Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2698103 times)

lily1

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #4605 on: November 16, 2012, 02:12:30 pm »
ash was great! such a tight and energetic set, and an appreciative crowd. good to see bags and kosmo (who i don't think i've seen in years!)

not totally lovin' dc9 though-staff were fine and actually really really friendly, but that space is borderline claustrophobic with that low ceiling and odd sightlines. the videoscreens are a distraction too. am i the only one that thought the floor might  go crashing down onto the first floor when the crowd was jumping up and down? dc9 reminds me of the old black cat and old 930 combined-and not in a good way. prefer rock and roll hotel (which i know many of you dislike, but i've had no issues there)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4606 on: November 16, 2012, 02:34:33 pm »
I am going to BSO tonight to see them play Brahms and Dvorak. Whomever they are.

they're no mumford or they'd be selling out arenas....

Of course, twenty years from now when the BSO is playing Brahms, Dvorak and Saint-Saëns, Jammin' Java will be featuring Mumford sans sons.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #4607 on: November 16, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »
The Meyerhoff is a great venue.  They should do more shows there.  I did see Aziz Ansari there which was cool but it would be a great venue for bands like Sigur Ros.  Much better than the Patriot center. 

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4608 on: November 16, 2012, 07:38:36 pm »
Ash was superb last night, not as transcendental as the return of James, but still epic.  In their 75 minute set they hit pretty much most of the high points from their 20 year career.   Key tracks from 1977 and Free All Angels, plus probably some of the more memorable tracks from the A to Z series.   

It would be great to see them next year with a second guitarist as some of the newer stuff needs it to properly fill out the sound.

the setlist

https://twitter.com/theprintedword/status/269473493802950656/photo/1
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #4609 on: November 19, 2012, 09:58:13 am »
I can't imagine a Bob Dylan/Mark Knopler bill coming anywhere near to filling up the seats in the Verizon CEnter.

hutch

« Reply #4610 on: November 19, 2012, 10:16:40 am »
I can't imagine a Bob Dylan/Mark Knopler bill coming anywhere near to filling up the seats in the Verizon CEnter.

oh its been strugglin to sell..

most of these arenas they've been playing across the country the've been tarping big areas... also been a lot of last minute specials on cheap tickets and upgrades..

azaghal1981

« Reply #4611 on: November 19, 2012, 10:37:50 am »
Magnetic Fields played roughly the same set as the show at the club earlier in 2012 but I enjoyed this show more. Mostly because I had a seat.
Some variation but not much. Too much 69 love songs; not as much creativity in the set selection as I would have liked. Still, great fun show.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #4612 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:53 pm »
Metz kicked ASS
oword

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4613 on: November 19, 2012, 01:48:05 pm »
I'm in for Dylan.

The last time I saw him at Verizon I was surprised that it seemed to be close to sold out.  That was over 10 years ago though - and I don't recall the decent seats costing $150 (after fees.)

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #4614 on: November 19, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »
Magnetic Fields played roughly the same set as the show at the club earlier in 2012 but I enjoyed this show more. Mostly because I had a seat.
Some variation but not much. Too much 69 love songs; not as much creativity in the set selection as I would have liked. Still, great fun show.

I didn't go to the club show earlier this year (actually, I haven't seen them since the 2002 two-day 69LS show in NYC), so I actually liked this set-- but was surprised at how much 69LS they played (not terribly surprised, though, about which ones they chose).  Were you at the Saturday show or the Sunday one?  I was at Sunday's.  The banter between Claudia and Stephen remains one of the most charming parts of a TMF performance.

Bagley

« Reply #4615 on: November 19, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »
Dark Star Orchestra Wednesday @ Penn's Peak 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4616 on: November 19, 2012, 02:31:24 pm »
I'm in for Dylan.

The last time I saw him at Verizon I was surprised that it seemed to be close to sold out.  That was over 10 years ago though - and I don't recall the decent seats costing $150 (after fees.)

really want to go, and i really want a good seat . . . but those prices make even me wince, which i rarely complain about prices.  except for the stones and lada gaga.  i mean, really?

atomicfront

« Reply #4617 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:13 pm »
I'm in for Dylan.

really want to go, and i really want a good seat . . . but those prices make even me wince, which i rarely complain about prices.  except for the stones and lada gaga.  i mean, really?

It is funny how the most expensive tickets are for bands that are way past the point of me wanting to see them.  Like 40+ years past their prime.  Well except of course Lada Gaga.   It is like the worse a band becomes the higher their ticket prices. 

Also I can't imagine seeing a band at verizon center.  I saw a couple of shows back at the capital center in the 70's and they were in no way enjoyable.  Too big. 

James Ford

« Reply #4618 on: November 19, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »
Man, you are trying SOOOOO hard to be cool and hip and with it and not 47.

I'm in for Dylan.

It is funny how the most expensive tickets are for bands that are way past the point of me wanting to see them. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #4619 on: November 19, 2012, 03:40:02 pm »
Lol, who wants to see Bob Dylan, right guys?
‼‼?‼‼