Author Topic: Opinions on Albums  (Read 2337 times)

ggw

Opinions on Albums
« on: August 19, 2004, 01:51:00 pm »
Anybody have an opinion on these new albums:

Sparta -- Porcelain
 The Roots -- Tipping Point
 The Minus 5 -- In Rock (I guess this is technically a reissue)

Bags

Re: Opinions on Albums
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 02:00:00 pm »
I have the Minus 5 album, but haven't listened to it.  Crazy, I know -- I bought it in a big splurge and it got lost amidst the rest.  You've inspired me...

I have a question -- anyone get or hear the new Ken Stringfellow?  I'm worried that it's too mellow, singer/songwriter-y.

redsock

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 02:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  I have the Minus 5 album, but haven't listened to it.  Crazy, I know -- I bought it in a big splurge and it got lost amidst the rest.  You've inspired me...

I have a question -- anyone get or hear the new Ken Stringfellow?  I'm worried that it's too mellow, singer/songwriter-y.
He played at jammin java, which, while this will be argued by one of the boardies, is home to a lot of singer/songwriter folks.

Bags

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 02:58:00 pm »
I would have gone to the Java show, but something else was that night....still, the album could be Jason Falkner or Tommy Keene-type singer/songwriter-y, which would be fine.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 03:12:00 pm »
Gee whiz, there are good singer-songwriter albums, and there are bad ones, just like any other genre.

That being said, I was unimpressed by the Stringfellow clips I listened to.

Haven't heard any of the ones GGW asked about.

SalParadise

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 03:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

The Roots -- Tipping Point

this is one of my favorite groups making music today. with that said, it's their first disappointing album to me. imo, they didn't have any skippable tracks in their catalogue until this album.

there's some really nice tracks, but overall..i'd say save your money.

markie

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
  Sparta -- Porcelain

I heard a couple of songs off of it which inspired me not to buy it. Which was a shame as I still dig Wiretap Scars.

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 03:27:00 pm »
Will they be working in a guitar shop in five years?

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Sparta -- Porcelain

I heard a couple of songs off of it which inspired me not to buy it. Which was a shame as I still dig Wiretap Scars. [/b]

eltee

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 03:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
He played at jammin java, which, while this will be argued by one of the boardies, is home to a lot of singer/songwriter folks. [/b]
my ears are burning...no need for the add'l commentary, I hear ya! ;)
 Oh and I saw Ken Stringfellow play. I didn't buy his album. No dislike, just not a fan enough to make a purchase. Although I haven't heard his album, his tunes are not too mellow / folk. His voice is somewhat high-pitched, so the songs become more upbeat. He utilized the piano a lot. An electric unplugged, I believe...Lots of songs w/ the word love in them. Upbeat and positive. Unfortunately, I don't think he has samples up: www.kenstringfellow.com.  They've been playing him a bit on The Loft, which, by the way play a lot of singer/songwriters. ;)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Will they be working in a guitar shop in five years?

Originally posted by mark e smith:

Sparta -- Porcelain

I heard a couple of songs off of it which inspired me not to buy it. Which was a shame as I still dig Wiretap Scars. [/b]
[/b]
unless they go alt-country
o/\o

walkman

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 08:32:00 pm »
I listened to the new Roots disc, and I think the negative press is a little silly - essentially, they decided to produce each track by sampling their live jams and sticking with simple, suitable repetitive hooks and beats.  All of a sudden, the indie scene are calling them traitors...I think thats a little ridiculous.  After all, MCs have been making records without live backup since the genre was invented.  Just because the Roots play their instruments doesn't mean that they don't appreciate and understand hip hop in its simplest form.  And as an MC, Black Thought can do more with less behind him.  That being said, there are some skippable cuts, and that's pretty out of character.  Definitely not their best, but not bad.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 03:14:00 pm »
the roots just need to stop letting questlove dictate every step they make as a band. That guy is seriously conflicted when it comes to what he wants accomplished with each album. It seems they're trying to win back some of the fans from the 'no alibi' and 'what they do' era. But no major is ever going to allow them sound that raw again, especially when they've demonstrated their ability to put out successful crossover singles.

and on a related note, why is Stetsasonic always overlooked when people call the roots the first live hip hop touring band.

Bags

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 01:35:00 pm »
Anyone been listening to this?

MARK LANEGAN This former Screaming Trees frontman and sometime Queens of the Stone Age singer just released his sixth solo album, an elegant, hard-bitten disc called "Bubblegum" (Beggar's Banquet). In a voice so finely frayed it almost sounds gentle, he rasps his heavy-lidded odes to lives spent in pursuit of bliss by the bagful. The album is credited to the Mark Lanegan Band, but the line-up changes from song to song. In "Hit the City," Josh Homme (leader of the Queens) adds a fuzzy, slightly woozy bass line while P. J. Harvey adds a curled-lip descant. And on "Strange Religion," Duff McKagan and Izzy Stradlin (both of whom survived Guns 'n' Roses) help Mr. Lanegan sing a gorgeous, half-disintegrated love song.

The NY Times, Aug 22

Jaguär

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 01:39:00 pm »
I've heard a few songs on 3wk and they sounded kind of nice. Can't say I'm thrilled enough to go out and buy the CD but not sure that I won't either. A lot of people here would probably like it. Nice production and good tunes from the little I've heard.

grotty

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 03:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Anyone been listening to this?

MARK LANEGAN This former Screaming Trees frontman and sometime Queens of the Stone Age singer just released his sixth solo album, an elegant, hard-bitten disc called "Bubblegum" (Beggar's Banquet). In a voice so finely frayed it almost sounds gentle, he rasps his heavy-lidded odes to lives spent in pursuit of bliss by the bagful. The album is credited to the Mark Lanegan Band, but the line-up changes from song to song. In "Hit the City," Josh Homme (leader of the Queens) adds a fuzzy, slightly woozy bass line while P. J. Harvey adds a curled-lip descant. And on "Strange Religion," Duff McKagan and Izzy Stradlin (both of whom survived Guns 'n' Roses) help Mr. Lanegan sing a gorgeous, half-disintegrated love song.

The NY Times, Aug 22
I love it Bags - Gonna be one of my tops for the year for sure.