Author Topic: Power outtage in NYC, elsewhere  (Read 5401 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Power outtage in NYC, elsewhere
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 06:02:00 pm »
All the reports I've heard and read say that the blackout didn't hit the DC area but this is not true; it hit the University of Maryland, College Park. The power was out for about 20 minutes.
😐 🎶

Venerable Bede

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2003, 06:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:
  All the reports I've heard and read say that the blackout didn't hit the DC area but this is not true; it hit the University of Maryland, College Park. The power was out for about 20 minutes.
well. . that would be difficult to believe since the dc area is not at all interconnected with the NiMo line that went down.
OU812

Bags

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2003, 06:24:00 pm »
And Cleveland is?  Trust me, the grid is fully integrated across the nation.  It's a hell of lot more complicated than NiMo's line.

paige

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2003, 07:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

Originally posted by paige:
  all of the thousands of hipsters blew the circuits whilst blowdrying their hair. what a shame.
if I remember correctly, it is not hip to blow dry one's hair [/b]
pardon me, i shall be more specific... those damn Electroclashers love to have their hair stick straight and shinier than glass. It accents the White Blonde/Jet Black skunk look that is their hair.

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2003, 08:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  And Cleveland is?  Trust me, the grid is fully integrated across the nation.  It's a hell of lot more complicated than NiMo's line.
if the problem was in Niagara Falls, then Cleveland is a lot closer than DC  :)

Bags

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2003, 08:48:00 pm »
By now you've seen the maps of the eastern interconnect, which actually encompasses about 60% of the country's grid.  This is what I do for a living, I was just noting that DC *is* interconnected to the NiMo line.

Not being defensive, sonick...just noting.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2003, 08:13:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Anybody know anything about it?
I'm sticking by Bush's story, "We don't know what caused it, but we're 100% certain it wasn't terrorism!  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

How can you "not know" and be "100% certain" in the same sentence.  If this isn't an example of Orwellian doublespeak, then what is?

BTW: Not to quote FIGHT CLUB, but "He was wearing his cornflower blue tie" last nite on TV.

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2003, 08:40:00 am »
I'm currently writing a screenplay called "Blackout". I'll be ready to see the rights to it on Monday, if anyone is interested. And no, it won't star Denzel Washington, despite its title.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2003, 09:22:00 am »
...Seen it already.

thirsty moore

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2003, 09:53:00 am »
I thought the Hitachi Magic Wand came with batteries.  But what do I know.

Originally posted by Samantha:
 yeah, especially since I've been using my vibrator nonstop this past month of my celibacy

Venerable Bede

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2003, 10:03:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:
 [QB] By now you've seen the maps of the eastern interconnect, which actually encompasses about 60% of the country's grid.  This is what I do for a living, I was just noting that DC *is* interconnected to the NiMo line.

well. . .by looking at the map and the probable location (near niagara falls), you can note that convergence of several high voltage lines just into canada. . .if one of those tripped, the casacade would fall to both sides, thus, down to nyc and to the other side, cleveland and ohio.  while the entire u.s. grid is interconnected (except texas), pjm should have enough power itself to buffer it's grid from the failure, which it did.  however, with this new report about ohio being the cause, i haven't a clue how this entire transmission grid failed. . .i know why the power plants shut down, but why the lines failed. . .guess i'll have to wait a few years for ferc to finally issue its report.

btw, i do this for a living too.   :)
OU812

mankie

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2003, 10:06:00 am »
OH QUIT YER BLOODY WHINGING...In Scotland they've never had electricity, or indoor plumbing for that matter.

;)

Samantha

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2003, 10:14:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  OH QUIT YER BLOODY WHINGING...In Scotland they've never had electricity, or indoor plumbing for that matter.

;)  
och aye

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2003, 10:34:00 am »
Thirsty Moore, sex toy conosewer.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I thought the Hitachi Magic Wand came with batteries.  But what do I know.

Originally posted by Samantha:
 yeah, especially since I've been using my vibrator nonstop this past month of my celibacy
[/b]

thirsty moore

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2003, 10:39:00 am »
It all started with that Tupperware party I went to...