Author Topic: Fillmore SS Shows  (Read 126881 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Fillmore SS Shows
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:12:22 am »
So the first Fillmore Silver Spring shows have been announced - http://www.fillmoresilverspring.com/

That deserves a big giant meh. 

Any ideas on who could be playing Sept 21 and 22?

wml7

Re: Fillmore SS Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:46 am »
Kenny Loggins and Michael Bolton  ;D

mdh9857

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:04 am »
They basically went "Who played at Wolf Trap/ the Birchmere this summer that we can book again in the Fall?"

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:29:49 am »
What!?!  You mean the Mountain Goats won't be playing there anytime soon?  :P

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:37:33 pm »
i wonder if i can get shot, see crack vials in the streets, or have my car windows busted out when i park at the new fillmore?  i wonder how much a shitty tasting beer from tap will cost there? 

hutch

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:43:02 pm »
the lineup is respectable actually.. i mean check your hatred for LNTicketbastard at the door and think about it;

Cheap Trick, Primus, Blondie, Black Star, Mary J Blige, Thorogood, Psychedelic Furs/TOM tom club

its just not bands that are "hip"..there is also the promise of "Rock en Espanol" shows which is something sorely needed and virtually ignored by IMP

to me it looks like the venue is going to be putting on CLUB shows by bands that often times don't do club shows in the DC area... thats great news to the concert consumer if not the IMP cheerleader.

Mobius

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:45:42 pm »
Train

Surprise! At the Fillmore!  Reba

Love Seed Mama Jump

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:53:22 pm by Mobius »

hutch

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 12:47:47 pm »
also Lewis Black sells out multi night stands at the Warner Theatre regularly...

so its going to draw...

MonkeyPants

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:02 pm »
Mary J tix are $100.50 with fees
PANTS

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 01:04:50 pm »

hutch

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:22:58 pm »
i guess someone has to pay for all the Live Nation execs, Montgomery County pols, etc...

Mobius

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:28:44 pm »

to me it looks like the venue is going to be putting on CLUB shows by bands that often times don't do club shows in the DC area... thats great news to the concert consumer if not the IMP cheerleader.

People don't fundamentally dislike this place because they are "IMP Cheerleaders".  People aren't attacking the Black Cat or the Birchmere.  A music club should reflect the character of the community.  It should have a soul.  A personality.  People are just calling bullshit.  This place is a strictly corporate entity, with no soul, and is an insult to the community. . .a community that is making progress towards some personality (AFI Silver, Ray's the Classics) but still mired in faceless chain franchise crappiness.  Don't confuse advocating businesses that reflect, enhance and promote community and personality with 'hipsterism' or cheerleading.

And to your other point, if you were alive in the past 5 years you probably could have seen nearly all those bands play a local club show.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »
Primus on a Saturday? Sounds like a party to me.
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 01:38:31 pm »
I can't count how many times I've seen a band at the 9:30 Club say "this is the best club in the country" or "this is our favorite place to play" or "you guys are so lucky to have the 9:30 Club". That's not going to change just because a new venue opens up. I'm not intrigued by much of what I see announced at Fillmore SS. I was concerned when Ram's Head opened up (and for a while they did get a LOT of good shows that the 9:30 didn't get), but the 9:30 still is a jewel that bands will go out of their way to book if they can get it. How many times have you seen a band play at a House of Blues that said, "MAN, we LOVE playing here!"? Please. Corporate venues are lame.

hutch

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »

People don't fundamentally dislike this place because they are "IMP Cheerleaders".  People aren't attacking the Black Cat or the Birchmere.  A music club should reflect the character of the community.  It should have a soul.  A personality.  People are just calling bullshit.  This place is a strictly corporate entity, with no soul, and is an insult to the community. . .a community that is making progress towards some personality (AFI Silver, Ray's the Classics) but still mired in faceless chain franchise crappiness.  Don't confuse advocating businesses that reflect, enhance and promote community and personality with 'hipsterism' or cheerleading.

And to your other point, if you were alive in the past 5 years you probably could have seen nearly all those bands play a local club show.

I fundamentally disagree with you. Of course Live Nation blows as a company but do you think my friend Enrique who is a huge music maniac and lives 10 blocks from the venue and loves Cheap Trick, enough to have driven up to Baltimore at Ramshead, isn't going to get pleasure out of seeing Cheap Trick in his backyard?

You are holding this venue to an impossible standard before it even began... remember if you read the statements from the GM she specifically cites a desire to reflect the community etc..  remember that the 930/imp has barely put on ANY latin music in an area where the hispanic community is sizable (I have written about it in the Hey Seth thread to no avail).. AND remember that the Warner Theatre which IS a LIVE NATION venue reflects the DC community arguably far more than the 930 does (all those urban theatre plays)..

Its poppycock to prejudge it as a bad thing.. in the end its a club to see music..

And people do talk shit about the Birchmere all the time on this board FYI.