Author Topic: In band/out of band relationships?  (Read 5130 times)

SPARX

Re: In band/out of band relationships?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 04:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  []No, we both talk about it. She knows she's not being a really good girlfriend, and actually seems to know what one is. i'm not stressing over this, nor looking for relationship advice, we're cool...maybe i'm just looking for a success story.
John and yoko?

ggw

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 04:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Mankie does bring up a good point.  Also, something to notice.  Are you the only one concerned about the fact that both of you aren't seeing that much of each other?
No, we both talk about it. She knows she's not being a really good girlfriend, and actually seems to know what one is. i'm not stressing over this, nor looking for relationship advice, we're cool...maybe i'm just looking for a success story. [/b]
Personally, I don't think the ideal relationship is about two people chasing the same passions.

She does her thing, you do yours.  Giving the other one support while they chase their dreams is far more important, in my book, than being totally in sync.

After all, a couple is still composed of two individuals.  Sometimes the strongest couples are those comprised of two people strong enough to realize that and able to give their partner the room to be an individual.

So she's occupied with her band now?  I don't think that makes her a "bad girlfriend" (I'm sure you don't either).  Support her, encourage her, etc... while doing your own thing, and I'm sure everything will be fine.

SPARX

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw™:
 [[/qb]
Personally, I don't think the ideal relationship is about two people chasing the same passions.

She does her thing, you do yours.  Giving the other one support while they chase their dreams is far more important, in my book, than being totally in sync.

After all, a couple is still composed of two individuals.  Sometimes the strongest couples are those comprised of two people strong enough to realize that and able to give their partner the room to be an individual.

So she's occupied with her band now?  I don't think that makes her a "bad girlfriend" (I'm sure you don't either).  Support her, encourage her, etc... while doing your own thing, and I'm sure everything will be fine. [/QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                             I wholeheartedly concurr!!

paige

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 04:52:00 pm »
I'm seeing someone who is in a band, and I know what you are saying. It's tough when everyone is sitting around talking about music (the writing aspect, not just what bands they're listening to at the moment) and feeling almost out of place because you can't fully relate. Then comes in the practicing, playing shows, recording, etc etc. My boyfriend's band is very dedicated and all, but because most of the guys are still going to college and working to pay rent, it hasn't consumed their lives entirely - yet.

I don't go to every show, waiting around for him to be free so we can talk, but I support them and help them out in any way possible. But I also have my own life and everything that everyone else has said. It's great that you're trying to learn music yourself, which shows that you are committed to her and want to make an effort. But you're going to have to work at it (both sides, not just one or the other). The truth is, love isn't the only thing that keeps relationships working. If you both try to make time for each other (maybe one night a week make dinner together and just enjoy the time to yourselves, or whatever) and be supportive, understanding, and compromise, then it will all be ok.

I think I wrote too much.

Good luck redsock!!   :)

SPARX

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2003, 04:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:
  . It's great that you're trying to learn music yourself, which shows that you are committed to her and want to make an effort.
Would that mean if she were a hairdresser,eventually he should become a stylist?   :eek:

mankie

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2003, 04:56:00 pm »
If you need somebody, call my name
 If you want someone, you can do the same
 If you want to keep something precious
 You got to lock it up and throw away the key
 If you want to hold onto your possession
 Don't even think about me

If you love somebody
 If you love someone
 If you love somebody
 If you love someone, set them free

Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free

If it's a mirror you want, just look into my eyes
 Or a whipping boy, someone to despise
 Or a prisoner in the dark
 Tied up in chains you just can't see
 Or a beast in a gilded cage
 That's all some people ever want to be

If you love somebody
 If you love someone
 If you love somebody
 If you love someone, set them free

Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free

You can't control an independent heart
 Can't tear the one you love apart
 Forever conditioned to believe that we can't live
 We can't live here and be happy with less
 So many riches, so many souls
 Everything we see that we want to possess

If  you need somebody, call my name
 If you want someone, you can do the same
 If you want to keep something precious
 You got to lock it up and throw away the key
 If you want to hold onto your possession
 Don't even think about me

If you love somebody
 If you love someone
 If you love somebody
 If you love someone set them free

Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free

paige

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2003, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

Originally posted by paige:
  . It's great that you're trying to learn music yourself, which shows that you are committed to her and want to make an effort.
Would that mean if she were a hairdresser,eventually he should become a stylist?    :eek:  [/b]
what i meant was it's nice to see a guy make an effort to connect with his girlfriend on a level other than "we both like to watch tv" or something. it's not that easy to learn to play guitar well, or most instruments.

SPARX

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2003, 05:01:00 pm »
what i meant was it's nice to see a guy make an effort to connect with his girlfriend on a level other than "we both like to watch tv" or something. it's not that easy to learn to play guitar well, or most instruments. [/QB]
Who says it's easy to get those tints just right?   ;)

redsock

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2003, 05:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free
 Set them free
I've had nightmares about that song, even though i believe what it says.

Celeste

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2003, 05:06:00 pm »
me and my brother always made up lyrics to songs when we were kids (I'm sure we weren't the only ones) and we used to say "Free, free, sex with me"  to the tune of this song  :o

jadetree

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2003, 05:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:
  me and my brother always made up lyrics to songs when we were kids (I'm sure we weren't the only ones) and we used to say "Free, free, sex with me"  to the tune of this song   :o  
you had sex with your brother?

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »
Sting lyrics on the 9:30 chatboard. I didn't think it could get any worse...

redsock

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Sting lyrics on the 9:30 chatboard. I didn't think it could get any worse...
It's all my fault, I should hand in my log-in name...

Celeste

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2003, 05:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Robert Pollard:

me and my brother always made up lyrics to songs when we were kids (I'm sure we weren't the only ones) and we used to say "Free, free, sex with me"  to the tune of this song    :o  
you had sex with your brother? [/b]
no, silly, we just used to sing...only the Welsh and Southerners play it like that

jadetree

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2003, 05:26:00 pm »
  no, silly, we just used to sing...only the Welsh and Southerners play it like that
oh, ok, I guess West Virginia is the South