Author Topic: moving music files in itunes  (Read 4337 times)

vansmack

Re: moving music files in itunes
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:23:21 am »
Cloud.Fix.All.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:59 am »
It worked! Thanks again.

I think the title of this thread sort of summarizes my problem, but i'll describe it anyway. Hope some of you might have an answer for me.

I have a pc with itunes and a laptop with itunes. Some of my music (which I rip from CD's) is stored on the PC, some of it on the laptop. Neither contain all of my music. From each of those, I copy selected stuff to my classic ipod.

I had a version of Itunes on my laptop that allowed me to rip a new CD to my Itunes library and then drag that and copy it to my IPOD. That's how I was getting any new music I bought on CD onto my IPOD.

So for a long, long time it had been asking me if i wanted to download a new version of itunes. Stupidly, I finally said yes. Now I have a version of Itunes that allows me to rip a CD to my library, but I don't see a way to drag the results over to my IPOD. It does ask me if I want to synch up my IPOD to my Itunes library. But I DON'T want to do this, because presumably it will erase all the current contents of the IPOD (much of which is from the PC) and replace it with the contents of the laptop Itunes library (which only contains a portion of my music, and has stufff i don't want to put on the IPOD)

So what do I do? I'm assuming I could uninstall the new version of Itunes and download the older version (?) that I had? But am I right in thinking that would then delete my library? Is there a way to do ripping to library/dragging to IPOD that I was previously doing in the current version of Itunes that I'm not seeing?

Ha!!! Coincidentally, I'm up in PA and my pops ended up erasing his entire iPod because of this. If you go to library and start dragging things to the right, the iPod option automatically pops up. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you grab any songs and start pulling to the right, the option to drag to the iPod should come up.

My next piece of advice is stop using iTunes.  ::)

Yada

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 09:57:52 am »
It worked! Thanks again.

I think the title of this thread sort of summarizes my problem, but i'll describe it anyway. Hope some of you might have an answer for me.

I have a pc with itunes and a laptop with itunes. Some of my music (which I rip from CD's) is stored on the PC, some of it on the laptop. Neither contain all of my music. From each of those, I copy selected stuff to my classic ipod.

I had a version of Itunes on my laptop that allowed me to rip a new CD to my Itunes library and then drag that and copy it to my IPOD. That's how I was getting any new music I bought on CD onto my IPOD.

So for a long, long time it had been asking me if i wanted to download a new version of itunes. Stupidly, I finally said yes. Now I have a version of Itunes that allows me to rip a CD to my library, but I don't see a way to drag the results over to my IPOD. It does ask me if I want to synch up my IPOD to my Itunes library. But I DON'T want to do this, because presumably it will erase all the current contents of the IPOD (much of which is from the PC) and replace it with the contents of the laptop Itunes library (which only contains a portion of my music, and has stufff i don't want to put on the IPOD)

So what do I do? I'm assuming I could uninstall the new version of Itunes and download the older version (?) that I had? But am I right in thinking that would then delete my library? Is there a way to do ripping to library/dragging to IPOD that I was previously doing in the current version of Itunes that I'm not seeing?

Ha!!! Coincidentally, I'm up in PA and my pops ended up erasing his entire iPod because of this. If you go to library and start dragging things to the right, the iPod option automatically pops up. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you grab any songs and start pulling to the right, the option to drag to the iPod should come up.

My next piece of advice is stop using iTunes.  ::)

Nice... great to hear. Timing is everything as I literally haven't used iTunes in about two years. You can thank my pops.