Author Topic: Fraudulent bank emails going around  (Read 1162 times)

Bags

Fraudulent bank emails going around
« on: August 20, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
FYI, this is happening to SunTrust and CitiBank customers now:

I just got an email from Sun Trust, my bank, that there has been a large amount of identity theft problems targeted at SunTrust clients and I needed to verify information at a website linked to in the email.

It looked very official, with the FDIC disclaimer, the Sun Trust logo, etc.

It's a fraudulent email, so delete it and do nothing.  I just got off the phone with Suntrust, as I wouldn't do anything until I was sure.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Fraudulent bank emails going around
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 11:24:00 am »
I got an e-mail from a nice Nigerian man the other day.  Poor guy...his rich father died and the corrupt government is trying to freeze his assets.  He said if I give him all my bank account #'s so he can wire all his millions into my account he'll give me 20% of the money!!  I can't wait for that 10 million dollars!  Should be any day now.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
I just got one from "CitiBank" that was a poorly scanned document - probably an attempt to thwart the spam filter (didn't work) that asked me to enter my atm card number and PIN for verification.  Ha, Ha, Ha!  Is there anyone out there that is THAT stupid?  (don't you answer Mark eeeeeeeeeeee.   ;)   )

Bags

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
The SunTrust email was more subtle and looked good/official.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sailor Ripley:
  I just got one from "CitiBank" that was a poorly scanned document - probably an attempt to thwart the spam filter (didn't work) that asked me to enter my atm card number and PIN for verification.  Ha, Ha, Ha!  Is there anyone out there that is THAT stupid?  (don't you answer Mark eeeeeeeeeeee.    ;)    )
just for kicks and giggles,and since i was at work, i clicked and there was no place to enter such info.  blah.