Author Topic: Anyone see Diamond Dave?  (Read 2528 times)

Mobius

Anyone see Diamond Dave?
« on: May 28, 2003, 11:47:00 am »
I didn't make it to the show but I'd love to hear how it was.  Anyone go?

twangirl

Re: Anyone see Diamond Dave?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 03:48:00 pm »
Diamond Dave was a fantastic show! I was never a Van Halen fan, but am so glad I was here last night. They played lots of VH, probably better than VH can play VH these days. Fantastic band, with all the requisite rawk swagger. Drummer was great. Diamond Dave is in excellent shape considering his age, lots of karate kicks and a splits jump off the drum riser that was damn impresssive. He took some girls from the front row's hand and rubbed it on his crotch ["oooh, baby can you feel my love? Can you feel it rising?" he said]--it was too funny. The whole thing was a shining example of pure rock excess...quality entertainment in my book!

Jaguär

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 04:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
  He took some girls from the front row's hand and rubbed it on his crotch ["oooh, baby can you feel my love? Can you feel it rising?" he said]--it was too funny.  
Just pointing out here some of the 'joys of being a Rock Star':   :roll:  

If a guy in the crowd would have done that, he would have been kicked out, or maybe even arrested. And that would be after he was either slapped or kicked in the balls by the owner of the hand.

mankie

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 04:13:00 pm »
A mate of mine went and said it was the biggest pile of crap he'd ever seen.....I tried to warn him but he went with some blokes he works with who are into that shite.

He also mentioned the rubbing of the crotch and said he just looked like a dirty old pervert and should've been arrested for sexual offences.

Mobius

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 04:29:00 pm »
Oh man, I'm sorry I missed it.

twangirl

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 05:56:00 pm »
The owner of the hand looked pretty delighted about the whole thing. It's like going to a comedy club...if you're sitting at a table in the front you're fair game. And that's how I looked at the Diamond Dave show, as comedy more than anything. Had I been overly serious about it, and/or looking for musical enlightenment, I also would have thought it was a load of crap. But looking at it as a prime example of utter rock & roll cheese, I was highly entertained. The whole thing was just too funny. Not as many mullets in the audience as I would have expected though, a big disappointment.

mankie

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 06:07:00 pm »
Then I can see why you would enjoy it...tacky entertainment, a bit like a camp pantomime. Nowt wrong with it!

By the way, the next time I'm stood next to a girl in a bar that I fancy I'll grab her hand and shove it down my pants saying, "You were stood next to me so I thought that's what you wanted" se

Bags

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 06:11:00 pm »
I enjoy the rock n' roll cheese as much as anyone (witness: The Datsuns), but you couldn't drag me to the Diamond Dave Fiesta...he's just so far gone into self parody.

I'm glad those who went enjoyed; it's just so hard to imagine.  But if the backing band was really good, it could certainly be pulled off (who doesn't love early VH).

ggw

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 09:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  A mate of mine went and said it was the biggest pile of crap he'd ever seen.....I tried to warn him but he went with some blokes he works with who are into that shite.

He also mentioned the rubbing of the crotch and said he just looked like a dirty old pervert and should've been arrested for sexual offences.
I think nothing could be more antithetical to David Lee Roth than "mates" and "blokes"

Americans don't "get" Robbie Williams and I doubt Brits "get" DLR.

bungle bud

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 06:47:00 am »
i get jokes  :D

mankie

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 09:53:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:

(who doesn't love early VH).

ME!

royalsperm

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2003, 01:36:00 pm »
it was a david lee roth show...was anyone actually expecting it to be good?

mankie

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2003, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw:

Americans don't "get" Robbie Williams and I doubt Brits "get" DLR.

[/b]
Some Brits don't get Robbie Williams !