Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313312 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1305 on: April 22, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »
That was a fun 25-minute long Peach Kelli Pop set last night.

"Our songs are all like one minute long so it goes by quick." - singer before the last one of ten.

Expert Alterations were solid as always as well.

Meh.  Didn't the Ramones once play 63 songs in 77 minutes?
Songs would have to average 1:13 per song without literally a second between any of them. They have a lot of short songs but not that many that short.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1306 on: April 22, 2015, 04:53:31 pm »
Right.  I think the thinking was that they were playing faster live due to additional mind altering substances. 

On edit:  My numbers were off - Sidehatch found it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1307 on: April 27, 2015, 09:34:52 am »
The Feelies...OMG. I dunno how but they just keep getting more awesome. They played about 40 songs...superb setlist. I asked Stan if they're coming back to DC. He said "at some point" just no plans at the moment I guess. Hey Seth... ;)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1308 on: May 11, 2015, 09:52:17 am »
soooooooo... who was at the prince show last night? 

edit:  cnn's quick recap of the show: "Prince mixes politics and pop hits at Baltimore concert for Freddie Gray" http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/us/baltimore-prince-concert-rally4peace-mosby/index.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:27:51 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

gavroche

« Reply #1309 on: May 11, 2015, 10:41:35 am »
soooooooo... who was at the prince show last night? 

edit:  cnn's quick recap of the show: "Prince mixes politics and pop hits at Baltimore concert for Freddie Gray" http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/us/baltimore-prince-concert-rally4peace-mosby/index.html

I was at the Prince show last night and had a blast.  I had horrible seats originally but traded them in and got center floor seats at the last minute when some of them went on sale for $72 and it definitely was worth it for me. 

Show was supposed to start at 8:00 but it was pretty empty at 8:00 and it didn't kick off until 9:00.  Really solid set, pretty similar in feel to the musicology tour really, though a lot more crowd banter.  A lot of sing along vibe.  The cover of electric man was actually a highlight for me because sometimes the medley songs are a bit choppy to really get into the groove.

Great solo version of When Doves Cry as well which was pretty different. 

When you read the reviews it sounds like there were more politics then it felt like at the show.   I thought the collaboration with Doug E Fresh worked well.   

I had a great time.  Farm Fresh is a horrible place to see a show though.

K8teebug

« Reply #1310 on: May 11, 2015, 10:45:05 am »
I thought it was a good show, but was surprised at how sad I was about why we were all there. I was all the way in the back (by choice, my seat in the upper level at the front had absolutely awful sound, so we moved around the back). He played for 2.5 hours and was every bit the fantastic musician I thought he'd be. But, I was also sad he didn't pay Seven or Cream. But, you can't complain when he played so many songs and sounded great.

Have to admit, sad that Beyonce and Alicia Keys were there, but didn't come on stage, but Estelle and Doug E Fresh were fun.

gavroche

« Reply #1311 on: May 11, 2015, 11:03:00 am »
I thought it was a good show, but was surprised at how sad I was about why we were all there.

I had almost the opposite experience.  I go to a lot of protests and things (partly because of my job) and I was a bit hesitant about this show because of the framing.  Most of the ticket prices were super high (un-affordable for most of the people impacts by what is happening Baltimore) and it was unclear where the money went (and how much of it) and it kind of reeked of opportunism.  At the end I felt like Prince was actually coming from a good place, but didn't really know how to articulate it well and so it came off as mostly a normal concert experience (for good or bad). 

K8teebug

« Reply #1312 on: May 11, 2015, 11:51:04 am »
I agree. It came across as a mostly "normal" concert experience, I was just personally sad.

fatskippy

« Reply #1313 on: May 11, 2015, 01:40:49 pm »
Great show last night. I wonder how people in the GA pit got those tickets. I don't recall seeing them for sale anywhere.

K8teebug

« Reply #1314 on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:53 am »
I think they were the VIP tickets.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1315 on: May 12, 2015, 06:12:11 pm »
K8teebug I'm happy that you had a good time.  I could tell when this was announced and then when tickets went on sale that you were really stoked for the show.  Its great when things work out like that!
FUKIT

« Reply #1316 on: May 12, 2015, 09:01:28 pm »
uh-oh...RB is being nice again...is Jupiter in the 7th house or something?
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1317 on: May 12, 2015, 09:10:39 pm »

Must be the Luna/Ride effect... Surprised we haven't gotten the Official threads for those shows yet :)
T.Rex

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #1318 on: May 12, 2015, 09:32:12 pm »

I'm always nice, direct and to the point, but nice as well.
FUKIT

killsaly

« Reply #1319 on: May 14, 2015, 11:31:27 am »

I stayed at the front of the crowd at the Lightning Bolt set last night in Baltimore for about 15 seconds.  I was semi-warned about how crazy the pit would be, but was truly not prepared for what happened.  I have been in some pits, and have observed my fair share from the fringes; but this was something different.  As soon as they started, I was shoved into the stage and I could feel feet pressing into my ankles with enough force that I was worried for a second that my ankle would get twisted.  Arms slammed into my back with incredible force, and I knew I had to get out of there.  I started swinging my arms like a madman, and made my way out of the crowd.  I watched the rest of the show from the comfort of Floristree's skate ramp (I think that is what that is) that separates the music side from the entrance.

The music was loud and brutal.  The crowd loved it, especially the people going insane in the pit.  I mean, insane.  It is like Lightning Bolt unlocked some kind of primal urge in these folks.  Is it the speed of their tunes?  The batshit vocals?  The manic drumming?  The noise?  I don't know what was causing these people to lose their minds.  I think it was probably just the crowd behaving how they think a Lightning Bolt crowd should behave.

Lightning Bolt seem to have dropped the "playing in the middle of the crowd" gimmick.  And I understand why.  The drum set barely stayed in place with the amount of people climbing onto the small stage.  I could not imagine the drum set surviving for long in that crowd (plus I could see injuries from cymbals hitting faces, etc).

The openers were solid.  I am a fan of Buck Gooter now.  Strange Times People Band were cool.