Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243913 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3975 on: December 12, 2013, 07:51:43 pm »
Well, not really. But if you're happy with your purchase, that's the only logic that really matters.

I generally only buy growlers of stuff that isn't sold in bottles. Unless the growler price is excellent and I can't find a bottle of it. For example, Founders Sweet Repute sold for about $19 for a 26 oz bottle, I got it on draft at $14 for 32 oz.

And I generally limit myself to 32 oz growler fills since the product starts to degrade the minute you open it. Even 32 ozs is a stretch on the high abv beers.

Bottom line, if I can get it in a bottle, that's what I'm choosing. If I can't, the price has to be pretty sweet. What is pretty sweet? I know it when I see it. $16 for a Three Stars beer isn't sweet (in part because anything after 32 oz, the value declines for me).

According to Jimmy Fordish logic though, a 32oz growler of Three Stars would actually be a great deal!

:o :o :o :o

I didn't buy one.

James Ford

« Reply #3976 on: December 14, 2013, 03:41:35 pm »
I was just shopping at Whole Foods and voila...there was Lagunitas Sucks. $10.99/ six pack (will probablt be a dollar less at TW). At half the price of Hopslam, I'll be drinking the hell out of this (unless I score some Zombie Dust when I'm at Three Floyds next week) the next couple of months. They keep threatening to make it a 32 oz year round bottle, but you can't beat the budget six pack format.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3977 on: December 14, 2013, 05:04:47 pm »
must not . . . give in.  had lunch at a quaint little cafe today, in a neat town called woodstock, va, that sells finer things and sells beer.  they had sucks and st bernardus christmas ale.  ughhh.

i am gay and i like cats

Yada

« Reply #3979 on: December 14, 2013, 06:05:25 pm »
why did you quit drinking beer?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3980 on: December 14, 2013, 08:33:22 pm »
to force myself to change.  i felt i was drinking too much and i wanted to make sure i am not an alcoholic.  it runs in my family.  i quit drinking all alcohol, period.

hutch

« Reply #3981 on: December 14, 2013, 09:16:31 pm »
to force myself to change.  i felt i was drinking too much and i wanted to make sure i am not an alcoholic.  it runs in my family.  i quit drinking all alcohol, period.

hm.. interesting... if its not too private how many weeks have you gone? and when you quit did you have any symptons of needing the alcohol or did you quit and it was like nothing.....

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3982 on: December 14, 2013, 11:12:39 pm »
being too personal . . . is my speciality.  i am odd.  but you know that.  when i quit smoking pot, i just quit.  no problems, no qualms.  years and years of doing it, and i just quit.  because i felt it was time to "grow up."  i know this is not the norm, but i feel my mind is a steel trap of mind over matter.  what my mind wants, does not matter.  the same could be said with alcohol.  to be more honest,  i scared myself one day . . . no actually during two days.  my drinking, on a normal everyday intake became like something you see on an old television episode where the person is drinking everything in the house without being able to stop.  during those two days in question, i drank like someone with a problem.  i could not stop and i did not want to.  i remember driving to a store, twenty minutes from where i live, intoxicated, more than likely reeking of alcohol, to get more of that precious beer.  i did not care.  i wanted that escape.  i saw it.  i saw it happen from the first, second and third perspective and i was altered.  who was this person i could become.  i scared myself more than i have ever been.  that was three months ago.  i told myself that very next day, you will quit drinking . . . or you will kill yoursef.  plain and simple.  put a gun to your head and kill yourself.  i became a mission.  i became a cause.  i knew that it ran in my family, and i knew it wanted me next.  but i am a strong minded human who believes i can do anything i want to in this section of life we are given on the planet earth.  use it wisely i tell myself.  use it well.  i am very proud of myself that i did what i did, and am equally proud that i so easily admit such things on a forum to complete strangers.  i know that not all people can just do what i did, even if they do believe that they have a "problem" as well.  i do not miss it, and i do not judge others that drink, for i simply tell myself . . . remember those two days.   

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3983 on: December 15, 2013, 12:10:22 am »

very cool.  takes power to do that.  congrats.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3984 on: December 15, 2013, 12:59:40 pm »
Definitely congrats Walkie.. if you felt yourself losing control best to stop and reassert yourself..

it can be hard to stop drinking alltogether because there are all these things that become linked with alcohol: hanging out with friends at a bar, going to concerts, celebratory toasts, eating a good steak, buffalo wings, etc... and that's the good part... the bad part, I think Hemingway does a good job of depicting it in the Sun Also Rises, "getting tight" or just needing a drink...

my body actually craves cigs far far more intensely...

For me, being on a tighter budget and with two young kids, its becoming harder to justify drinking particularly with the rising cost of it...I'm a bit of a glutton so I'm never going to be splitting a beer with somebody a la James Fordish...I'm going to pound back a few and it adds up...I suppose one could argue that the problem then isn't the alcohol but a lack of money...noted.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:04:51 pm by hutch »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3985 on: December 15, 2013, 02:58:39 pm »
whether i had a "real problem" or not is up for debate, but at this point i am enjoying the mental capacity it takes to drink water as my only liquid intake.  and yes, with the fact that pot and fancy pants beers are out of my life, i do save a lot of money. 

hugs . . . not drugs.

James Ford

« Reply #3986 on: December 15, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
What are you doing with all the extra money?

whether i had a "real problem" or not is up for debate, but at this point i am enjoying the mental capacity it takes to drink water as my only liquid intake.  and yes, with the fact that pot and fancy pants beers are out of my life, i do save a lot of money. 

hugs . . . not drugs.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3987 on: December 15, 2013, 03:31:26 pm »
trips, cars, jewels, hookers, making it rain, gold chains, gold bars, gold cars, gold hookers.

just kidding . . . paying off bills, and getting published, is expensive nowadays.

James Ford

« Reply #3988 on: December 15, 2013, 03:48:49 pm »
So what do you do when you go to an xmas party hosted by (wife's co-worker) someone who claims to be into beer and all they have on offer is a Magic Hat variety pack, some Sam Adams varieties, and some crappy German lager (Warsteiner). Does one drink the (superior) beer that one brought to the party, or is it rude not to drink the host's beer?

And how could someone claims to be into beer have such crap (and only crap) on offer?  The guy probably makes well into the six figures, so it's not like he has to be cheap, so that's not the reason for that selection. It's almost like you could walk into any decent beer store, and blindly grab four random six packs,  and come out with a better selection. It's almost like you'd have to purposely seek out the crap.

And yes, I was a graceful and gracious and polite and thankful guest (even though we had to eat only the food we brought because everyone else including the host brought meat dishes)...but i can bitch about the beer here, right?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:52:24 pm by James Ford »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3989 on: December 15, 2013, 03:53:11 pm »
the one thing that always pissed me off about beer . . . was people who think all those beers you just named are "craft beers."  i would always bring my own beer to said functions, or any function.  such a move serves two purposes:  a, you drink the beer you want to, and b, you can turn on other people to what real beer is.  dont be suprised if atleast one person thinks you are a fucking snob and thinks you are a stuck up rich cunt.  oh shit, i said cunt.