Author Topic: Official 930 Club Teenage Fanclub Meetup thread  (Read 8677 times)

Space Freely

Re: Official 930 Club Teenage Fanclub Meetup thread
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 08:35:14 am »
Decent show. I wish they had decided to do their one masterpiece album in its entirety on its 25th Anniversary, instead of relegating it to one song.

Songs From Northern Britain came out in 1997.

FWIW both Grand Prix and SFNB are more highly rated than Bandwagonesque.

Allmusic gives Bandwagonesque the rare 5 star treatment, the other two get 4.5 stars. And Bandwagonesque got a major push here in the US, I'd be very surprised if the other two combined sold as much as Bandwagonesque here in the States.

For me personally, Bandwagonesque was the right album at the right time. I was into 80's Britpop and then the poppier side of early grunge, and that album fit into my wheelhouse at the time. By 1997, I had left all of that behind and was completely immersed in Americana. And fwiw, my wife's TF/early 90's into late 90's experience was similar except she moved on to hip hop.

Space Freely

Re: Official 930 Club Teenage Fanclub Meetup thread
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 08:37:18 am »
Decent show.

Ok, on certain songs they were very good, but never approached spectacular. On the new songs, they were decent, and on the songs that featured the guitarist on vocals, they were very pedestrian (the songs that Norman Blake and the bass player sang were better).

geez.. not exactly a ringing endorsement...