Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2689723 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3330 on: September 26, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »
It was an okay Wilco show. I was disappointed with the setlist (felt like a greatest hits set due to the NPR stream) but the new songs fit in really well, and they played a decent number of older songs.

Still, for a set that seemed to lean towards the kind of crowd a pavilion show will draw in, they rocked it. I feel a bit wrong complaining about hearing songs like A Shot In The Arm or I'm The Man Who Loves You, I'm just comparing last night's setlist to the 2009 Lyric Opera House and 2010 National shows, which had ridiculously deep setlists.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3331 on: September 26, 2011, 01:37:39 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed Wilco.  My wife, who is completely unfamiliar with them, thought they were wonderful.

We did the gatecrashers thing, too.  It was ok - could potentially be a great thing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3332 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:11 pm »
We did the gatecrashers thing, too.  It was ok - could potentially be a great thing.

what is this gatecrashers thing?  did you actually jump the fence?!?
<sig>

Bags

« Reply #3333 on: September 26, 2011, 02:45:19 pm »
X on Wednesday...kind of funny that we'll sit through a 90 minute documentary, THEN the band will come out and play "Los Angeles," but should be good.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3334 on: September 26, 2011, 03:16:00 pm »
screw the birchmere and its high prices.
(_|_)

vansmack

« Reply #3335 on: September 26, 2011, 04:16:52 pm »
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3336 on: September 26, 2011, 04:19:48 pm »
I thoroughly enjoyed Wilco.  My wife, who is completely unfamiliar with them, thought they were wonderful.

How can you be completely unfamiliar with Wilco? Is she from some other planet?!  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3337 on: September 26, 2011, 05:49:47 pm »
How can you be completely unfamiliar with Wilco? Is she from some other planet?!  ;D

is your head so far up your hipsterism that you don't realize that wilco isn't mainstream?  they do not have any top-40 hits, they're not on popular radio.  they aren't in any iconic commercials and if they've ever been featured as background music in popular tv show, i've never heard of it.  there is little reason why the average person, with average music taste/exposure, would be familiar with wilco.

i'm willing to bet that a random sampling would show that less than a quarter of the US population have ever heard of wilco.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3338 on: September 26, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »
100% my fault, though.

Even tried the Norah Jones connection.  Didn't sink in.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3339 on: September 26, 2011, 07:38:04 pm »

what is this gatecrashers thing?  did you actually jump the fence?!?

Nah.  That would have been fun, though.

Early entrance with a bribe of free food and $4 Bud cans.  We had pavilion tix so early entry meant nothing.  Just too lazy to bring the tailgate with us and were curious about it.

vansmack

« Reply #3340 on: September 26, 2011, 07:40:46 pm »
they do not have any top-40 hits

Outtasite (outta mind) peaked at #22 on the Mainstream Rock charts in 1997
You Never Know was #40 on the rock charts in 2009.

they aren't in any iconic commercials

Volkswagen.
Volkswagen
Volkswagen

and if they've ever been featured as background music in popular tv show, i've never heard of it.

Heroes.

i'm willing to bet that a random sampling would show that less than a quarter of the US population have ever heard of wilco.

That's being very generous.  There's no way 78 million Americans have heard of Wilco.  7.8 million is a closer bet.

All this being said, my mom loves them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:44:51 pm by vansmack »
27>34

hutch

« Reply #3341 on: September 26, 2011, 07:54:18 pm »

is your head so far up your hipsterism that you don't realize that wilco isn't mainstream?  they do not have any top-40 hits, they're not on popular radio.  they aren't in any iconic commercials and if they've ever been featured as background music in popular tv show, i've never heard of it.  there is little reason why the average person, with average music taste/exposure, would be familiar with wilco.

hey bud i'm the ANTI-hipster!   ;D

there's actually nothing hip about wilco these days.....

but yeah its strange that a person in the 30-40 age group would not know who wilco is.. they've been written up in pretty much every magazine/newspaper in the country repeatedly..

hutch

« Reply #3342 on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:41 pm »
Wilco is definitely mainstream as far as music goes. Their album will probably debut in the top 10 and their last one I think was in the top five!

Having said that at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with not knowing who they are... my statement was not pejorative.. I was just surprised! :)

I myself loved Wilco in the 90s..this is a different band now and they are very tight live but their studio work is not really all that in my opinion.

One of my favorite shows remains November 16, 1999 at the 930 club..must of been around when Summerteeth came out (still my favorite) ...Old 97s opened and blew the roof off the place... at the time there was no divider between the stage and the crowd...me and 10 friends were up by front left using the stage as our party table leaving our beer bottles up there.. it was a low stage at the time... then Wilco came out and held their own.... what a great show.. I've seen other people mention this show as a winner also...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:15:20 pm by hutch »

James Ford

« Reply #3343 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »
I agree about them being mainstream. I can think of only one person in the 30-40 age range I've encountered who hadn't at least heard of Wilco, and she just seems like someone who is not into music or pop culture at all.

That Wilco/Old 97's show you mention may very well be the best double bill show  i've ever seen.

Wilco is definitely mainstream as far as music goes. Their album will probably debut in the top 10 and their last one I think was in the top five!

Having said that at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with not knowing who they are... my statement was not pejorative.. I was just surprised! :)

I myself loved Wilco in the 90s..this is a different band now and they are very tight live but their studio work is not really all that in my opinion.

One of my favorite shows remains November 16, 1999 at the 930 club..must of been around when Summerteeth came out (still my favorite) ...Old 97s opened and blew the roof off the place... at the time there was no divider between the stage and the crowd...me and 10 friends were up by front left using the stage as our party table leaving our beer bottles up there.. it was a low stage at the time... then Wilco came out and held their own.... what a great show.. I've seen other people mention this show as a winner also...

James Ford

« Reply #3344 on: September 27, 2011, 06:47:01 pm »
Watch your plate Birchmere patrons, Exene's in da house.

X on Wednesday...kind of funny that we'll sit through a 90 minute documentary, THEN the band will come out and play "Los Angeles," but should be good.