Author Topic: Power outtage in NYC, elsewhere  (Read 5402 times)

Power outtage in NYC, elsewhere
« on: August 14, 2003, 04:56:00 pm »
Anybody know anything about it?

paige

Re: Power outtage in NYC, elsewhere
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
all of the thousands of hipsters blew the circuits whilst blowdrying their hair. what a shame.

thirsty moore

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 04:59:00 pm »
All I've read is an uninformative Reuters piece.  I'm surprised it didn't hit DC.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 05:00:00 pm »
from msnbc

FEDERAL POWER REGULATORS did not identify the power plant, but CNN reported that a fire had been reported at a transformer at the Consolidated Edison plant in New York City. Most of the affected cities are linked on the same regional power grid.
        Officials of the Homeland Security Department said there were no indications that the blackout was the work of terrorists.
        The evening rush hour was just beginning in the East, and NBC correspondents described scenes of pandemonium as thousands of New Yorkers streamed into streets where traffic signals were not operating.
        The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said it was crippled. Buses, trains and subways were not running. WNBC-TV reported that fire crews were heading down into the subways to check on thousands of stranded passengers.
        Jim Tsumi of Riverdale, N.Y., was sitting on the shoulder of Highway 495 leading to the Lincoln Tunnel.
        ??I got no hope getting home tonight,? he said, pointing across the river at Manhattan, where the West Side Highway and a two-mile traffic jam were clearly visible. ??It??s like 9/11 again. I hope this is nothing big.?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

? WNBC newscast: Power outages across North America
 ? Video Headlines:
 Top news updates
 ? Coming up: Navy acquistion program
 ? More live video

The blackout stretched from Hartford, Conn., and Syracuse, N.Y., west to Detroit and Cleveland and north to northwest Ontario. The entire city of Toronto was affected, MSNBC television reported.
        The Federal Aviation Administration said that its facilities were operating normally on backup power and that planes in the air were in no danger. FAA officials told NBC News that individual airport terminals could be affected, however, and Detroit Metropolitan Airport was temporarily closed.
        Much of New England, however, including all of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire, southern Vermont and eastern Connecticut, were unaffected, as were other areas of Canada, including Montreal and Quebec City.

Celeste

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 05:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by paige:
  all of the thousands of hipsters blew the circuits whilst blowdrying their hair. what a shame.
if I remember correctly, it is not hip to blow dry one's hair

mankie

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

if I remember correctly, it is not hip to blow dry one's hair [/b]
in fact, it's rather fin!   ;)

ggw

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
I remember being a kid during the great NYC blackouts of the late '70s, and all I can say is, if the power ain't back by sundown, it'll be a looter's paradise.

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  All I've read is an uninformative Reuters piece.  I'm surprised it didn't hit DC.
yeah, especially since I've been using my vibrator nonstop this past month of my celibacy

lily1

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
i thought it wasn't even hip to wash one's hair?

/QUOTE]if I remember correctly, it is not hip to blow dry one's hair

jadetree

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 05:11:00 pm »
I don't think Bloomberg played enough sim city

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 05:16:00 pm »
Anyone want to drive up to NYC tonight for some shopping? I bet Mankie's on his way now.
Originally posted by ggw?:
  I remember being a kid during the great NYC blackouts of the late '70s, and all I can say is, if the power ain't back by sundown, it'll be a looter's paradise.

Celeste

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

if I remember correctly, it is not hip to blow dry one's hair [/b]
in fact, it's rather fin!    ;)  [/b]
ha ha...that reminds me...I noticed just this morning a seafood resto on 19th st. called Fin...if they only knew!

lily1

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 05:21:00 pm »
it used to be georgetown seafood but they redesigned it and renamed it. not that georgetown seafood was all that good, but i did sometimes stop by there for oysters. fin is bad though, very bad. don't go there.

Celeste

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 05:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  it used to be georgetown seafood but they redesigned it and renamed it. not that georgetown seafood was all that good, but i did sometimes stop by there for oysters. fin is bad though, very bad. don't go there.
I wouldn't. Aside from the name, their identity (sign, posters, etc.) is lame, and I'm vegetarian anywayz

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 05:46:00 pm »
GREAT!! as i am getting my oil chaned to drive north to Toronto, i hear this on the news.

I bet NO ONE would have guessed this would be what happens to the Radiohead show on Sat.

i figured, storms, hurricanes, even a blizzard but not a blackout...good one. they better get that shit on soon!