Author Topic: Fillmore SS Shows  (Read 127280 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Fillmore SS Shows
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2011, 03:59:08 pm »
Actually I was dead on. Read Seth's reply.

you complained that no one was booking spanish language acts.  seth said that they never contacted him, unlike other bands out there.  help me out here - how were you "dead on"? 

to me, this did somewhat prove your lack of knowledge of the music business: at no point did you mention that this might be the band's fault (or their management's).  IMO the way you pointed out that other venues book spanish acts and they sell really well, while the 930 doesn't, seemed to imply your belief in something sinister - conspiracy, lack of respect, racism, etc. (that last bit is purely my interpretation of your words).
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2011, 04:38:26 pm »
Did anyone go to the open house at The Fillmore last night?   What did you think?

hutch

« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2011, 05:59:38 pm »
for sweetcell the douche WHO NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO READ.. AND WHY THE ANGER BRO?  ;D

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »

[/quote]

And I didn']t say it was an injustice of a conspiracy did I? Why you trying to start someting? bored or something?

Its just people who don't quite understand the Latin music market/demographic or know how to reach out the community. Is that so startling?

[/quote]

Seth's reply- again for Sweetcell the douche:

"but, yes, I know zero about Rock en Espanol and haven't really had a necessity to learn, as our calendar is pretty full with stuff that we do know

we do check out every availability we get, and I certainly would never dismiss any genre out of hand, unless I do know the act and think they suck...and, of course, we even book some of those if I think it fits 930 and people want to see them

but the fact is that nobody ever calls us about this stuff

that all being said, I will check out the suggestions, and appreciate everyone pointing us in that direction"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:05:12 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2011, 06:11:46 pm »
Bottom line is the 930/IMP should learn a bit about the Latin rock music and try to book a few shows in that segment..

I'm confident they'll do that.. Lack of knowledge of the market is no excuse.. IMP can learn about it and reach out/develop/deepen relations in this growing segment..

Like I said I'm sure they will...Heck Seth said he appreciated the suggestions and would look into it!

Sweetcell tries to say I'm saying there is some conspiracy (like what? That they are racist?) by putting words in my mouth - purely his interpretation as he says (DOUCHE)..\

Is it frustrating for latin rock fans that a lot of these acts aren't playing DC- not so much because the market isnt here- but more because there is market failure.. you bet. Manu Chao is only the latest example.. I could be wrong but I think he was even in DC last week at NPR but no DC show.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:13:39 pm by hutch »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
i'm not mad.  i am trying to have a discussion but possibly i'm attempting to do so with the wrong person. 

i am also intrigued by your sense of entitlement:

Bottom line is the 930/IMP should learn a bit about the Latin rock music and try to book a few shows in that segment..

it's not their job to learn about latin music, or any other music - as seth pointed out, more than enough people come to him.  if those bands want to play the 930, they need to make the first move.  the 930 doesn't book opera either but it's very popular and sells well at other venues.

the alternative, which you are attempting, is to get the management's attention and request artists.  good idea, and seth appreciated the suggestion, but this will have a lower chance of success IMO.  the club already gets a lot of offers - but you're asking them to put aside what they know and what they have worked with in the past, in order to research a new market and start making new contacts?  might happen but i wouldn't bet on it.

you still haven't shown how you were "dead on" (yet you say i should learn to read... nice one).

and thanks for the name-calling.  definitely bolsters your argument.
<sig>

slappy

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2011, 08:14:48 pm »
Actually I was dead on. Read Seth's reply.

you complained that no one was booking spanish language acts.  seth said that they never contacted him, unlike other bands out there.  help me out here - how were you "dead on"? 

to me, this did somewhat prove your lack of knowledge of the music business: at no point did you mention that this might be the band's fault (or their management's).  IMO the way you pointed out that other venues book spanish acts and they sell really well, while the 930 doesn't, seemed to imply your belief in something sinister - conspiracy, lack of respect, racism, etc. (that last bit is purely my interpretation of your words).

+1 to above.
Also...
ATERCIOPELADOS 10/6 at State Theater
JULIETA VENEGAS 11/09 at State Theater

Maybe MN8 is happy booking at the State Theater?

notme

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2011, 08:46:34 pm »
i thought the open house was today 9/13.  but you had to go to the fillmore on 9/10 to get tickets to go to the open house on 9/13.  and those tickets were all given away on 9/10.  nothing is ever easy.

Yada

« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2011, 09:28:49 am »
WHO THE FUCK CARES ABOUT LATIN ROCK???

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:33:05 am by Yada »

James Ford

« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:48 am »
I didn't go, but I will say that it sucked.

:D
Did anyone go to the open house at The Fillmore last night?   What did you think?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44:08 am »
i thought the open house was today 9/13.  but you had to go to the fillmore on 9/10 to get tickets to go to the open house on 9/13.  and those tickets were all given away on 9/10.  nothing is ever easy.

hmmm - They may have done both.  The one I was thinking of was definitely on Monday, with tickets given out Monday at noon.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=256959681003985

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2011, 10:31:58 am »

i do, depending on the act.  i've seen some great performances by Mana, Manu Chao and Cafe Tacuba.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2011, 10:56:47 am »
whats the difference between the $40 and $50 tickets?

i'm assuming floor vs. balcony.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:13 am »

i do, depending on the act.  i've seen some great performances by Mana, Manu Chao and Cafe Tacuba.

Mana? Thats funny..

Its fine if people think the 930 is a rental facility with no obligation to book/seek diverse acts that reflect the city they are in...

Per Seth's post I'll just send him my suggestions and links to artist management were available.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:29:16 am by hutch »

slappy

« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2011, 11:35:28 am »
I hate to ruin some folks' fairyland perception of the music biz, but a support act is booked to sell tickets

playing the next night for less kind of defeats the purpose

IT IS A BUSINESS

THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS

BABIES COME FROM THE STORK

well, at least that's how that last one was explained to me

hutch

« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2011, 11:40:04 am »
I hate to ruin some folks' fairyland perception of the music biz, but a support act is booked to sell tickets

playing the next night for less kind of defeats the purpose

IT IS A BUSINESS

THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS

BABIES COME FROM THE STORK

well, at least that's how that last one was explained to me

Half the people posting on this thread aren't actually reading the comments.. there's money to be made in Latin Rock..

The idea that booking Latin Rock would be some sort of charity act is insulting..

In fact many of the comments on this thread are insulting..  the comment by Yada about who cares about Latin Rock... the burrito coment..

Its not terribly suprising but sad.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:42:21 am by hutch »