Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313386 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1425 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:58 am »
I've never understood why poor people defend rich people.  Its what leads so many to vote against their own economic self interest.
Again, that's not an apt analogy. Buying a CD vs Stealing it is not the same as "voting." Everyone gets a say in taxes, for example. People should weigh their own self-interests vs the greater good and vote accordingly, I agree.

Deciding you don't like a business' model and don't care about someone else's intellectual property rights and therefore you are going to steal something is not the same thing. It's not close. The artist "gets a say" because they created it. The label "gets a say" because they put up all the money to record it (in most cases.) The consumer "gets a say" only in the very limited sense of they can purchase it or not. The mental gymnastics people pull off about "the CD model is outdated, therefore I should be able to download it for free" or "I'm sure Ritter would prefer I listen to it for free but attend his concert" (sidenote: I love how many people are mindreaders and know what artists want) is staggering.

damn.. yes and yes.. i'm agreeing so much with julian i'm scared..time to go back to weedwackin'

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1426 on: June 16, 2015, 10:05:01 am »
The most rabid defenders of intellectual property rights actually don't own any intellectual property.

Yada

« Reply #1427 on: June 16, 2015, 10:06:35 am »
they do put you to sleep...

If you found their cds so boring, why did you pay to see them live?

yawn..maybe i heard they were the best songwriters in America at their genre and thought I'd give them a chance...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1428 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:33 am »
The most rabid defenders of intellectual property rights actually don't own any intellectual property.
Do you actually think that if a business' model is inefficient people should be able to steal from them? "Oh, well, Walmart isn't monetizing Milano cookies to the maximum effect, let's smash in this plate glass window and ransack the place!" Are you actually proposing we just throw intellectual property out the window? I'm sure having no way to monetize software, books, music, movies, etc is going to be super great for us as a society.

It's easy to respond to just respond to things with one-sentence trite, ad homonym, non-sequitur but it doesn't hold up to ten seconds of analysis.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:17:06 am by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1429 on: June 16, 2015, 10:24:03 am »
Oh no, it wasn't a compendium of thoughts about intellectual property.  My point was that from an economic perspective, your moral high ground doesn't serve your individual interests. 

« Reply #1430 on: June 16, 2015, 10:37:41 am »
your moral high ground doesn't serve your individual interests. 
The same is true if you could have $10 but 3 million Cambodian children die as a result and you pass on the $10.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1431 on: June 16, 2015, 11:12:16 am »
Correct.

« Reply #1432 on: June 16, 2015, 11:23:20 am »
LVMH

« Reply #1433 on: June 16, 2015, 12:33:26 pm »
man step away for some meetings and PSB turns into some serious back and forth
although signifying nothing
slack

hutch

« Reply #1434 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:48 pm »
Oh no, it wasn't a compendium of thoughts about intellectual property.  My point was that from an economic perspective, your moral high ground doesn't serve your individual interests. 

preposterous... you cannot abrogate for yourself the determination of my individual interest...

« Reply #1435 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:16 pm »
some serious back and forth although signifying nothing
TIL, serious back and forth = sound and fury.
LVMH

« Reply #1436 on: June 16, 2015, 12:47:20 pm »
some serious back and forth although signifying nothing
TIL, serious back and forth = sound and fury.
the bard, not a resident of Yoknapatawpha County
slack

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1437 on: June 16, 2015, 02:06:49 pm »
I love Neko Case. I saw her with Martha Wainwright at the club and it was one of my favorite shows.

you saw Martha live . . . so jelly right now.

gavroche

« Reply #1438 on: June 18, 2015, 11:32:45 am »
I went to Moz at echo stage last night and had a surprisingly good time.  I ended up getting my tickets for a little less than $25 each on the secondary market.  Echostage was horrible to get to from the city without a car.  We were going to take the D2 but it never showed up and we got nervous so we ended up taking the metro to NOMA and then the shuttle (which was basically a school bus).  As a result we didn't get to go to Panda Gourmet.  We got to NOMA about 7:00 and were in front of echostage about 7:40 with a line wrapping all the way around the block.  It moved ok and were in just after 8:00.  I ended up about 1/3 of the way up front on the floor.  Site was actually decent for a venue that big and there was decent room to move around.  Sound was a little echoie but not bad.  Moz was everything I expected, and a little bit more.  There was a moment where he caught a flower mid flight without breaking his note that was hilarious.  Really gruesome screen graphics during meat is murder as well.  I didn't have any problems with the place being too warm, in fact I was under a vent and freezing until I was able to move up a bit.  I was fortunately to be able to snag a ride to the metro on the way out though and not have to deal with that shuttle business. Echo stage is a major commitment for people like me who don't drive.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:34:39 am by gavroche »

K8teebug

« Reply #1439 on: June 18, 2015, 11:43:50 am »
Glad it was fun! Should have warned you about meat is murder.