Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243876 times)

hutch

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3990 on: December 15, 2013, 05:29:16 pm »
Definitely rude to insist on drinking what one brings... one should give the beer to the host and then if the host decides to share it one can drink it...

The beer one brings is a gift... maybe the host wants to enjoy it the next day? or save it?

The only way to get around this is to bring two offerings and then if one tactfully says "hey do you mind opening this as I'd like to check it out..have heard great things..."

That way the host will still have a beer offering to save... a gift

To just walk in there and be like "hey i dont' give a shit what you offer i am bringing this and expect to drink it now" is rather gauche

On the other hand we've probably all done it on ocassion..

at least that is the way I see it..

stevewizzle

« Reply #3991 on: December 15, 2013, 05:48:54 pm »
being too personal . . . is my speciality.  i am odd.  but you know that.  when i quit smoking pot, i just quit.  no problems, no qualms.  years and years of doing it, and i just quit.  because i felt it was time to "grow up."  i know this is not the norm, but i feel my mind is a steel trap of mind over matter.  what my mind wants, does not matter.  the same could be said with alcohol.  to be more honest,  i scared myself one day . . . no actually during two days.  my drinking, on a normal everyday intake became like something you see on an old television episode where the person is drinking everything in the house without being able to stop.  during those two days in question, i drank like someone with a problem.  i could not stop and i did not want to.  i remember driving to a store, twenty minutes from where i live, intoxicated, more than likely reeking of alcohol, to get more of that precious beer.  i did not care.  i wanted that escape.  i saw it.  i saw it happen from the first, second and third perspective and i was altered.  who was this person i could become.  i scared myself more than i have ever been.  that was three months ago.  i told myself that very next day, you will quit drinking . . . or you will kill yoursef.  plain and simple.  put a gun to your head and kill yourself.  i became a mission.  i became a cause.  i knew that it ran in my family, and i knew it wanted me next.  but i am a strong minded human who believes i can do anything i want to in this section of life we are given on the planet earth.  use it wisely i tell myself.  use it well.  i am very proud of myself that i did what i did, and am equally proud that i so easily admit such things on a forum to complete strangers.  i know that not all people can just do what i did, even if they do believe that they have a "problem" as well.  i do not miss it, and i do not judge others that drink, for i simply tell myself . . . remember those two days.   

you rock man. good for you.

James Ford

« Reply #3992 on: December 15, 2013, 06:09:57 pm »
For the record, the host DID decide the share it. He said "Here, you can have some of what you you brought, or some of what I put out." And I did drink oneof his beers. (And none of the beer guests even brought beer.)

Definitely rude to insist on drinking what one brings... one should give the beer to the host and then if the host decides to share it one can drink it...

The beer one brings is a gift... maybe the host wants to enjoy it the next day? or save it?

The only way to get around this is to bring two offerings and then if one tactfully says "hey do you mind opening this as I'd like to check it out..have heard great things..."

That way the host will still have a beer offering to save... a gift

To just walk in there and be like "hey i dont' give a shit what you offer i am bringing this and expect to drink it now" is rather gauche

On the other hand we've probably all done it on ocassion..

at least that is the way I see it..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:15:51 pm by James Ford »

hutch

« Reply #3993 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:35 pm »
For the record, the host DID decide the share it. He said "Here, you can have some of what you you brought, or some of what I put out." And I did drink oneof his beers. (And none of the beer guests even brought beer.)

yeah i think a good host would offer.....

"beer guests"?

;D

Yada

« Reply #3994 on: December 15, 2013, 08:20:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure we've debated this in the past on here, but bring enough so you don't feel like a weasel drinking what you brought. I'm hoping you brought more than 24 oz of beer to the party...

I attended a holiday party last night and brought:

Two Heady Toppers
Two OTWOA
Two Breakfast Stouts
Two Oracles
Two Bell's Stoudts
Two Boulevard Doulbe Wide IPA's
Two All Day IPAs
Two Fat Tires

James Ford

« Reply #3995 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:22 pm »
We brought a mixed six pack (two Uinta Dubh, two Sierra Celebration, two Flying Dog the Truth)) and a bomber of 2012 Trader Joe's Vintage Ale. Definitely more than we intended on drinking in a three hour party. Maybe a dozen adults there and most were drinking a glass or two of red wine....nobody drank any of the beer we brought (except us).

(
I'm pretty sure we've debated this in the past on here, but bring enough so you don't feel like a weasel drinking what you brought. I'm hoping you brought more than 24 oz of beer to the party...

I attended a holiday party last night and brought:

Two Heady Toppers
Two OTWOA
Two Breakfast Stouts
Two Oracles
Two Bell's Stoudts
Two Boulevard Doulbe Wide IPA's
Two All Day IPAs
Two Fat Tires

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:13:07 pm by James Ford »

hutch

« Reply #3996 on: December 15, 2013, 09:46:12 pm »
We brought a mixed six pack (two Uinta Dubh, two Sierra Celebration, two Flying Dog the Truth)) and a bomber of 2012 Trader Joe's Vintage Ale. Definitely more than we intended on drinking in a three hour party. Maybe a dozen adults there and most were drinking a glass or two of red wine....nobody drank any of the beer we brought (except us).

wow... nicely done.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3997 on: December 15, 2013, 10:24:40 pm »
So what do you do when you go to an xmas party hosted by (wife's co-worker) someone who claims to be into beer and all they have on offer is a Magic Hat variety pack, some Sam Adams varieties, and some crappy German lager (Warsteiner). Does one drink the (superior) beer that one brought to the party, or is it rude not to drink the host's beer?

to be devil's advocate for a second: MH & SA are craft bers.  it shows some appreciation of taste - at least he didn't offer you Bud Platinum as his "fancy beer."

i'd be disappointed by that selection too, and i'd question how "into beer" this person is.  however, some perspective is called for.  realize what 90% of the population is drinking.  Ford, you're part of the 1%.  getting stuck in that middle 9%... could be worse.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3998 on: December 16, 2013, 08:13:16 am »
Point taken, sort of...

Except I would say...fiftysomething PHD scientist no doubt making well into the six figures holds a small Christmas party for about a dozen people including the company president...assuming he has no taste in beer, no way is he serving Bud Platinum...he's without a doubt serving Stella.  ;D

So what do you do when you go to an xmas party hosted by (wife's co-worker) someone who claims to be into beer and all they have on offer is a Magic Hat variety pack, some Sam Adams varieties, and some crappy German lager (Warsteiner). Does one drink the (superior) beer that one brought to the party, or is it rude not to drink the host's beer?

to be devil's advocate for a second: MH & SA are craft bers.  it shows some appreciation of taste - at least he didn't offer you Bud Platinum as his "fancy beer."

i'd be disappointed by that selection too, and i'd question how "into beer" this person is.  however, some perspective is called for.  realize what 90% of the population is drinking.  Ford, you're part of the 1%.  getting stuck in that middle 9%... could be worse.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3999 on: December 16, 2013, 11:41:58 am »
in preparation for heading home for the holidays... my parents went out to treehouse brewing for the first time this weekend to score some growlers of sap and green. it's a christmas miracle.

Yada

« Reply #4000 on: December 16, 2013, 03:24:16 pm »
being too personal . . . is my speciality.  i am odd.  but you know that.  when i quit smoking pot, i just quit.  no problems, no qualms.  years and years of doing it, and i just quit.  because i felt it was time to "grow up."  i know this is not the norm, but i feel my mind is a steel trap of mind over matter.  what my mind wants, does not matter.  the same could be said with alcohol.  to be more honest,  i scared myself one day . . . no actually during two days.  my drinking, on a normal everyday intake became like something you see on an old television episode where the person is drinking everything in the house without being able to stop.  during those two days in question, i drank like someone with a problem.  i could not stop and i did not want to.  i remember driving to a store, twenty minutes from where i live, intoxicated, more than likely reeking of alcohol, to get more of that precious beer.  i did not care.  i wanted that escape.  i saw it.  i saw it happen from the first, second and third perspective and i was altered.  who was this person i could become.  i scared myself more than i have ever been.  that was three months ago.  i told myself that very next day, you will quit drinking . . . or you will kill yoursef.  plain and simple.  put a gun to your head and kill yourself.  i became a mission.  i became a cause.  i knew that it ran in my family, and i knew it wanted me next.  but i am a strong minded human who believes i can do anything i want to in this section of life we are given on the planet earth.  use it wisely i tell myself.  use it well.  i am very proud of myself that i did what i did, and am equally proud that i so easily admit such things on a forum to complete strangers.  i know that not all people can just do what i did, even if they do believe that they have a "problem" as well.  i do not miss it, and i do not judge others that drink, for i simply tell myself . . . remember those two days.   

is this a free writing sample walky?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4001 on: December 16, 2013, 03:26:41 pm »
yes, no charge.  one day, i hope, ill be good enough to make a buck.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4002 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:57 am »
if i still drank . . . i would play this

http://imgur.com/yFjEMdc

oh, those crazy canadians.

Yada

« Reply #4003 on: December 17, 2013, 02:32:49 pm »
Ocelot, Ocelot, where has Walky gone?

http://ocelotbrewing.com/

James Ford

« Reply #4004 on: December 18, 2013, 12:03:31 am »
Fairfax Whole Foods does it again...probably a good deal cheaper than other Goose Island tap takeovers! And no, I don't work for Goose Island.

THIRSTY THURSDAY!!! Seems like everyone is doing a Goose Island tap takeover, so we are too! Come by this Thursday starting at 5, say 'hi' to Rhett from Goose Island, snag some schwag, and maybe have a beer or two! So far the line-up includes BCBS Coffee, BCBBW, (no regular BCBS because I already tapped those 2 weeks ago and forgot to save one. Oops.) Matilda, Sofie, Naughty Goose, The Illinois, Honkers, IPA and 312. Whew.