Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1315602 times)

challenged

• Instagram
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2025 on: May 18, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »
Louis CK was very funny in Baltimore last night. Had never been to the Lyric; nice.

hutch

« Reply #2026 on: May 18, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »
i forgot to mention graham parker played a cover of cream

finally someone doesn't do purple rain!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2027 on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:34 am »
Saw the Body at the Pinch last night. Six bands on a weeknight is probably 3 or 4 too many. Especially when I only liked half of the acts. Got home at 2:30.

The Body was tight. Chip is an awesome dude.

killsaly

« Reply #2028 on: May 25, 2016, 10:53:55 am »
Six bands on a weeknight is probably 3 or 4 too many. Especially when I only liked half of the acts.
Yeah that is a bit much.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2029 on: May 25, 2016, 12:10:33 pm »
The Canadian doom band was good tho. Almost all of the other openers were meh.

killsaly

« Reply #2030 on: May 25, 2016, 12:18:48 pm »
Phobocosm?  I am thinking about seeing them on Sunday...

The Body, Phobocosm, and Jail Solidarity would have been the only bands on that bill that I would have wanted to see.  I wonder why they stacked the bill like that... The Body show in Baltimore has 2 less groups on it.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2031 on: May 25, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »
That's them, I think. There was another doom band on the bill and they were the better of the two, imo.

I didn't really care for Jail Solidarity, to be honest.

Unsanity

« Reply #2032 on: May 26, 2016, 02:54:27 am »
Phobocosm and Socialite were last minute additions to the line up. I missed Exar Kun and Jail Solidarity but saw all the others. It was a late show but I had a great time.

killsaly

« Reply #2033 on: June 05, 2016, 04:11:34 pm »
Last night's Modern English show was maybe my favorite night of music so far for 2016. 

A few notes:
The Holy Circle are really coming along as a band.  I have seen them three times so far and they keep getting better.  The addition of a drummer was definitely the spark that they needed.  Expert Alterations played a set of only old tunes, as new (touring member only, I believe) band member Kevin is still learning their new tunes.  Shadow Age's set varied between uninspired, generic goth rock and decent, almost good post-punk. 

(Expert Alterations)

Pleasure Leftists ruled.  But if your complaint was the frontwoman only has one dance move, you would probably have the same complaint.  I have been a fan for a long time and seeing them live for a second time further cemented their status.  My only complaint was their set was only 20 minutes, instead of the allotted 30.  The show mostly was running on time, but by the time Pleasure Leftists played, it was running ten minutes behind, so they ended their set early so that Modern English could start at the scheduled 11:30 and have the full 90 minutes to end their set at 1am. 

(Pleasure Leftists)

And then it was the main event;  Modern English performing their first album, Mesh and Lace, in it's entirety and a few other choice cuts from their 4AD material.  First off, I believe that four of the five (everyone except the drummer) were the original members from this time period.  They sounded great.  I am glad we had a late show in the tour, as their playing was really tight.  The half-filled Ottobar was into their music, singing along with most of it.  The frontman had some witty banter and was extremely charming.  I watched the first 60 minutes from the front, and the last 30 from the back.  Their music sounded surprisingly fresh and vital, and I think they captured that youthful energy from their tunes. The encore included a Bowie cover ("Jean Genie") and of course ended with "the song everybody knows", "I Melt with You". 

(Modern English)

After the show Modern English signed items for people at the merch table, and took pictures with people.  I was able to get a copy of After the Snow signed that Hutch got for me earlier this year for this very purpose, so much thanks to him for grabbing me that.  The guys in the band were all nice and I shook the singers hand.  I also bought the show poster with all the bands listed, and the Mesh and Lace tour t-shirt.

hutch

« Reply #2034 on: June 05, 2016, 04:26:44 pm »
awesome due! well done...

walk,on,by

« Reply #2035 on: June 05, 2016, 06:28:38 pm »
due?

hutch

« Reply #2036 on: June 05, 2016, 06:43:10 pm »

hutch

« Reply #2037 on: June 07, 2016, 02:13:49 pm »
ok Mudcrutch show was exhilarating.... but I am too lazy to write much

-sound was incredible...
-Petty on bass .. so good.. sound so good. he was so concentrating.. you could hear his bass notes so distinctly
-Bonus: herb pedersen..
-Mike Campbell remains one of the more underrated guitarists
-Loved the fact they played all songs from the two mudcrutch albums and nothing else save for Dylan's Knockin' on heaven's dorr (first time they played it Petty said)... you could tell they were into everything about the show..
- Petty gave props to the 930/Leadon gave props to DC, crowd
- I think Petty got high on stage...
- Tench piano/keyboards was the only thing that kept it from being sonically perfect.. at times too soft...they changed the volume during the show back and forth..
-average age probably mid 50s... so I felt young.. tons of people wearing their Nissan Petty show shirts..

I liked it so much I bought a poster during the encore.. something I tend to never do...

non Mudcrunchy issues

- Yuengling now $8??? WTF/... same price as Flying Dog Snake IPA... weird
- security was out of control trying to shut down filming.. moving at times through crowd in packs of five.. moving in the middle of songs at key passages like the orgasm part of the jam... REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING.. even the substitutions (of the guys who hang next to speakers scouring crowd) at times were done in the middle of songs... a bit its my own fault because where I was hanging was a high traffic security area over by the food window and then by wall stage right..but it was really kind of weird.. many times you'd have FIVE "security" people storm by in the middle of songs... whatever..
- towards the end a guy was so drunk I left my prime real estate because I thought he was going to puke on me.. geez...

Kubacheck

« Reply #2038 on: June 07, 2016, 03:58:17 pm »
^ great show..... I hung back by the soundboard... funny, i noticed all the security, but I never noticed them shutting anyone down..... sound was good, sometimes the vocals were a bit scant where I was, but the sound was 100 times better than it was at the Ryman show last week.... I think they were professionally recording the show, they had audience mics up on each side of the board cage and a couple more pointed at the stage..... if they had some onstage (like they did last week), I couldn't see....

dyecraig

« Reply #2039 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:42 pm »
^ thanks for the reviews, what a blast that must have been.
hopefully we'll see some (not cellphone) footage someday.