Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313426 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4515 on: August 22, 2022, 04:32:15 pm »
Last show seeing Lee Scratch Perry was just embarrassing.  Had to walk out about 1/2 way through.  I rarely leave a show early.  He was just too old and out of it.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4516 on: August 22, 2022, 04:42:16 pm »
Last show seeing Lee Scratch Perry was just embarrassing.  Had to walk out about 1/2 way through.  I rarely leave a show early.  He was just too old and out of it.

I felt that way about Dylan like 12 years ago.

/ducks/

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4517 on: August 25, 2022, 08:23:50 am »
Enjoyed The Decemberists last night, who are always great live but for me it’s sort of down to the setlist.. i.e. them doing the entirety of “Hazards Of Love” the last time we saw them in 2009 made me grumpy..

I also favor their short poppier songs,  verses their long prog rock leaning songs..

Last night they were digging deep into catalog with a wide ranging show, maybe a bit more of the overblown stuff then songs like “16 Military Wives” my fav tune by them.

But, their newest touring band member Lizzy Ellison has an amazing voice that worked really well on “The Wanting Comes in Waves / Repaid”.

Still bummed about cancellation of the Short Songs/Long Songs your.. would love another chance to attend a song short show..
T.Rex

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #4518 on: August 25, 2022, 09:44:49 am »
Still bummed about cancellation of the Short Songs/Long Songs your.. would love another chance to attend a song short show..

Was thinking about this tour the other day. Had tickets to both. Imagine those sets would have been incredible as it was back in their heyday.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:49:13 am by Schulzenstein »

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4519 on: August 25, 2022, 10:16:35 am »
Enjoyed The Decemberists show last night.  I actually enjoyed the heavier longer songs the most- The Infanta, Severed, Rusalka.  Thought the crowd was pretty lame and subdued (Wolf Trap crowds?).  Agree the back up singer was amazing.

Yada

« Reply #4520 on: August 25, 2022, 10:29:51 am »
Enjoyed The Decemberists show last night.  I actually enjoyed the heavier longer songs the most- The Infanta, Severed, Rusalka.  Thought the crowd was pretty lame and subdued (Wolf Trap crowds? Decemberists Crowds).  Agree the back up singer was amazing.

Bagley

« Reply #4521 on: August 25, 2022, 03:28:53 pm »

Was thinking about this tour the other day. Had tickets to both. Imagine those sets would have been incredible as it was back in their heyday.

Indeed.  Still have the poster for those nights. I believe they cancelled because of Jenny's ill health. She seems to have recovered nicely.

For me last nights show, boiled down to two words- Crane Wife.  Love that song- especially when they performed it at Merriweather back in 2007 with the BSO- glorious.  Without that song, the performance/song selection was just ok.

Where i was sitting the crowd was attentive and quite perky- even some dancing in the aisles.

I recently puchased Colin's cover collection- enjoying the Kinks tunes in particular...

Yada

« Reply #4522 on: August 26, 2022, 09:31:31 pm »
Anyone see Burning Spear?  Any reviews?

My friend went last night and said it was amazing... bummed I didn't muster up the energy to get there last month.

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #4523 on: August 30, 2022, 09:29:56 am »
One of the most raucous crowds i've ever seen last night for Lorde. She has cultivated quite the following. Put on a great show. Really took advantage of the room in order to deliver a theatrical experience.

Starsky

« Reply #4524 on: August 30, 2022, 02:05:00 pm »
One of the most raucous crowds i've ever seen last night for Lorde. She has cultivated quite the following. Put on a great show. Really took advantage of the room in order to deliver a theatrical experience.

Nice!

Starsky

« Reply #4525 on: September 01, 2022, 09:13:08 am »
Whitlows has reopened right by the club

By 11 they had stopped serving. Kind of useless.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4526 on: September 05, 2022, 11:39:22 am »
Heedfest 11 - Dayton, OH
Heedfest is technically from Thursday night to Sunday afternoon.  My group was only there for Friday night and all day Saturday.  We drove from Columbia, MD area to Dayton.  It's a long drive but pretty easy-prob 8 hours plus rest/recharging time. 

My observations (not in any specific order of importance):

1. First thing to notice is GBV band members including Bob are at every gathering (at least Friday through Sunday). They are easily approachable and will talk to you if you choose to initiate.  I only talked to Bobby Bare, Jr. for a few minutes, although if I was an outgoing person, there was plenty of opportunity to talk with Bob and get a picture with him.  Mark Shue seems like a genuinely fun, enthusiastic and nice guy.
2.  Whole vibe is like a family reunion, where you don't really know anybody but most have a least 1 thing in common - an unreasonable fondness for GBV.
3. I sort of felt like an imposter as I was most likely the least fanatical and knowledgeable person there about all things Bob.  That being said most people there seemed to have a deep musical knowledge and appreciation for good music.  Everyone was really nice, welcoming and sharing. People wearing artists tee shirts were a good starting point for striking up conversation.  Spoke with guy with Tommy Keene teeshirt who was at same show from the 80's where Tommy opened for The Replacements. Ends up he was friends with Tommy.  Spoke with people who dug the Feelies, The Call, The Kinks, and other fans of cool groups.
4.  The crowd was about 250 people.  Mix of Dayton people who had direct connection to Bob and the band; members and friends of the tribute bands, and people traveling to Dayton (couple of people from Australia made the trip).
5.  Main day was held at Polish grounds which was probably built in the 50's and hasn't changed since.  It is held outdoors with various places providing cover which is good cause it rained most of day.
6.  Plenty of beer (not just miller lite), alcohol.  Weed and weed edible products were available if you sought them out, although the brownies ended up being a little too much for some Heedfesters apparently.
7.  Bob and band did not play at all.
8.  Whether the cover bands were very good, good, mediocre or just bad didn't matter. The bands had fun, the crowd loved them and sang almost every song played.
9.  Plenty of food provided which was pretty good and helped soak up consumed beers.
10. Dayton sucks and is a depressing place.  We stayed at hotel that was blocked for the festival.  Nothing happening in Dayton, no one around and not much to do.  Seems like a very depressed midwest city.  Hotel was the Renaissance and it was run down and old.
11.  Some people made buttons, key chains and other swag that they handed out to people.
12.  Some GBV fans are just annoying and a little too over the top in their need to show their fandom.  This is probably their best opportunity to shine, and they realize it.  Luckily not that many people fell into this category.
13.  Plenty of really cool door prizes were given out (I struck out).
14.  Friday night at the Yellow Cab Tavern they played La La Land- new album coming out in January which sounded great.  Also played a new non-album singles compilation album coming out in the next few weeks -Scalping The Guru.
15.  They did have a merch table set up with tee shirts and other items, which I heard they haven't done in the past.  That was a nice bonus.
16.  Will I go again?...ask me in 6 months.  If it was closer, I would probably go again. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4527 on: September 05, 2022, 12:32:52 pm »
I sat for nearly an hour in Baltimore traffic OTW to the Mountain Goats due to massive road closures. Apparently some bike race with 46 finishers shut down the entire Inner Harbor and good chunks of Maryland for much of the day....SMH. At least 20,000 runners show up for the Baltimore marathon...

Starsky

« Reply #4528 on: September 05, 2022, 07:47:54 pm »
Heedfest 11 - Dayton, OH
Heedfest is technically from Thursday night to Sunday afternoon.  My group was only there for Friday night and all day Saturday.  We drove from Columbia, MD area to Dayton.  It's a long drive but pretty easy-prob 8 hours plus rest/recharging time. 

My observations (not in any specific order of importance):

1. First thing to notice is GBV band members including Bob are at every gathering (at least Friday through Sunday). They are easily approachable and will talk to you if you choose to initiate.  I only talked to Bobby Bare, Jr. for a few minutes, although if I was an outgoing person, there was plenty of opportunity to talk with Bob and get a picture with him.  Mark Shue seems like a genuinely fun, enthusiastic and nice guy.
2.  Whole vibe is like a family reunion, where you don't really know anybody but most have a least 1 thing in common - an unreasonable fondness for GBV.
3. I sort of felt like an imposter as I was most likely the least fanatical and knowledgeable person there about all things Bob.  That being said most people there seemed to have a deep musical knowledge and appreciation for good music.  Everyone was really nice, welcoming and sharing. People wearing artists tee shirts were a good starting point for striking up conversation.  Spoke with guy with Tommy Keene teeshirt who was at same show from the 80's where Tommy opened for The Replacements. Ends up he was friends with Tommy.  Spoke with people who dug the Feelies, The Call, The Kinks, and other fans of cool groups.
4.  The crowd was about 250 people.  Mix of Dayton people who had direct connection to Bob and the band; members and friends of the tribute bands, and people traveling to Dayton (couple of people from Australia made the trip).
5.  Main day was held at Polish grounds which was probably built in the 50's and hasn't changed since.  It is held outdoors with various places providing cover which is good cause it rained most of day.
6.  Plenty of beer (not just miller lite), alcohol.  Weed and weed edible products were available if you sought them out, although the brownies ended up being a little too much for some Heedfesters apparently.
7.  Bob and band did not play at all.
8.  Whether the cover bands were very good, good, mediocre or just bad didn't matter. The bands had fun, the crowd loved them and sang almost every song played.
9.  Plenty of food provided which was pretty good and helped soak up consumed beers.
10. Dayton sucks and is a depressing place.  We stayed at hotel that was blocked for the festival.  Nothing happening in Dayton, no one around and not much to do.  Seems like a very depressed midwest city.  Hotel was the Renaissance and it was run down and old.
11.  Some people made buttons, key chains and other swag that they handed out to people.
12.  Some GBV fans are just annoying and a little too over the top in their need to show their fandom.  This is probably their best opportunity to shine, and they realize it.  Luckily not that many people fell into this category.
13.  Plenty of really cool door prizes were given out (I struck out).
14.  Friday night at the Yellow Cab Tavern they played La La Land- new album coming out in January which sounded great.  Also played a new non-album singles compilation album coming out in the next few weeks -Scalping The Guru.
15.  They did have a merch table set up with tee shirts and other items, which I heard they haven't done in the past.  That was a nice bonus.
16.  Will I go again?...ask me in 6 months.  If it was closer, I would probably go again.

This sounds fantastic. I hope to go soon…

Do old GBV band members also show?

I can’t believe people would come from Australia! They must be doing their walkabout thing….

Bummer to hear about Dayton but not surprising…a lot of America is like that…

I think Heedfest is a fundraiser for Dayton….

Yada

« Reply #4529 on: September 09, 2022, 10:17:39 am »
Spiritualized - 9.8.22
---------------------------------------------------
Pre show Dinner at Rooster and Owl was a solid 9.375/10. Definitely the best value high end meal in the city... Can't be beat for price and quality IMO.

Highlights included
  • WATERMELON  manchego | serrano ham | marcona almonds
  • PEACH SALAD | feta | almonds | anchovy vinaigrette
  • CUCUMBER SPIRALS  pickled fresno | garlic crunch | tahini
  • SHRIMP TARTINE  Gulf shrimp | sourdough | Sungold tomato jus
  • KING TRUMPET NOODLES  zha jiang sauce | daikon | cucumber
  • SCALLOPS cilantro | coconut-carrot curry | puffed forbidden rice

Showtime on 9:30.com - 8:30pm, actual showtime was 9pm (first time that's happened in a while)

Damn, everytime I see this band I'm blown away. Thankful somehow the lord has kept Spaceman on earth. Other than a brief thank you at the very end, not a word was said... Back up singers, two guitars, keys, bass, drummer (i have no clue how he even breaks even). Place was booming. And like all great 930 shows, It was probably 60/70% filled, if that. The show focused primarily on recent material.

I forgot my birthday cupcake.