Author Topic: Field Day Festival (again)  (Read 11598 times)

kurosawa-b/w

Re: Field Day Festival (again)
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2003, 09:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:
  I dunno...I think camping was a huge part of the appeal...I have some very bummed friends who were all set to drive and camp, and are now facing the prospect of a last-minute motel 6.  Plus, the tickets are just up for grabs.  That's all pretty lame...
Somehow it has gone from being somewhat-natural, out in the open, funky -to- stadium, industrial, corporate. With the camping, it had UK Fest flavour and now it's just another stadium concert fest. I guess the positive side is that it is still a good line-up and not sponsored by CC. (I hope you all have a great time!) I'm mainly worried that all of this wrangling doesn't bode well for the East Coast All Tomorrow's Parties.

walkman

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2003, 11:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:

Originally posted by walkman:
 [qb]...doesn't bode well for the East Coast All Tomorrow's Parties. [/b]
hear hear.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2003, 06:28:00 pm »
Well, at least Radiohead is doing right by their fans. It only applies to the tickets bought through their fan club but it's still really nice:

"All customers with original tickets (be they one day tickets or two day tickets with or without camping) will have tickets automatically transferred to the new venue, where they can be picked up on the day.  For these customers please be aware that you should arrive as early as possible at the venue to collect your tickets to avoid delay.  To help us out on the day please bring details of your original order and ID."

Bags

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2003, 05:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  Well, at least Radiohead is doing right by their fans. It only applies to the tickets bought through their fan club but it's still really nice:

"All customers with original tickets (be they one day tickets or two day tickets with or without camping) will have tickets automatically transferred to the new venue, where they can be picked up on the day.  For these customers please be aware that you should arrive as early as possible at the venue to collect your tickets to avoid delay.  To help us out on the day please bring details of your original order and ID."
It's true, Radiohead's fansite tried to take care of their fans, but they fucked it up because they sent that email out two hours *after* the new tickets went on sale.  So for a  lot of their biggest east coast fans, they're now the only ones stuck with no refund on the Field Day tickets because they bought new tickets as soon as they went on sale.  

I hope it gets worked out...(I think it might, but there has been a world of frustration in the meantime).

myuman

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2003, 07:55:00 pm »
Radiohead was unbelievable... there there opening the show was perfect.  Underworld was next best act.  Beck apparently slipped before going on stage and was taken to the hospital... what a "jack....".

sonickteam2

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2003, 08:20:00 am »
Originally posted by myuman:
  Radiohead was unbelievable... there there opening the show was perfect.  Underworld was next best act.  Beck apparently slipped before going on stage and was taken to the hospital... what a "jack....".
I concur, Radiohead put on a flawless show on Saturday night. I had really been waiting 5 years for this, and i wasnt let down at all. They seemed to play a lot of new stuff, which all sounded WAY better than the bootleg copy of HTTT that i have. Thom was way more energetic and reactant to the crowd than i expected.
   Beck is a jerk, and he fell, and never played, Thursday and Beth Orton were great too, as was Blur. I didnt expect them to play "Tender" at a big show like that.

it rained like HELL and my shoes are ruined i think  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2003, 10:21:00 am »
oh, and if anyone went or cares to know. here is what Radiohead played on Saturday.

there there
 2+2=5
 national anthem
 lucky
 just
 kid a
 go to sleep
 climbing up the walls
 backdrifts
 sail to the moon
 sit down stand up
 pyramid song
 no surprises
 i might be wrong
 where i end + u begin
 paranoid android
 idioteque
 everything in its right place
 --------------
 exit music
 myxomatosis
 talk show host
 how

Mobius

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
Thanks for the reviews.  Was the stadium full? I'm surprised Radiohead played a full set.  That's very cool.

ggw

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Thanks for the reviews.  Was the stadium full? I'm surprised Radiohead played a full set.  That's very cool.
Attendance was estimated at around 20k.

Beck had his ribs broken by a stagehand (some say intentionally...)

And the concert kicked out a charity fundraiser.

Concert ousts charity fund-raiser

The Associated Press
 6/7/2003, 4:59 p.m. ET

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) â?? A Maplewood charity scheduled to host a touch-football fund-raiser at Giants Stadium this weekend got bumped when the Field Day Music Festival, the mega-concert featuring Radiohead, Beck and the Beastie Boys, moved in.

The charity, Cerebral Palsy of North Jersey, has hosted its annual fund-raiser at the Meadowlands every year since 1986. The event involves hundreds of amateur football players who organize into 10-member teams, each paying $650 to participate. The charity raises as much as $60,000 from the two-day event.

This year, the charity didn't find out until Wednesday, just three days before its fund-raiser, that Field Day promoter AEG had landed
 Giants Stadium as its new venue after the Long Island town of Calverton denied a permit for the show at a former aircraft plant.

"We knew we wanted to try and work with (AEG) and we knew we would have to try and reschedule this football event," Meadowlands spokesman Tim Hassett told The Star-Ledger of Newark.

"We were working with AEG, who is one of our big clients in terms of stadium and arena shows. They came to us and asked for help," Hassett said. "They were potentially looking at serious losses if they couldn't reschedule."

The charity, meanwhile, stands to lose upward of $50,000.

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which runs Giants Stadium and the Continental Airlines Arena next door, has offered to reschedule the fund-raiser the weekend of June 28-29.

David Bishop, director of development for the charity, said he is unsure whether players and volunteers can make it that weekend.

"We just want to make certain that everyone that's involved to help and support us doesn't wind up having a really bad experience from this," Bishop said.

Information from: The Star-Ledger

lily1

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2003, 01:33:00 pm »
so if only 20,000 showed up, they took a huge financial loss regardless...the organizers that is, not ticketwanker.

Jaguär

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
But TicketBastards made out like bandits when you consider that their service charges are NOT refundable even though the original show was cancelled and then they made money on the resale of Saturday's show.

myuman

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2003, 05:18:00 pm »
20K my arse.... I would almost guarantee there were 20,000 on the field.  Probably around 20k in the stands.  Honestly here, 40K would be a very safe estimate.  Remember, you are talking a 78,000 seat stadium that has an end stage.  That makes 50,000 viewable seats.  Upper level vacant = 30,000.  Then a 75 yard by 80 yard field that was too full.  Good thing it wasn't metallica.  I would wonder however, how many people actually left half way through the day.  I saw people soaking wet and shaking like no tomorrow at 2 pm.  Of course security didn't allow any passes out.  I know if I didn't gortex it I might have thought "radiohead and 95 bucks isn't enough to keep me".

ggw

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2003, 05:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by myuman:
  20K my arse.... I would almost guarantee there were 20,000 on the field.  Probably around 20k in the stands.  Honestly here, 40K would be a very safe estimate.  Remember, you are talking a 78,000 seat stadium that has an end stage.  That makes 50,000 viewable seats.  Upper level vacant = 30,000.  Then a 75 yard by 80 yard field that was too full.  Good thing it wasn't metallica.  I would wonder however, how many people actually left half way through the day.  I saw people soaking wet and shaking like no tomorrow at 2 pm.  Of course security didn't allow any passes out.  I know if I didn't gortex it I might have thought "radiohead and 95 bucks isn't enough to keep me".
The concert set-up only holds 55-60k.  Anyway, I was just reporting what I read here.  20,000 seems to be the high end of the estimates.

sonickteam2

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2003, 12:02:00 pm »
that field was in NO way too full.  perhaps when Radiohead played it got crowded, but i made my move to the front with ease during the middle of the Beasties. who by the way , should hang it up. for real.

myuman

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2003, 08:03:00 pm »
Agree with Beastie boys.... where and exactly when did this psuedo act get a headlining spot at coachella and a prime spot at this festival (even though the festival itself fell apart in the last few days).... as with the field... I was about 10 feet off the rail up front.  A fairly oblivious viewpoint.. but if their wasn't a lot of people on that field, then there was one unbelievable amount of distortion on those camera views (which I'm not totally discounting)... but the 20k figure for total turnout is a ridiculous understatement.