Author Topic: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)  (Read 300406 times)

Starsky

Re: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)
« Reply #1305 on: August 19, 2022, 01:16:24 pm »
Natalie was such a distinctive singer…I can’t believe they soldiered on…then their main guitar player and songwriter Peter Buck (no relation) passed away.

Confession: I was a huge 10,000 Maniacs fan back in the day. One of my first rock shows was seeing them at the Mosque in Richmond.

Them soldiering on reminds me of the Pogues without Shane. Just impossible.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 01:23:09 pm by Starsky »

Bagley

« Reply #1306 on: August 19, 2022, 02:13:46 pm »
Huge Natalie fan. I was actually quite infatuated with her back in the day.  I'll never forget the back to back 10K Maniac shows I caught at the old 9:30.  Between songs and during instrumental breaks, she read a book-appearing somewhat aloof in a beguiling way.  Still gives me goosebumps. 

No interest in the replacement maniacals.

Space Freely

« Reply #1307 on: August 19, 2022, 02:37:40 pm »
In a former life, I was a public school teacher. I remember briefly having co-worker who told me she was Natalie's cousin. Or at least that's what I remember.

But I just googled her, and she's actually Natalie's sister.

That's my Maniacs story. Never saw them or Natalie live. Though I think I almost went to see them in London in 1989.

Space Freely

« Reply #1308 on: August 19, 2022, 02:54:08 pm »
Remainder of the 10,000 maniacs tour.
Saw them about two years ago at a dinner theatre here in Richmond. The "new" singer -- don't call her that, they'll point out she's been in the band 25 years -- really could not sound less like Natalie Merchant. Their new material sounds like something Smackie would drink cheap beer to at an Irish fest. It's really weird where they took the band,

How do we know that if Natalie had remained with the band, they would be doing Irish jigs anyway? I give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22hKOL4gXhQ

Starsky

« Reply #1309 on: August 19, 2022, 02:57:46 pm »
Huge Natalie fan. I was actually quite infatuated with her back in the day.  I'll never forget the back to back 10K Maniac shows I caught at the old 9:30.  Between songs and during instrumental breaks, she read a book-appearing somewhat aloof in a beguiling way.  Still gives me goosebumps. 

No interest in the replacement maniacals.

Yeah I was infatuated with Natalie. Very beautiful, in a classy way, and that voice! Also some killer covers that introduced me to some great music like John Prine, the Flatlanders (on MTV unplugged)…. Also a killer Tom Waits cover. In some ways she broke ground for the many many alternative female singers that came along.

Starsky

« Reply #1310 on: August 19, 2022, 03:00:50 pm »
Saw them about two years ago at a dinner theatre here in Richmond. The "new" singer -- don't call her that, they'll point out she's been in the band 25 years -- really could not sound less like Natalie Merchant. Their new material sounds like something Smackie would drink cheap beer to at an Irish fest. It's really weird where they took the band,

How do we know that if Natalie had remained with the band, they would be doing Irish jigs anyway? I give you this:

Around the late 90s Natalie decided she didn’t care about selling records. She sort of decided to record what she wanted when she wanted and kind of walked away from it all. She plays what she wants when she wants.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1311 on: August 19, 2022, 03:21:44 pm »

Around the late 90s Natalie decided she didn’t care about selling records. She sort of decided to record what she wanted when she wanted and kind of walked away from it all. She plays what she wants when she wants.
I get the strong impression she became one of those people who makes their family's own soap as a hobby.
LVMH

Mobius

« Reply #1312 on: August 19, 2022, 03:59:39 pm »
First heard them when Natalie Merchant and Robert Buck were on Letterman in 1987 (just them playing with Paul and house band). It was like a Beatles on Ed Sullivan moment for people who like libraries. Her voice, presence, charisma we’re mind blowing
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 04:08:11 pm by Mobius »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1313 on: August 19, 2022, 04:11:32 pm »
Was not expecting this many 10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant stans. One of my wife’s absolute favorites.

Verdi Cries is an all timer.
LVMH

lily1

« Reply #1314 on: August 22, 2022, 07:10:10 am »
Salif Keita's entire US tour.

"We regret to inform you that due to circumstances beyond our control, Salif Keita's U.S. tour dates must be postponed to a later date. Salif and his team are working on securing a new time frame in 2023 for all U.S. shows. Our sincere apologies to the fans and we hope to see you next year."

Starsky

« Reply #1315 on: August 22, 2022, 11:16:55 am »
Dave Ball isn’t able to join Soft Cell on upcoming US tour dates.

shemptiness

« Reply #1316 on: August 25, 2022, 01:54:58 pm »

Yada

« Reply #1317 on: August 25, 2022, 10:20:10 pm »
Cass McCombs' tour

Bagley

« Reply #1318 on: August 31, 2022, 10:15:32 am »
Bauhaus

Space Freely

« Reply #1319 on: August 31, 2022, 10:56:43 am »
I'm finally getting a refund for the cancelled May Little Simz show, moved from Union Stage to Fillmore, that I bought tickets to nearly a year ago (thinking i was getting a Union Stage sowq.)