Author Topic: spoon cancels so they can play with the shins at merriwe  (Read 27132 times)

MonkeyPants

Re: spoon cancels so they can play with the shins at merriwe
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2007, 10:40:00 am »
um, I think my question got lost in all of this arguing:

HOW DO I GET MY REFUND?  I ordered online and I did not get the email announcing the cancellation.  I cannot go to the Merriwether show.  I just want to be sure to get all my money back.  all of it  :)
PANTS

vansmack

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by JohnnyBaconbitz:
  I think you just made his decade by posting that...
Hayden Leslie Panettiere was born on August 21, 1989.  That's all that matters to me today.
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »
Spoon bonus!!! I love a good show at Merriwether, due to its close proximity at home.  I was not a fan of spoon until recently.  I checked out their music after this whole show fiasco, and I have to say, i cant wait to see them live!

fatskippy

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »
The Shins at DAR were the worst show I have seen all year

godsshoeshine

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »
i wasnt going to go to either show, as i have seen both before and its during the week, but for both? i am now considering it. and i live in reston

thanks seth!
o/\o

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »
Perhaps you could loan him one of your teenage daughters for his 34th birthday party.   :D  

Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  I don't know who this vansmack is...

but I LIKE him

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »
Because I know you all were waiting on this... WaPo's own J Free's take on the Spoon Switcharoo, from today's chat.

"Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C.: I don't know if you read them, but there has been a little flare up on the 930 Club message boards over Spoon's shows on the 22nd & 23rd of October being moved to playing with the Shins at Merriweather on the 22nd. Spoon will be opening, but playing a full set, those who bought a Spoon ticket before the changed was announced can use it for a lawn seat or upgrade to a assigned seat for $10 (or get a full refund). Some people are not happy with having to drive to Columbia to see the show, or seeing it at Merriweather when expecting to see it at 930.

Do you have an opinion on all this?

J. Freedom du Lac: On the one hand, yeah, it's a drag that they'll be in a siginificantly larger venue -- and that those who live in or around DC will have to hit the road to see the show. On the other hand -- you get to go outside and take in some fresh air. And let's face it, most indie-rock fans could stand to get out a little more. Producer David can, anyway.

Seriously, though -- I don't have a particularly strong opinion about this. The pricing seems to be fair. And I do think Merriweather is a great venue as far as outdoor sheds go. We're lucky to have it.

Washington, D.C.: Wednesday I get an e-mail that Spoon is playing 2 shows at the 9:30 Club 10/22 & 10/23. Fantastic, so I buy 6 for 10/23. Then I get an e-mail 4 days later that because Spoon will open for The Shins and Merriweather 10/22, BOTH DC shows are cancelled. Offers me a chance to upgrade to pit seats for the show, but I don't have much interest in seeing half a Spoon show or seeing the shins. Merriweather simply is not as good a venue either.

Sounds sloppy. Why can't they just honor the tickets for the 9:30 show the 23rd? Spoon was great at Sonar earlier this year, BTW

J. Freedom du Lac: Another vote against the bait-and-(venue) switch.

Spoon Switcheroo, D.C.: Of course it's understandable that promoters don't want Spoon doing any shows in DC before playing MPP -- that would dampen their audience.

But MPP vs. 9:30 is a big difference for those of us that live in the city. Even though MPP is nice, it is not even close to downtown, involves a much bigger time commitment, and overall hassle. So it's not as simple as the weather being nice.

Why can't DC have a big outdoor music venue in city limits, like so many other big metro areas? (Think Festival Pier in Philly, or Central Park Stage in NYC.) Having to drive well outside the beltway for summer concerts is no fun.

J. Freedom du Lac: Yeah, but then you'd have to live in Philadelphia.

I wouldn't mind the lack of summer venues inside the Beltway so much if I could get to Nissan or Merriweather Post without driving. Just one more thing to love about Wolf Trap. I can Metro to Falls Church West then hop the shuttle bus to the venue.
nothx

frazman

« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2007, 11:26:00 am »

Crunchbird

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »
I'm curious about this whole "doesn't make sense to have two different concerts" line of reasoning . . . does this mean that the 9:30 NEVER has a show on a night that there's a Merriweather concert?  Seems like a fairly odd policy, if it is one.  Or maybe it's just, "doesn't make sense to have two different concerts by bands playing vaguely similar styles of music"?

Actually, I think it's pretty clear that it "doesn't make sense to have two different concerts on the same night when one them has no prayer of selling out and I can use the enthusiasm for the other show to gin up enthusiasum for the underselling one."  It's simply a business decision, and has nothing to do with musical logic  or providing greater "value" to the customer.

Unfortunately, no one wants to go to an outdoor show at the end of October, and The Shins are a decidedly underwhelming live band.  It may be true that no one was "screwed" by this switch, but it's still pretty lousy for those of us who WERE excited to see Spoon, and now will definitely not be doing so.

nkotb

« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »
How much were Spoon tickets?  And buy adding $10 you get to not only see a full Spoon set and be just as close as you would be at 9:30, but you also get a headlining Shins set, plus an opening band if you manage to get there early enough?  

I think the Shins and Spoon are pretty bland live, but that deal makes me wish I had bought Spoon tix.  Anyone want to sell a set of Spoon tickets for face value?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  How much were Spoon tickets?
$20.

reggie

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Perhaps you could loan him one of your teenage daughters for his 34th birthday party.    :D  

Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  I don't know who this vansmack is...

but I LIKE him
[/b]
totally creepy.

nkotb

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »
So for $30 you get Spoon playing a full set, the Shins playing a full set, and an opening set from Vetiver, all no more than 30 feet from the stage?

You all are crybabies.

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

$20. [/b]

frazman

« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »
  So for $30 you get Spoon playing a full set, the Shins playing a full set, and an opening set from Vetiver, all no more than 30 feet from the stage?

You all are crybabies.

Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

$20. [/b]
[/b]
I would agree with you if this was taking place at the club. However, the change of venue is the big problem for many, including myself. Simply not practical for me to go to MPP.

nkotb

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »
Well no shit.  There isn't a single person who WOULD bitch about that.

Is it a matter of no car or of time not working out for you?  The second I can understand, but if it's the first, there are tons of options.  Carpool if need be.

Originally posted by Fadger:
 I would agree with you if this was taking place at the club. However, the change of venue is the big problem for many, including myself. Simply not practical for me to go to MPP.