Author Topic: The Tragically Hip and The Weakerthans  (Read 9551 times)

xcanuck

The Tragically Hip and The Weakerthans
« on: August 19, 2004, 02:09:00 pm »
Sat Sept 25 is gonna be a Canucks wet dream. Two of the top Canadian bands hit DC. Nope - not Shania and Bryan (thank goodness). It's the Tragically Hip and the Weakerthans.

The Hip are doing an early show at the 9:30 and then later that night we'll be able to catch the Weakerthans at the Black Cat.

Definitely a good night of music!

jkeisenh

Re: The Tragically Hip and The Weakerthans
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 02:42:00 pm »
i really really like the Weakerthans.  Good stuff.  They get 4 chimbly stars.

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 03:57:00 pm »
best band playing that night is Lucero, who for some reason are opening for The Weakerthans

ggw

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 03:59:00 pm »
Are you saying that the Weakerthans are weaker than Lucero?

Originally posted by pollard:
  best band playing that night is Lucero, who for some reason are opening for The Weakerthans

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 04:00:00 pm »
I'll be taking a breather that night, between the two best shows of the weekend.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 04:06:00 pm »
you just proved how unHIP you really are, pollard.

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  Sat Sept 25 is gonna be a Canucks wet dream.
I've got my Hip tickets already.  can't wait.

ratioci nation

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 04:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  you just proved how unHIP you really are, pollard.
how tragic

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

yes it is an appropriate name

ggw

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 10:12:00 am »
http://www.tinymixtapes.com/articles/04.08.13-misunderstood_hip.htm

The Misunderstood Hip
 The Plight of the Tragically Hip

by wolfman

There are many misunderstood stories and interpretations in today's world of music, but none compare to the struggle of acceptance that The Tragically Hip endures with each consequent album release, especially south of the Canadian border. Once again, The Tragically Hip will attempt to gain notoriety and a more numerous fan base in the United States with their new album In Between Evolution, their tenth studio album since the late '80s. While their committed and fanatical followers in Canada engulf themselves into another slice of Hip accomplishment, our friendly neighbors to the south have never fully acknowledged their immense talents and achievements. Furthermore, the Hip's incredible music has been described as somewhat diluted across the border, leaving their established foundations weak and shaken. Yet, no one has ever attempted to clarify why this consistently occurs to the group, since it possesses such an incredible back-catalogue of hits. There must be a plethora of reasons why The Hip struggle in the U.S. and I will attempt to alleviate and assuage this unexplained phenomena. But first, if you want to enjoy and take pleasure in listening to The Tragically Hip, you must know who they are and what they represent.

The Tragically Hip is often misinterpreted; that has been established already: But why? Often represented as the epitome of Canadiana, The Hip plays rock 'n roll. This leaves many potential music lovers misjudging The Hip as a novelty act, something regional that cannot be associated with a broader acceptance. Yes it's true, in Canada The Tragically Hip go beyond novelty, affirming a more rigid 'cult' fan base after each consecutive album release. Who else could attract 30,000 people to a mediocre outdoor festival. And furthermore, would a novelty band last as long as they have and expand its musical achievements so willfully? The Hip's career has spawned 17 years, 17 fucking years! Not bad for novelty.

So why have they been exiled from the U.S., while other Canadian bands are welcomed with open arms, especially in today's 'indie' market. Perhaps the lack of real promotion signifies their ultimate downfall, but I believe that The Hip's promo has vastly improved for the last two releases. Maybe the lack of chance The Hip has been given by listeners has left them in the pitfalls, leaving the band members uninterested in expanding its world acceptance. And while bands like The Barenaked Ladies achieve international success for each album release, The Tragically Hip goes unnoticed and overlooked again and again; what a kick in the ass that must be to witness such mediocre bands like The Barenaked Ladies pole vault its stardom above and beyond without a trace of any challenging talent.

Let's paint a clearer image of the band. Who is The Tragically Hip? The band members are Robby Baker (guitar), Gordon Downie (singer), Johnny Fay (drums), Paul Langlois (guitar, vocals), and Gord Sinclair (bass, vocals). "We're a collective, and everything we do is a reflection of the five of us," concludes Gordon Downie, lead vocalist of The Hip. "A lot of it's unspoken, and that has a lot to do with having been together for fifteen years. All of our decisions are basically built around that, and everything flows from that." Bassist Gord Sinclair adds: "We've always felt that the strength of the group is that it is a group, and it's increasingly rare that bands are given the time to develop the kind of working relationship that we have. That's allowed us to create an atmosphere where all five guys can feel like they have an equal voice in what's going down, rather than relying on one or two songwriters, and that allows us to avoid repeating ourselves."

Seventeen years of partnership can put a strain on many bands, but not The Hip, as they completely immerse all band members into the creative process. That is the strength of the band's everlasting tenure in rock 'n roll. The band members possess a calm, down-to-earth disposition that closely relates to the Canadian way of living. Perhaps this temperament has lead many to conclude that The Hip is exceptionally Canadian, unable to create a bond the U.S. market. The Tragically Hip is all about connecting with the music they create and to generate a connection with its fans and listeners; a task that has been an everlasting struggle with many markets of the world, except Canada, to be sure.

The Hip has recorded 10 studio recordings since 1987 and 1 live album. If you want to know more about these albums, please check out this discography. I would divulge in describing each album in detail, but my aim with this article is to provide anyone who is willing to give The Tragically Hip a chance with a mix tape that will strengthen its faith in one of today's most talented bands. Furthermore, this mix tape will connect possible fans with The Tragically Hip's newest release, In Between Evolution, an eclectic mix of The Hip's most energetic rock 'n roll, an introspective collection of its work in the last 17 years [TMT Review].

Here are some of the Hip's most mesmerizing album tracks from these 17 years, encompassing its passion and perseverance as a truly unique rock 'n roll band. These selected songs are not in any order but create an adequate overview of The Hip's powerful music.

1. "Thugs" (Day For Night) â?? Possibly the most emotionally driven song in The Hip's entire catalogue, "Thugs" literally paints a picture of abstract deception. While the video showcased scenes of a robbery while Gord Downie crooned his poignant lyrics "I do the rolling/ You do the details," most will agree that the song's theme is simply about painting, not crime. Although the video received lackluster acceptance and earned a ban on many music stations, "Thugs" is definitely The Hip at its most effective.

2. "Gift Shop" (Trouble At The Henhouse) â?? Trouble At The Henhouse was The Hip's distinct departure from straight-up rock 'n roll. Although Day For Night mingled in layered musicianship, nothing compared to the brooding musical achievement of "Gift Shop." Furthermore, The Hip completely immersed itself with dark imagery and abstract lyricism. Lyrics like "We're forced to bed/But we're free to dream" unfastened a new and improved (yet still very similar) Tragically Hip that not only focused on rocking its fans but presented them with truly intellectual music as well.

3. "Cordelia" (Road Apples) â?? Yes, it's true; The Tragically Hip was pretty twangy at the beginning. Although it had received mass appeal in Canada with its previous album release, Road Apples was definitely The Hip's crowning achievement. Filled with catchy rock anthems and luscious ballads, Road Apples was a Canadian staple. And while other songs on the album captured the hearts of many fans, only "Cordelia" exemplified the rawest passion and commitment any song can bear. Emotional lyrics like "Jump in the ring with your hidden cape/ The bull can't decide what it is that he hates" adequately explain the strength and compassion of the song and elevated it above all others on the record.

4. "Putting Down" (Music@Work) - A real gem amongst one of The Hip's less favorable albums. Although a very straightforward song, "Putting Down" contains an unimaginably catchy melody. Light-hearted and contained, Downie showcases an appealing disposition, rhyming off his lyrics with amusing happiness and contentment. The musical accompaniment is fantastic, creating an easy-going track filled with a chanting chorus and sing-along capability.

5. "Save The Planet" (Phantom Power) â?? Taking a musical approach from earlier albums, "Save The Planet" captures immediately and doesn't let go until it's 3 and ½ minute finish. The music is relentless as Downie chants convincingly "What's left to captivate us/ What's to become of us," showcasing The Hip's fanatical energy once more.

6. "New Orleans Is Sinking" (Up To Here) â?? Ahh, the crowning achievement; without this song, The Hip would not have received such accolades as it has in its long and prosperous career. In fact, "New Orleans Is Sinking" is perhaps the most recognizable Canadian song ever, after Stompin' Tom's "Hockey Song." Even today, as the radio continues to include the song in its rotation, many will loudly chant along to its captivating melody. I don't know too many The Hip fans that do not know every word of "New Orleans Is Sinking." Perhaps the most sought after performance at any The Hip show, "New Orleans Is Sinking" has always become a feverish jam song, intertwining Downie's exceptional and hilarious soliloquies about Killer Whales or an appropriate David Bowie cover. A true classic!

7. "Locked In The Trunk Of A Car" (Fully Completely) â?? If Road Apples captivated many fans and established The Hip as musical contenders, Fully Completely kept its promise, further developing The Hip as a force to reckon with. "Locked In The Trunk Of A Car" was the first installment of The Hip's darker imagery. Shouting lyrics like "Everyday, I'm dumping the body" and "It'd be better for us if you didn't understand" exemplified Downie's peculiar, fascinating storytelling. The musical accompaniment committed as well, creating an eerie response to The Hip's previous work. Yet, the music was intriguing, creating a perfect score to Downie's incredible lyricism.

8. "Fireworks" (Phantom Power) â?? The perfect love story. With the compassion that Canadians have with the sport of hockey, many fans of The Hip were possibly shocked to hear the context of this song. Lyrics like "You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey/ And I never saw someone say that before/ You held my hand and we walked home the long way/ You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr." A implausible song about relationships and commitment. "Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished/ When the little sensation gets in your way;" I have to agree.

9. "The Dark Canuck" (In Violet Light) â?? A great example of Downie's commitment to the passion of the group. Downie's exemplifies why he is regarded as a tremendous leader in The Hip with his compelling and mesmerizing vocals. "The Dark Canuck" is a beautifully layered song, showcasing The Hip's jamming capabilities. Unless you've witnessed its favorable live performances, the Hip have always struggled to mimic the extreme intensity of its live show on record. That isn't a bad thing, as most notable artist suffer from the same fate, yet "The Dark Canuck" is the closest you will get to its raw and energetic live show.

10. "Summer's Killing Us" (In Between Evolution) â?? The perfect new single from The Hip's newest album, "Summer's Killing Us" is a cross-hybrid of the old rock 'n roll philosophy intertwined with The Hip's musical direction since Day for Night. And with the addition of tighter and bolder production, In Between Evolution's "Summer's Killing Us" should finally convince many music lovers in the U.S. that this little Canadian band deserves some much-ado recognition.

As mentioned before, The Hip's discography spans through a plethora of albums and bootlegs. Narrowing a mix tape to 10 songs only touches the surface. Below are some more songs that are recommended to enhance any Tragically Hip experience.

1. The Tragically Hip (1987) â?? "Small Town Bringdown," "Highway Girl."
 2. Up To Here (1989) â?? "Blow At High Dough," "She Didn't Know."
 3. Road Apples (1991) â?? "Little Bones," "Twist My Arm," "On The Verge."
 4. Fully Completely (1992) â?? "At The Hundredth Meridian," "Fifty-Mission Cap," "The Wherewithal."
 5. Day For Night (1994) â?? "Grace, Too," "Daredevil," "So Hard Done By," "Nautical Disaster," "Scared."
 6. Trouble At The Henhouse (1996) â?? "Springtime In Vienna," "Ahead By A Century," "700 ft Ceiling."
 7. Phantom Power (1998) â?? "Poets," "Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man."
 8. Music@Work (2000) â?? "My Music At Work," "Lake Fever," "The Bastards."
 9. In Violet Light (2002) â?? "Are You Ready," "Use It Up," "All Tore Up."
 10. In Between Evolution (2004) â?? "Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park."

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 01:39:00 pm »
just thought I'd post a set from their last show, in case anyone's wondering what thier playing (though, the set lists seem to change rather drastically from night to night)

Tuesday, September 21, 2004
 Setlist - The Avalon, Boston, MA - Sept. 21, 2004

It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
 Grace, Too
 Are You Ready
 Twist My Arm
 In Bobcaygeon
 You Are Everywhere
 Courage
 Summer's Killing Us
 Poets
 Goodnight Josephine
 Lake Fever
 100th Meridian
 Escape Is At Hand (For The Travelling Man)
 Fireworks
 Mean Streak
 New Orleans Is Sinking
 Gus
 My Music @ Work

1st Encore:
 Vaccination Scar
 Ahead By A Century
 Something On

2nd Encore:
 Heaven Is A Better Place Today
 Little Bones

redsock

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 01:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

[/b]
I've seen Lucero, they're nothing special. And they sound nothing like the Weakethans, whole nother genre. Odd pairing.

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  I've seen Lucero, they're nothing special. And they sound nothing like the Weakethans, whole nother genre. Odd pairing.
I've seen Lucero, they put on a damn fine show.

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 02:10:00 pm »
For anyone whos going to the Hip show on Saturday, you may expect to see one Dan Akroyd on the harmonica.  He's shown up in Toronto and in NYC last night, so who knows whether he'll make the trip to DC.

eltee

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 03:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  For anyone whos going to the Hip show on Saturday, you may expect to see one Dan Akroyd on the harmonica.  He's shown up in Toronto and in NYC last night, so who knows whether he'll make the trip to DC.
nifty.