my favorite band.  I too noticed Daron didn't seem "all there..." Gotta give him props for banging out blazin' riffs with the flu though.  It was definitely worth the $30!  (well actually... you could say it was $130... because my car got towed!!  (fuck shit piss)  but I got it back for $100 within 10 minutes of finding out it got towed so fuck it.)  WITH JUST ONE POGO STICK!!

snowdog69

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 11:55:00 am »
Hitmeintheface left a message about soad being a bad show. what a filthy cunt. The show was great I agree with you

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »
i've never seen so many newbies post on a single subject, ever.  what what the average age of the crowd?  did the club lose money on beer sales?

twangirl

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  i've never seen so many newbies post on a single subject, ever.  
So you weren't around for the Justin Timberlake hysteria then.

andyrichter

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  i've never seen so many newbies post on a single subject, ever.  what what the average age of the crowd?  did the club lose money on beer sales?
I'd guess late teens/early 20s.

Bags

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
May 12, 2005

From Punk to Rap, the Varied Guises of the Hard-Rock Sound

By KELEFA SANNEH
 The New York Times

Contract disputes usually aren't much fun to eavesdrop on, but an exception must be made for Linkin Park, the deceptively mild-mannered rap-rock band that's feuding with its record company, the Warner Music Group.

Last week the Firm, Linkin Park's management company, issued an entertaining press release. Among other things, the statement said that Warner Music Group's stock offering might weaken the company's ability to "market and promote Linkin Park." This was a neat reversal, since the usual complaint about major labels is the exact opposite: they spend too much money marketing and promoting bands like Linkin Park.

Even more startling was the group's casual claim that they were Warner Music Group's "biggest act," a claim that echoes one made by the Warner Music chairman Edgar Bronfman Jr., who has described the group as "the biggest rock band in the world." Really? Linkin Park? Those rather anonymous-looking guys who recently did time as Jay-Z's backup band? How did that happen?

The answer is that Linkin Park triumphed mainly by not messing up. Less flamboyant and less mediagenic than their rap-rock contemporaries, the members surpassed the competition by working hard and keeping relatively low profiles. The band's second and most recent full-length album, "Meteora," has sold more than 10 million copies, even though Chester Bennington (the lead singer) and Mike Shinoda (the lead rapper) are hardly household names.

By contrast, look what happened to Limp Bizkit, once one of rap-rock's best-selling acts. After a string of hits, the lead barker Fred Durst became better known as a celebrity punch line than as a rap-rock frontman. More people probably remember his rumored fling with Britney Spears or that disastrous Chicago concert (the band was reportedly run off the stage; some fans later sued over the shortened set) than remember the group's 2003 album, "Results May Vary."

Indeed, things have gotten so dire for Limp Bizkit that the band has now embraced precisely the situation that Linkin Park says it is worried about. The new Limp Bizkit mini-album, "The Unquestionable Truth (Part 1)," released by Geffen, snuck into stores last week with virtually no marketing or promotion. This wasn't just a quiet release but a secret one: the band has made no mention of the CD in recent interviews, and many fans (yes, some remain) were doubtless surprised to stroll into record stores on May 3 and find a new Limp Bizkit release on the racks.

While Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit have been busy with (respectively) high-profile press releases and low-profile CDs, an unlikely contender has emerged as the country's favorite heavy rock band of the moment. The hyper-quirky Armenian-American protest-metal act, System of a Down, is in the middle of a whirlwind promotional tour that has included an appearance on "Saturday Night Live" and a so-called "guerrilla tour" (because the band is playing small venues) that came to Irving Plaza on Monday night. All of this is intended to ensure that the band's new CD, "Mezmerize" (American/Columbia), will enjoy one of the year's biggest debuts when it's released on Tuesday.

It's hard to imagine better evidence of the topsy-turvy state of loud rock. While Limp Bizkit bashes out chest-pounding rap-rock on an underground EP, System of a Down is on "Saturday Night Live" playing an antiwar song called, "BYOB," which has singer Serj Tankian exclaiming, "My God is of Bible blood with pointed ears."

The strange thing about Limp Bizkit is that Mr. Durst has always been at pains to portray himself as an underdog, even when his band seemed like a corporate-rock juggernaut. If he were a better lyricist (or a more likable celebrity), his self-pity might have been easier to swallow. As it was, you often had to ignore him in order to enjoy his band's surprisingly propulsive riffs.

The new Limp Bizkit mini-album marks the band's reunion with its adventurous guitarist, Wes Borland, and the songs are as loud and raucous as any Bizkit fan could hope for, full of gluey bass lines and exploding backbeats. Unfortunately, Mr. Durst's rants are as unpalatable as ever: his take on evil priests ("The Priest") falls particularly flat.

Still, System of a Down fans shouldn't be too quick to hop aboard the anti-Durst bandwagon: Mr. Tankian is hardly immune to awkward polemics. In fact, the two singers sometimes write surprisingly similar lyrics. One of these bands has a song that includes the words, "Crying freedom/ Handed to obsoletion/ Still you feed us lies from the tablecloth." One has a song that includes the words, "Rebellious at heart all along/ Is your leader a voice?/ Somehow you've replaced all your gain with a debt." Can you guess which is which?

If nothing else, the diverging tales of System of a Down and Limp Bizkit show just how quickly hard-rock paradigms can shift: at a time when the Latino post-punk noisemakers in Mars Volta seem poised to outsell the rap-rock dinosaurs in Korn, Mr. Tankian's self-conscious weirdness seems a lot fresher than Mr. Durst's red-hatted rage. So if the members of "the biggest rock band in the world" seem surprisingly nervous about their maintaining their stature, maybe they have good reason. All rock bands love pretending to be underdogs, but as Mr. Durst can attest, it's not always fun to become one.

frezzdoggy

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 01:00:00 pm »
I don't know about the average age...me and the 4 dudes I was rollin' with are 24-26 if that helps.  I'm definitely a newbie to this board (and to 9:30 club in general)... but not a newbie on the bar scene.  9:30 is a place I will definitely be coming back to... although drinks were pretty expensive.  I spent $32 on Long Island's alone...