Author Topic: Field Day Festival (again)  (Read 12017 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Field Day Festival (again)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2003, 08:13:00 am »
Originally posted by myuman:
    If this was HFS, with the carp bands they bring in and the slamming that occurs... I'd be worried.  
I dont like carp bands either.  Eels are definitely better.

ggw

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2003, 10:58:00 pm »
State Police Won't Help at Concert

by Katie Thomas
 Staff Writer

June 3, 2003, 5:56 PM EDT

In one more defeat for promoters of a two-day rock concert scheduled for this weekend in Calverton, the New York State Police have informed the Suffolk County health department that it will not send troopers to help control crowds and traffic.

In a letter today to Robert Maimoni, a county health official, Lt. Col. James Schepperly of the state police said, "Our experience has been that several months' lead time is minimally necessary to develop comprehensive concert plans."

Riverhead Town's chief of police has said he would need about 200 extra officers to help his tiny force control the crowd of 50,000 expected over Saturday and Sunday. A lack of adequate law enforcement was the reason the Suffolk County health department denied a mass gathering permit for the concert last week. Two weeks ago, Suffolk County police declined to participate, citing concerns about the promoter's traffic plan and a lack of time to sign a deal with Riverhead town.

Bruce Williamson, chief of the health department's bureau of public health protection, said today the county was unlikely to reverse its decision on the permit. "I don't see anything that would provide a basis to change the decision," he said. "And the timing now is -- you know, the event is almost upon us."

The gates to the concert, which was to feature headliners such as the Beastie Boys and Radiohead, were scheduled to open at 3 p.m. Friday.

Gary Lewi, a spokesman for concert promoter Andrew Dreskin, said the news doesn't necessarily cancel the concert. "There are any number of different options that are available to us," he said, but declined to be more specific. Several other local law enforcement agencies have declined to help, citing either a lack of time or personnel.

The Riverhead Town Board is scheduled to vote tonight on whether to approve their own special events permit. Town officials declined to comment today, but yesterday Supervisor Robert Kozakiewicz said he would be hesitant to approve the permit if no law enforcement agencies had volunteered to help by the time the meeting starts at 7 p.m.

Meanwhile, the Suffolk County police and health departments have scheduled a press conference for tomorrow morning to discuss the Field Day concert.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2003, 09:22:00 am »
Rumours are that it might be moved to Giants Stadium.   MAN i am glad i still went to Coachella!

ggw

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2003, 01:41:00 pm »
It has been moved to Giants Stadium and turned into a one day event.  No word on which bands will be dropped.   Also, you are required to buy all new tickets.

Bags

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2003, 02:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw:
  It has been moved to Giants Stadium and turned into a one day event.  No word on which bands will be dropped.   Also, you are required to buy all new tickets.
Where do you find out info?  God bless I decided it was too much of a hassle to get out to the end of Long Island...but I have friends going.

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2003, 02:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:

Where do you find out info?  God bless I decided it was too much of a hassle to get out to the end of Long Island...but I have friends going. [/b]
It's on the ticketmaster website

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2003, 02:18:00 pm »
That's just too funny.

Bags

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2003, 02:56:00 pm »
Thanks -- the new venue information is not available *anywhere* else.  Not Newsday, not Pollstar.  Leave it to the 9:30 Club forum, a couple hundred miles away!!

Bags

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2003, 03:10:00 pm »
Just posted 4 minutes ago....

Concert Moved to Giant Stadium

By Katie Thomas, Mitchell Freedman and Glenn Gamboa, Newsday

June 4, 2003, 3:00 PM EDT

The Riverhead Town Supervisor Robert Kozakiewicz announced this morning that a two-day rock concert scheduled for this weekend in Calverton would not happen. According to Ticketmaster, the event has been scaled down and moved to Giants Stadium for a one-day show on Saturday.

"In the interest of the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the Town of Riverhead and the public, I believe that the event should be cancelled," Kozakiewicz said in a prepared statement.

The new show will definitely include Radiohead and the Beastie Boys, though it is still not clear how many of the 35 other bands will be part of the 12-hour concert, according to Ticketmaster. Tickets for the show are set to go on sale at 5 p.m. through Ticketmaster.com.

Tickets for the Calverton show will not be honored at Giants Stadium. Calverton ticketholders who purchased their tickets with a credit card online or by phone will receive an automatic refund on their credit card, according to Ticketmaster. Those who purchased them in other ways must return their tickets at the point of purchase and get a refund separately.

The change of venue has not been confirmed by concert promoters or stadium officials.

Christopher Kent, a lawyer for the for the Field Day Festival promoters, said earlier in the day that a new location in the New York City metropolitan area for the concert was being sought and that a decision would be announced today. He said refunds will be given to ticket-holders who request them.

According to the Ticketmaster web site, tickets will go on sale at 5 p.m. today for a one-day event at Giants Stadium this Saturday. Concert promoters and stadium officials would not confirm the change in venue.

Stating that at a new venue the concert, which was to feature headline acts such as the Beastie Boys, Radiohead, and Beck, would be a "different type of event," Kent said that the Meadowlands Sports Complex in New Jersey was one site under consideration. He added that there would be no camping at the concert's new location.

Yesterday, the concert promoters filed suit in Federal District Court in Islip seeking a restraining order and injunction to prevent the town of Riverhead from canceling the event. Kent said the suit will be changed to seek monetary damages now that the concert has been called off at the Calverton site. He said initial estimates put the costs upwards of $3 million.

"We are still crunching the calculators," Kent said.

The concert was thrown into doubt last week when Suffolk County denied the promoter a mass gathering permit, citing a lack of adequate police protection. Two weeks ago, the Suffolk County police declined to participate in the event, citing a concern over the concert traffic plan and a lack of time for the county attorney to sign a contract with the town.

Since then, town officials and the event promoter scrambled to convince other law enforcement agencies to provide the approximately 200 additional officers need to control traffic and the expected crowd of 50,000.

Last night, facing a possible court injunction filed by Suffolk County, the town board voted to table a resolution on their own special events permit, effectively denying the application since another meeting is not scheduled for this week.

This morning, Kozakiewicz and other town board members blamed Suffolk County for the event's failure, saying the county police departmentn's failure to participate effectively killed the concert. "I really don't know what the politics were, but yes, I do think politics did play a role," Kozakiewicz said.

County officials have said Riverhead Town and the promoter approached the county too late to adequately plan the event.

In a letter sent Tuesday to Robert Maimoni, a county health official, Lt. Col. James Schepperly of the state police explained that "our experience has been that several months lead-time is minimally necessary to develop comprehensive concert plans." The state police were first approached in March, a town official said.

A lack of adequate law enforcement was the reason the Suffolk County health department denied a mass gathering permit for the concert last week. Two weeks ago, Suffolk County police declined to participate, citing concerns about the promoter's traffic plan and a lack of time for the county attorney to sign a deal with Riverhead town.

The Field Day concert was to occur at the former Grumman property, on part of the 2,900 acres of town-owned land that has been targeted for economic development. The town had hoped that this rock festival and another scheduled for August would put Riverhead on the map and lure future clients to the site.

Ashley Capps, one of the promoters of Bonnaroo NE, the August festival slated to last three days and feature acts including Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and The Dead, said he was keeping an eye on the Field Day developments but wasn't concerned about the impact it would have on his own event. "We've been going through our own process in our own way, and we feel like we've been working very hard to dot the i's and cross the t's," he said. "These are two very separate events."
 Copyright © 2003, Newsday, Inc.

redsock

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
If you are on the yahoo board for Field Day, it is so sad to see these poor kids who post a message about getting a ride, or complaining about set times, all in between a bunch of pissed off people complaining about their money and threatening to sue someone. There are so many folks out there who just have no clue this is off. Sonick, you're on there right, gettin chewed out by some NY idiot. This truely has become an unfortunate. All of the excitement my friends and I had for going has deteriorated pretty quickly, even for this Giants stadium show. Mostly because no one has formely announced it yet.

I'm not dumb enough to think the promoters didn't fuck up, but I also know that local and county officials could have done a lot more to help it out, if they wanted to. I WISH i went to Coachella this year.

Bags

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2003, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  If you are on the yahoo board for Field Day, it is so sad to see these poor kids who post a message about getting a ride, or complaining about set times, all in between a bunch of pissed off people complaining about their money and threatening to sue someone. There are so many folks out there who just have no clue this is off. Sonick, you're on there right, gettin chewed out by some NY idiot. This truely has become an unfortunate. All of the excitement my friends and I had for going has deteriorated pretty quickly, even for this Giants stadium show. Mostly because no one has formely announced it yet.

I'm not dumb enough to think the promoters didn't fuck up, but I also know that local and county officials could have done a lot more to help it out, if they wanted to. I WISH i went to Coachella this year.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Though I'm not going, I almost did and I have friends who planned on it.  When this fest was announced, there was no way for fans to know that this wasn't another of the hundreds of big summer festivals, with a particularly good lineup.  There have been *so* many go off without a hitch in recent years, that this is unexpected.  And, I would say, especially disappointing for young fans who really had to make some things happen in order to get to the festival.  At least my friends in DC are older professionals who are just out some money on flights to Islip.

It's really, really a shame.

myuman

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2003, 04:16:00 pm »
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I welcome the change of venue with open arms.  It will be so much easier to get to and relax during the day.  I wish they would have thought of this sooner, but Giants stadium is 1000 times better than some converted military airstrip in an inaccessible part of long island.  My only concern would be of a security nature given the very close proximity to NYC and the lack of time to prepare.

Bags

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2003, 05:12:00 pm »
I agree, much better venue.  MUCH better.  I'd actually consider going if it were a few weeks away, rather than a few days.

The reason I never got tickets was that god forsaken long island hike on a summer weekend and the prospect of camping (?).  Okay, I never would have camped, but the logistics did seem nightmarish.  Now it's like a Jersey HFStival (but without the metro!).

walkman

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2003, 06:09:00 pm »
  I agree, much better venue.  MUCH better.  I'd actually consider going if it were a few weeks away, rather than a few days.

The reason I never got tickets was that god forsaken long island hike on a summer weekend and the prospect of camping (?).  Okay, I never would have camped, but the logistics did seem nightmarish.  Now it's like a Jersey HFStival (but without the metro!).
I dunno...I think camping was a huge part of the appeal...I have some very bummed friends who were all set to drive and camp, and are now facing the prospect of a last-minute motel 6.  Plus, the tickets are just up for grabs.  That's all pretty lame...

myuman

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2003, 08:24:00 pm »
  Now it's like a Jersey HFStival (but without the metro!).
You forgot to add without: audioslave, chevelle, good charlotte, godsmack, afi... and a host of other flash in the pan, gawd awful, poser bands.  Instead we get Radiohead, Beck, Blur (still think they shafted HFS for good reason), and a host of other "reputable" bands.  Other than that... I guess It's just like HFS.