Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243835 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7365 on: September 12, 2016, 02:50:03 pm »
Imma go out on a limb here and say that Waredaca is the nicest brewery in terms of environment/atmosphere that I've ever been to. It reminded me of more of a vineyard than a brewery. The kid friendliness was perfect, weather was gorgeous, beer was average at best out of the seven I tried. Peach Gose was delicious and would drink again, Coffee Stout was great as well... everything else was slightly better than a drain pour. Would return again.

Why is it going out on a limb? What other impressive breweries have you been to? Have you been to Manor Hill yet?

Kloster Andechs in Germany was one of my favorites. I'm not sure it was our five year olds' favorite, as it was a 6K round trip hike to get there. To watch her parents drink the best dopplebock in the world. (and partake in the festive beergarden atmosphere and food menu).

Now 9, She really did enjoy the Grand Teton Brewing Company, which we hit twice on our most recent vacation. Lot of kids, dog, even some people arriving by horse. Big outdoor lawn with this view (unfortunately no view of the actual Grand Tetons):

New Glarus was also pretty excellent to visit. But I went there by myself.

Yada

« Reply #7366 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:09 pm »
Why is it going out on a limb? What other impressive breweries have you been to? Have you been to Manor Hill yet?

Maybe "going out on a limb" wasn't the proper lingo in this scenario. I haven't been to many picturesque breweries, so maybe I'm not at the caliber of Space to compare it to others. I've been to Hill Farmstead, but shitty weather both times and I wouldn't want to take my family there.

I haven't been to Manor Hill, no interest in taking my kids there either and having to make a reservation.

Space Freely

« Reply #7367 on: September 12, 2016, 03:32:32 pm »

Maybe "going out on a limb" wasn't the proper lingo in this scenario. I haven't been to many picturesque breweries, so maybe I'm not at the caliber of Space to compare it to others. I've been to Hill Farmstead, but shitty weather both times and I wouldn't want to take my family there.

I haven't been to Manor Hill, no interest in taking my kids there either and having to make a reservation.

My kid is older than yours, so not really comparable, but I seem to remember mine liking it at Manor Hill, but I can't recall why. Maybe because she got to roam around, without acting like too much of an idiot. I think her two favorites have been Lagunitas and for some reason (maybe the dogs?) Ocelot. She hates Aslin.

I thought the reservation system at Manor Hill is a greet idea, as it keeps the crowds at a comfortably uncrowded level.

Yada

« Reply #7368 on: September 12, 2016, 03:36:13 pm »

My kid is older than yours, so not really comparable, but I seem to remember mine liking it at Manor Hill, but I can't recall why. Maybe because she got to roam around, without acting like too much of an idiot. I think her two favorites have been Lagunitas and for some reason (maybe the dogs?) Ocelot. She hates Aslin.

I thought the reservation system at Manor Hill is a greet idea, as it keeps the crowds at a comfortably uncrowded level.

At the current age, we seem to operate better in an outdoor environment. Note: the time we bumped into you indoors at Ocelot. Keeping our toddler still doesn't add to the allure of any brewery where we have to be in doors.

Space Freely

« Reply #7369 on: September 12, 2016, 04:15:43 pm »
Lickinghole Creek (in the country outside of Richmond) is another good outdoor brewery. We've only been once, but it was for their anniversary last year. The cornhole and the pick all you can (for free) pumpkin patch were a big hit with the kid. And the dogs. I mean all the dogs were a big hit with the kid. Not sure if any of the dogs really cared about the pumpkins and cornhole.

But I realize Virginia might as well be Siberia for you Maryland folks.  ;D

« Reply #7370 on: September 12, 2016, 04:25:57 pm »
How was penn druid...seems like its in a pastoral local
slack

Yada

« Reply #7371 on: September 12, 2016, 04:39:35 pm »
Lickinghole Creek (in the country outside of Richmond) is another good outdoor brewery. We've only been once, but it was for their anniversary last year. The cornhole and the pick all you can (for free) pumpkin patch were a big hit with the kid. And the dogs. I mean all the dogs were a big hit with the kid. Not sure if any of the dogs really cared about the pumpkins and cornhole.

But I realize Virginia might as well be Siberia for you Maryland folks.  ;D

Yeah, I can't dedicate much time to beer travels at my present day life and definitely can't head to Richmond for an afternoon to do it. I've been wanting to get out to Ocelot since the first time I've been there and still haven't made it back.

Would love to get out there... but... see above.

Space Freely

« Reply #7372 on: September 12, 2016, 04:58:14 pm »

Not as pastoral as one would hope, but all in all a decent experience. Indoors. Picnic table/communal setting. Enough room for a kid to wander and not bother people, unless it was really crowded. I guess they have tables outside but they're in the blazing sun with no view or anything. Beer is excellent. The loud-ish psych rock they play would impress some people on this board (even if it's not my thing, it's a welcome change to "safe" music most breweries play). The three brothers all friendly dudes.

« Reply #7373 on: September 14, 2016, 10:47:40 am »

Not as pastoral as one would hope, but all in all a decent experience. Indoors. Picnic table/communal setting. Enough room for a kid to wander and not bother people, unless it was really crowded. I guess they have tables outside but they're in the blazing sun with no view or anything. Beer is excellent. The loud-ish psych rock they play would impress some people on this board (even if it's not my thing, it's a welcome change to "safe" music most breweries play). The three brothers all friendly dudes.
Penn D just posted this shot on their FB

Looks pastoral to me?
Maybe that's not where the drinking is done
and Donkeys... Awesome!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7374 on: September 14, 2016, 11:06:15 am »
Here's one for fans of Wicked Weed who may not frequent the Beer Advocate forums....

Wicked Weed will also be at Smoke and Barrel on 9/14. 15 drafts. All 1/2 price from 5-7.

Genesis Blonde Sour with Mango, Guava, Papaya, Pineapple
 Recurrant Sour Red with Black Currants
 Garcon de Ferme Brettanomyces-fermented Saison with Peaches
 Myrtille Golden Sour with Blueberries
 Amorous Sour IPA
 Brettaberry Tart Farmhouse with Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries
 Pernicious West Coast IPA
 Freak of Nature Imperial IPA
 Napoleon Complex Hoppy Pale Ale
 Lunatic Belgian Blond Ale
 Coolcumber Golden Ale with Cucumbers, Juniper, and Basil
 Juiceless Wheat IPA collaboration with Creature Comforts
 Pacificmost Gose with Mango and Guava
 Xibalba Imperial Pumpkin brewed with Peppers, Cocoa, Spices
 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Xibalba

The beer gods smiled on us...back to school night appears to have been moved to a different night, allowing us to go to our daughter's favorite DC restaurant tonight...

Space Freely

« Reply #7375 on: September 14, 2016, 11:10:30 am »

Penn D just posted this shot on their FB

Looks pastoral to me?
Maybe that's not where the drinking is done
and Donkeys... Awesome!

I'm having trouble loading up their facebook page, but that's quite likely a photo from their family farm. This is the brewery.

« Reply #7376 on: September 14, 2016, 12:47:40 pm »
Here's one for fans of Wicked Weed who may not frequent the Beer Advocate forums....

The beer gods smiled on us...back to school night appears to have been moved to a different night, allowing us to go to our daughter's favorite DC restaurant tonight...
Funny...back to school night for mine is the reason I can't go to this tonight
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7377 on: September 14, 2016, 09:40:54 pm »

Funny...back to school night for mine is the reason I can't go to this tonight

Really good sours from Wicked Weed tonight. Though not quite in the same league as the Russian River Supplication I drank Tuesday night...

medeski7

« Reply #7378 on: September 15, 2016, 07:14:03 pm »
Went to The Veil yesterday and really enjoyed it.  I prefer the ipa coming from Aslin though.  I tried Crucial Taunt, Broz Night Out, Step Step Dad Dad, Toof Toof Ache Ache, Master Shredder and Personal Space.  Really enjoyed Step Step Dad Dad and Master Shredder.  Got there early enough to bring some home.  Will visit again.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7379 on: September 15, 2016, 07:59:58 pm »
Got there early enough to bring some home.

Is it roughly the same deal as Aslin in that you show up very early or you get nothing to take home?

I was planning to drive down but I'd hate to have nothing to sow for it.