Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243779 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4995 on: October 22, 2014, 12:23:29 pm »
last night was the monthly DC Homebrewers meeting.  first time in a year i've been able to attend.  it was held at blue jacket. 

the homebrews i drank varied in quality, from a few clearly problematic (brewer knew his beer had issues and brought it for evaluation) to mostly downright amazing (crazy IPAs, a kriek, a barrel-aged BDSA, hoppy saisons, etc.).  my soured saison was well received.

i had a number of tasters of BJ's beers (descriptions here)

DARLING BUDS: EQUINOX: equinox is a new hop that is getting rave reviews to i was excited to try this.  result was disappointing.  it's a wet-hopped beer, meaning that they used fresh un-dried hops. i got a lot of vegetal/grassy and not a lot of hop character.

VIGNETTE - fail.  had a weird off-flavor (diacetyl) that made the sourness not enjoyable.  not a lot of cherry.

GRGICH HILLS CHARDONNAY BARREL-AGED HIGH SOCIETY: not bad, but too much red wine character that   didn't go well with the relatively sweet beer.

APPLETON ESTATE BARREL-AGED CASHMERE: excellent.  complex.  just a little rum character that didn't interfere with the belgian yeast's contributions.  i could drink this all night long (slowly).

BRETTA WORLD PEACH: nice.  not certain i'd order a full pour of this, vs. everything else they have, but it's solid.

BJ batted .500 based on my non-representative sampling.  the homebrewers were in the 75% range based on the "want another taste of that" criteria.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4996 on: October 23, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »
Has anybody had Founders Dark Penis? Walky? My wife had some in Philly a couple of weeks ago, I'd rank it a tad below Uinta, Firestone Walker, and Stone for black ipa's.

Seems to be hitting the DC area shelves along with Breakfast Stout and Harvest Ale.

Backwood Bastard early Nov.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4997 on: October 23, 2014, 01:22:51 pm »
I wonder if that will leave a bad taste in your mouth?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4998 on: October 23, 2014, 09:02:34 pm »
Just found founders dark penance (damn good) and founders harvest ale.  Plus more dfh 120 minute for my collection.  I am done with commas. So there.

James Ford

« Reply #4999 on: October 23, 2014, 09:11:22 pm »
I picked up two bombers of Rodenbach Grand Cru for $11.99 each and two bottles of Founders Harvest Ale for $2.99 each.

How does that Rodenbach Grand Cru manage to be from Belgium and be half the price on an American sour in America?

Just found founders dark penance (damn good) and founders harvest ale.  Plus more dfh 120 minute for my collection.  I am done with commas. So there.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5000 on: October 24, 2014, 09:44:09 am »
I picked up two bombers of Rodenbach Grand Cru for $11.99 each and two bottles of Founders Harvest Ale for $2.99 each.

How does that Rodenbach Grand Cru manage to be from Belgium and be half the price on an American sour in America?

Every time I'm tempted to buy a bomber, I always step back to do the math and it never makes sense to me.  Buying a bomber for $11.99 is equivalent to buying a six-pack for $34.00.

« Reply #5001 on: October 24, 2014, 09:46:06 am »
Every time I'm tempted to buy a bomber, I always step back to do the math and it never makes sense to me.  Buying a bomber for $11.99 is equivalent to buying a six-pack for $34.00.
ack...now I know the math and can't go back!
but a lot of things in bombers are not available in 6packs and have much higher ABV
slack

Yada

« Reply #5002 on: October 24, 2014, 09:57:25 am »

which is why you shouldn't purchase a bomber of anything that's sold in six packs.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5003 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:25 am »
but a lot of things in bombers are not available in 6packs and have much higher ABV

An 11.5% bomber contains 2.92 ounces of ethanol -- at $11.99, that's $4.11 per ounce.
A 7.5% six-pack contains 5.40 ounces of ethanol -- at $7.99, that's $1.48 per ounce.

So the question becomes, is the flavor that you're paying so dearly for worth that much more, or is there something close to it that's a better value?

« Reply #5004 on: October 24, 2014, 10:05:36 am »

An 11.5% bomber contains 2.92 ounces of ethanol -- at $11.99, that's $4.11 per ounce.
A 7.5% six-pack contains 5.40 ounces of ethanol -- at $7.99, that's $1.48 per ounce.

So the question becomes, is the flavor that you're paying so dearly for worth that much more, or is there something close to it that's a better value?
Where are you getting six packs for $7.99.  Most decent 6packs cost $10-12 in NoVa
and what's with Ethanol, I'm not buying gasoline?
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #5005 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:00 am »

James Ford

« Reply #5006 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:37 am »
If you see Rodenbach Grand Cru in a six pack, please let me know. I don't think it comes in that format.

FWIW, it is a Belgian bomber, so more beer than the 22 oz American version.

But I'm with you, I almost always buy the six pack when there is a choice. The exception being if I was absolutely sure I didn't want six servings and only wanted one. Which would cost less overall.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #5007 on: October 24, 2014, 10:15:19 am »

A 7.5% six-pack contains 5.40 ounces of ethanol -- at $11.99, that's $2.22 per ounce.

James Ford

« Reply #5008 on: October 24, 2014, 10:15:45 am »
All of the regular Sierra Nevada six packs (Torpedo, Pale Ale, Flipside, etc) are $8.49/6 pack at Total Wine.

Where are you getting six packs for $7.99.  Most decent 6packs cost $10-12 in NoVa
and what's with Ethanol, I'm not buying gasoline?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #5009 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:17 am »
If you see Rodenbach Grand Cru in a six pack, please let me know. I don't think it comes in that format.

FWIW, it is a Belgian bomber, so more beer than the 22 oz American version.

But I'm with you, I almost always buy the six pack when there is a choice. The exception being if I was absolutely sure I didn't want six servings and only wanted one. Which would cost less overall.

Yep.  I assumed 750mL or 25.4 ounces.