Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313348 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2295 on: October 16, 2016, 09:34:49 am »
Went to see the Descendents last night...not sure if it was just my mood or what but that was one of the most obnoxious crowds I've been around in ages. Too many shovers, too many smelly people, too many people vaping inside. What the hell is the stuff that people smoke that smells like a cross between baby formula and talcum powder?? Absolutely disgusting. I have also decided that I really don't care for the FSS. It's going to take something really special for me to go back that way. Sold out shows there are ridiculously cramped. I sort of knew this already, but I've never seen the 9:30 post signs that say "our main floor has reached capacity, please enjoy the performance from the balcony!". To me that says you're selling too many tickets for the space and it's a fire hazard. Or have a designated number of seats for the main floor and some for the balcony the way that they do it at the Warfield in SF. Anyway, the Descendents were great but it would have been a better show at the 9:30. Odd that they played "Bikeage" in the middle of the set. That always seems like such an an encore song.

I agree. I hate that venue. To be avoided unless it is a must see show... I think the Descendents counts as a must see show though since they hardly every play..

I was surprised they sold out so quickly.. by my count that is like 2000 tickets...

hutch

« Reply #2296 on: October 16, 2016, 09:40:41 am »
Glad they played No! ALL!!

bob72

« Reply #2297 on: October 16, 2016, 07:42:36 pm »
Went to see the Descendents last night...not sure if it was just my mood or what but that was one of the most obnoxious crowds I've been around in ages. Too many shovers, too many smelly people, too many people vaping inside. What the hell is the stuff that people smoke that smells like a cross between baby formula and talcum powder?? Absolutely disgusting. I have also decided that I really don't care for the FSS. It's going to take something really special for me to go back that way. Sold out shows there are ridiculously cramped. I sort of knew this already, but I've never seen the 9:30 post signs that say "our main floor has reached capacity, please enjoy the performance from the balcony!". To me that says you're selling too many tickets for the space and it's a fire hazard. Or have a designated number of seats for the main floor and some for the balcony the way that they do it at the Warfield in SF. Anyway, the Descendents were great but it would have been a better show at the 9:30. Odd that they played "Bikeage" in the middle of the set. That always seems like such an an encore song.
how about the chick accusing the Descendents of promoting rape culture? That was bizarre... I'm surprised Milo and the FSS staff let her have the mic

I enjoyed the show otherwise though and the DC themed t-shirt is spot on
PENIS

hutch

« Reply #2298 on: October 16, 2016, 09:04:36 pm »
wow that is so punk rock!

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2299 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:31 am »
Really loved the Teenage Fanclub show on Friday. Arrived later than I thought I would, so skipped looking for the meetup. Enjoyed the opener's set; then ran into a friend from college who is a huge TF fan. Hung out with him and his wife. I would have loved to hear Star Sign. But was otherwise happy with the set. Afterwards chatted with Norman, took a picture of college friend and his wife with Norman. He seems like a genuine nice fella.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLklFB4D3h7/?taken-by=jdginstagramz&hl=en

If you are a downloading type of person, the Bowery Ballroom show is here (and they played Star Sign followed by The Concept):

http://www.nyctaper.com/2016/10/teenage-fanclub-october-15-2016-bowery-ballroom/

hutch

« Reply #2300 on: October 17, 2016, 11:06:24 am »
Really loved the Teenage Fanclub show on Friday. Arrived later than I thought I would, so skipped looking for the meetup. Enjoyed the opener's set; then ran into a friend from college who is a huge TF fan. Hung out with him and his wife. I would have loved to hear Star Sign. But was otherwise happy with the set. Afterwards chatted with Norman, took a picture of college friend and his wife with Norman. He seems like a genuine nice fella.

If you are a downloading type of person, the Bowery Ballroom show is here (and they played Star Sign followed by The Concept):

http://www.nyctaper.com/2016/10/teenage-fanclub-october-15-2016-bowery-ballroom/

wow you got the set list! nice!

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2301 on: October 17, 2016, 11:22:02 am »

wow you got the set list! nice!

;D

My hoarding of merch and memorabilia is going to make for one superfun estate sale one day.

andyrichter

« Reply #2302 on: October 18, 2016, 01:12:58 pm »
That's too bad. They seemed to be enjoying themselves onstage big time.

Yes...it's just unfortunate though. Band dynamics are complicated. People are complicated. I get the sense that this was a way to properly close the chapter and feel like they did something good. It satisfied their desire to finish their story and end on a happier note. I respect and admire that in a way. But it also feels like there was more there...more good music, more great gigs. Maybe they'll change their minds. But for now, that's highly unlikely.

As you were saying.....this seals it.   :(

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/lush-cancel-tour-dates-after-bassist-phil-king-quits/

Lush bassist Phil King has left the group, which has caused the cancelation of the band?s upcoming European tour dates. The official statement from Lush:

We are very sad to announce the departure of Phil King from the band. As a result, we will no longer be able to appear at the Iceland Airwaves and Rolling Stone Weekender festivals ? massive apologies to everyone who was looking forward to seeing us play there. We are in the process of acquiring another bass player and look forward to our final show at Manchester Academy on November 25th.

Very sad to hear that Phil?s left the band. In addition to playing with Lush, King has a long UK indie pedigree, having played in Felt, The Servants, Biff Bang Pow!, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and others.

Lush, who reformed last year after 20 years away, played two shows in NYC in September

hutch

« Reply #2303 on: October 18, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »
seems very unprofessional...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2304 on: October 18, 2016, 01:27:20 pm »
Especially surprising when you consider rock musicians' long legacy of professionalism, work ethic, and skillfulness in working out interpersonal difficulties with others.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2305 on: October 18, 2016, 02:30:41 pm »
Especially surprising when you consider rock musicians' long legacy of professionalism, work ethic, and skillfulness in working out interpersonal difficulties with others.

I did not think of that...but you're right.. in that context even more surprising...

« Reply #2306 on: October 18, 2016, 02:31:27 pm »
dude...he's the bassist
Do you really think he can't be replaced....crazy they would cancel all those dates
I bet they could get some uber-fan (ala Henry rollins) to jump in and take over

slack

Relaxer

« Reply #2307 on: October 19, 2016, 10:52:27 am »
Except that Rollins, ya know, doesn't play an instrument. But your overall point is a good one. How hard could it be to find some bass-playing uber fan? Or just get Flea to do it. He's always up for this kind of thing. And frankly, maybe Lush could use a little slap-bass funkization
oword

Bagley

« Reply #2308 on: October 19, 2016, 11:01:40 am »
Enjoyed the Jerry Garcia tribute at Constitution Hall last Friday.  I mainly went to see Alison Krauss sing some ballads. And that she did.  The Peggy - O was gorgeous as was I'll Take a Melody. Midnight Moonlight was great, rollicking, earthy fun.
John Medeski was a great choice on keys, especially the B-3.  Merl would have been proud.
Jamey Johnson was a pleasant surprise.  I didn't know his stuff.  His husky, twangy vocals were perfect for the likes of Mama Tried, Georgia on my Mind, etc.
Warren's....., well Warren.  Consistently great instrumental chops.
The only drawback was that the sound got a little muddy at times.  Hard to discern Alison's fiddle.
Raymond Weber, the  (New Orleans) drummer, apparently has played with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Dumstaphunk.
The venue was maybe 3/4s full.

Long live the Captain!!!

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2309 on: October 27, 2016, 05:19:53 pm »
Enjoyed the Jerry Garcia tribute at Constitution Hall last Friday.  I mainly went to see Alison Krauss sing some ballads. And that she did.  The Peggy - O was gorgeous as was I'll Take a Melody. Midnight Moonlight was great, rollicking, earthy fun.
John Medeski was a great choice on keys, especially the B-3.  Merl would have been proud.
Jamey Johnson was a pleasant surprise.  I didn't know his stuff.  His husky, twangy vocals were perfect for the likes of Mama Tried, Georgia on my Mind, etc.
Warren's....., well Warren.  Consistently great instrumental chops.
The only drawback was that the sound got a little muddy at times.  Hard to discern Alison's fiddle.
Raymond Weber, the  (New Orleans) drummer, apparently has played with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Dumstaphunk.
The venue was maybe 3/4s full.

Long live the Captain!!!

Sounds great Bagman.

In the other shows no one cares about ( :P) file:

Last night, I was at the "Look Park" show at the Barns/WolfTrap. Was not heavily attended; so was happy to purchase at the door and save $9.25 in service charges. Chris was his usual deadpan laconic self; he had a lead guitarist (from the Winterpills) and a keyboard player. The new songs were great live - lotsa really nice plush harmonies. The Fountains of Wayne songs were fun: Red Dragon Tattoo, Dip in the Ocean, Barbara H., etc...Show at 8, over by 9:30ish, home by 10. Solid night of entertainment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMDD8IdjGke/?taken-by=jdginstagramz