Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1315748 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2070 on: June 28, 2016, 10:59:18 am »
I didn't know Mustard Plug was from Grand Rapids. Should have moved them up.

Motown artists of course deserve top billing, but they were way before my time. Never was a White Stripes fan. Was Wolf Eyes a real band? They're a noise act.

killsaly

« Reply #2071 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:03 am »
Was Wolf Eyes a real band? They're a noise act.
Was? 

Wolf Eyes still exists.  And yes, they are a real band.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2072 on: June 28, 2016, 04:24:51 pm »
I think you mean they are a TRip Metal bAnd

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2073 on: June 28, 2016, 06:25:04 pm »
Weezer/Panic!/Andrew McMahon

Parking/Travel: My first time to the Lubia. We took a 1/2 day, went to a couple of antique stores, got some grub at Wegman's nearby, and arrived at the Lubritorium at around 5:30pm; police directed me to a sweet parking spot on the embankment on the road in front of the venue so no problems leaving Lubetown at all.

Weezer: Was really there for Weezer, had not seen in 5 or so years, and enjoyed them (although not a fan of the medleys they are doing; I would one day love to see another long show by them (maybe one day a Surprise! at the club?).

Body Fat: Panic!'s frontman would fit in with Julian very well. No body fat on him. Can do backflips, hit the highnotes and play drums too! Bohemian Rhapsody cover was nice, with the crowd of mostly young folks very into it.

Luggage: Not a huge deal, but The Big Lubowski does not allow one to bring in any bags other than small "purses" and clear plastic bags like at the airport, etc. I have a small string backpack that was not permitted. Odd, in the span of three weeks or so I was at Pier 6, Red Rocks, Festival Pier in Philly, Merriweather, Wolf Trap and Los Lubos, and only JLL has such a policy. Are they worried about safety or folks bringing in food/drink? Hmmm. A National Park, a City Park, a Hurwitz Park, and whatever Pier 6 and Festival Pier are seem to do fine without such a restrictive policy.

No more Lubrication Station on my show horizon.

killsaly

« Reply #2074 on: June 28, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
I think you mean they are a TRip Metal bAnd
life is trip metal

hutch

« Reply #2075 on: June 30, 2016, 09:03:57 am »
I went to see Taj Mahal Trio at Ramshead Live last night....really good show... he is such a good guitar player.. maybe the vocals seemed a bit far away from my vantage point.. could have been a bit louder in the mix... the RHL staff waited 30 minutes to move the microphone set up closer to Taj ( a bit unprofessional in my view)

I had only seen Taj Mahal once as part of DC Jazz Festival free show on mall... and he played jazzier stuff.. not really his blues stuff which I love.. last night he played a lot of his more familiar songs... stuff like Fishin Blues or I'm going to move down the country and paint my mailbox blue... It always amazes me how some of these grizzled blues guys just get better with age but they do!

RHL charges $10 per beer now... I guess thats pretty standard now... doesn't make it any less painful...

I really wanted to meet him after the show... in the past 10 years I've really gotten into his music... but he's close to in his mid 70s and doesn't move around that well so I was not surprised when he didn't come out but his head roadie or whatever felt pity for me at the end and took my record back and got Taj to sign it...at least I think Taj signed it! :)

I would have loved to have seen Taj with a fuller band (he had four tubas on my favorite Taj record the live The Real Deal!) but of course that is not going to happen because it would cost a lot of money to tour with that kind of band...

bob72

« Reply #2076 on: July 02, 2016, 12:22:52 am »
My review of Flag at Black Cat:

Punks don't wear deodorant
PENIS

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2077 on: July 02, 2016, 12:34:26 am »
I'll buy that.

Headliner was also a tad too loud for their own good.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #2078 on: July 02, 2016, 11:21:39 am »
The Stone Roses at the Garden the other night well exceeded my expectations (especially after seeing some of the abysmal Manchester footage from a couple weeks ago), super tight musically (Reni is a fucking beast on drums and didn't mind letting everyone know that haha) and Ian had a rare night of actually singing in tune, well worth the trip.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #2079 on: July 02, 2016, 11:25:24 am »
I'll buy that.

yeah it was fucking painful, my ears are still ringing.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2080 on: July 02, 2016, 12:00:36 pm »
Left my earplugs in the car but figured they wouldn't make too much of a racket. Boy,  was I wrong.

The volume was completely unnecessary.

killsaly

« Reply #2081 on: July 02, 2016, 02:13:30 pm »
Black Cat has the worst sound system. 

hutch

« Reply #2082 on: July 02, 2016, 02:32:21 pm »
the Black Cat is where my tinnitus began.... I went to a show there about 10 years ago and after the show  my ears were ringing like crazy and i had headaches for a week...

I never understand why bands feel its ok to destroy the hearing of those that pay them money.

bob72

« Reply #2083 on: July 02, 2016, 03:58:36 pm »
yeah it was fucking painful, my ears are still ringing.

complete understatements.

when they first came out I was about 5 feet from the speakers on the right side of the stage. It was so deafening that I couldn't make a damn thing out. I spent the rest of the show back behind the sound booth.
PENIS

shemptiness

« Reply #2084 on: July 02, 2016, 05:58:53 pm »
The Stone Roses at the Garden the other night well exceeded my expectations (especially after seeing some of the abysmal Manchester footage from a couple weeks ago), super tight musically (Reni is a fucking beast on drums and didn't mind letting everyone know that haha) and Ian had a rare night of actually singing in tune, well worth the trip.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/the-stone-roses-played-msg-their-first-nyc-show-in-20-years-pics-video-setlist/