Author Topic: Kasabian  (Read 10231 times)

beedubyah

Re: Kasabian
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
   their album did not prepare me at all for one of the best 9:30 Club concerts of the year.  
Told you guys.  These guys are something special...

Arthwys

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2005, 11:49:00 am »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks Kasabian are brilliant.  I concur that it was annoying to have two great British bands playing separate venues on the same night.
Emrys

wxdude

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
I concur with most of the other comments.  I thought they were even better last night than when I saw them open for The Music back in February.  As good as the CD is, they are even better live.  I look forward to seeing them again in Austin in September.  As far as the openers, I liked Rock and Roll Soldiers a little more than Mad Action.  Too bad there were only about 25 people for their performance.  Great show overall, expecially for 10 bucks!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2005, 12:02:00 pm »
Well guess I'm alone in the opinion that Kasabian is an average band and a much weaker version of the bands they cop their influences from, Primal Scream, Oasis, etc.  Frankly I heard little that resembled The Stone Roses.  At one point I had to check and make sure I was transported back in time to the All-American Rejects shows because the singer had once again reminded the crowd they were in DC.
T.Rex

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
great show last night.   :)  

i managed to get a set list from one of the crew. he was nice enough to make sure i got it, as some people decided they were going to push me over to grab it. some people just have no manners these days! (again maybe im really showing my age)..
HeyLa

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2005, 12:24:00 pm »
the schedule did shift 15 minutes earlier last night and mad action didn't play all of  their alloted 45 minutes..
T.Rex

Arlette

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2005, 12:35:00 pm »
Here's the odd thing:  I can rip them apart logically, with severe criticisms, but still, I just....feel it.  To wit:

1.  Main frontman, Tom, has no verbal charisma or rapport with the crowd.  He is repetitive and cliched. "thank you Wershingtun, D.C"  "God Bless Wershingtun, D.C."

2.  Their influences are clearly obvious, though they claim they never listened to those bands and instead wanted to make music that fell between DJ Shadow's Endtroducing and Revolver.  

3.  Serge's backing vocals are repetitive. The "ahhhh's" appear often.  Sometimes I can't remember what song I am seeing/hearing becase they end up sounding alike.

All of that being said, they were GREAT. Whoever said the drummer was the key was right on.  He was (overused word --->) propulsive.  

I was shocked by the size and enthusiasm of the crowd. They have come far in a short period of time.  I especially liekd how they sometimes changed transitions in songs so they didn't sound exactly like the album version.

Oh, just thought of another:

4.  They use too much hair care product.  Damn, every strand was in perfect place and never moved.  Or, they were just really dirty and probably smelly.  

And another:

5. Did they even play the typical 75 minutes?  I think they went on at 10:05 and got off at 11:10.  65 minutes including encore.  Too short for a headliner, even if it was only $10.00.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  the schedule did shift 15 minutes earlier last night and mad action didn't play all of  their alloted 45 minutes..
that would explain it Kosmo. Thanks!
HeyLa

Relaxer

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2005, 06:36:00 pm »
I thought Kasabian's warm-up performance for The Music was great. They looked good, they sounded good, the light show was top-notch. The songs seemed instantly familiar, and the groove came across real well. I was raving about it for weeks afterward.

As a headliner though, I felt like they didn't quite make it. It was a good, fun show overall, and they certainly gave it their all, but there's something a little empty about them. The songs are catchy and groovy, but there's just not a lot to them. It's all a bunch of random slogans and expresions of attitude, and since songs like that usually don't touch people all that much, a band will only get so far until they figure out how to write better songs/lyrics.

Ultimately a fine way to spend ten bucks though.
oword

Darth Ed

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  i managed to get a set list from one of the crew. he was nice enough to make sure i got it, as some people decided they were going to push me over to grab it. some people just have no manners these days! (again maybe im really showing my age)..
Could you post the set list please?

Thanks,
 Ed

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
Could you post the set list please?

Thanks,
 Ed [/b]
sure no problem. it'll be posted later on today/tomorrow when im at home and have the set list in front of me.
HeyLa

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2005, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  I know nothing about Mad Action though. Are they along the same lines?
It's like the Village People had a baby with Lemmy and taught it to smoke meth.