Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241764 times)

Kemosabe

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8340 on: July 26, 2017, 11:34:35 am »
 8)

This year will probably be a top 40 year...

herman otto

« Reply #8341 on: July 26, 2017, 12:13:48 pm »
i bought a few more single bottle beers yesterday.

perennial  hopfentea

abita   cypress kriek  cherry sour

dfh   Lupu-Luau  ipa

duclaw   Sour Me This

Wicked Weed   Coolcumber

Space Freely

« Reply #8342 on: July 26, 2017, 12:20:33 pm »
Finally a best of list that makes sense.

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/07/25/best-breweries-in-america/

Pretty good list. I’m going to posit that Sierra must be on their for historical reasons rather than current beer reasons.

When you say, "pretty good list." What do you feel is included that shouldn't be or isn't on the list that should?

I'd argue that Surly, Three Floyds, Stillwater, and Tired Hands could be removed. I'm not 100% sure who would replace them, but otherwise an incredible solid list that covers the tops and best in the industry in my humble opinion.

I was saying "pretty good" in the positive sense. I've only had beer from 15 of the 25 (and for some of the 15, probably haven't had enough to accurately gauge them), so unsure who I would drop off. Among those I've had, Stillwater and Sierra, definitely. Probably Tired Hands.

As to who else might be considered for the list, I'm sure there's a number of breweries who I haven't had beer from (since I don't trade) that might be worthy. But among those that I have had, I would submit these contenders: Russian River, New Glarus, Holy Mountain, The Veil, Lawson's and SingleCut.

*THE ALCHEMIST – Stowe, VT
THE ALE APOTHECARY – Bend, OR
*ALLAGASH BREWING COMPANY – Portland, ME
AMERICAN SOLERA – Tulsa, OK
CASEY BREWING AND BLENDING – Glenwood Springs, CO
*CYCLE BREWING – St. Petersburg, FL
DE GARDE BREWING – Tillamook, OR
*HILL FARMSTEAD BREWERY – Greensboro Bend, VT
J. WAKEFIELD BREWING – Miami, FL
*JESTER KING BREWERY – Austin, TX
*THE LOST ABBEY – San Marcos, CA
*MAINE BEER COMPANY – Freeport, ME
MONKISH BREWING CO. – Torrance, CA
*OTHER HALF BREWING – Brooklyn, NY
SANTE ADAIRIUS RUSTIC ALES – Capitola, CA
SIDE PROJECT BREWING – Maplewood, MO
*SIERRA NEVADA BREWING COMPANY – Chico, CA
*STILLWATER ARTISANAL – Baltimore, MD/Brooklyn, NY
SUAREZ FAMILY BREWERY – Livingston, NY
*SURLY BREWING CO. – Minneapolis, MN
*TIRED HANDS BREWING COMPANY – Ardmore, PA
*THREE FLOYDS BREWING CO. – Munster, IN
*TOPPLING GOLIATH BREWING CO. – Decorah, IA
TREE HOUSE BREWING CO. – Monson, MA
*TRILLIUM BREWING COMPANY – Boston, MA

Yada

« Reply #8343 on: July 26, 2017, 12:42:05 pm »
I feel like to be a top brewery in the country, you need to have a steady amount of amazing beers that are released continuously/consistently. I don't think Lawson's would be on that list personally. They have sip which is an OG NE IPA, but other than that sporadic releases.

I could see Veil on there.

I used to love New Glarus but the last few times I've had their fruit beers, they've just been a bit too sweet.

Russian River should be on that list for sure.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8344 on: July 26, 2017, 12:55:49 pm »
Finally a best of list that makes sense.

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/07/25/best-breweries-in-america/
Sweet list!  I have heard of three of them!   8)

Now you know how I feel when you list your top 234 albums of the year.  ;D ;D ;D
^^ Quality joke.
LVMH

herman otto

« Reply #8345 on: July 26, 2017, 11:58:24 pm »
i bought a few more single bottle beers yesterday.

perennial  hopfentea

abita   cypress kriek  cherry sour

dfh   Lupu-Luau  ipa

duclaw   Sour Me This

Wicked Weed   Coolcumber

so far, I have had the WW coolcumber, which was refreshing and summery with flavors of cucumber, basil and juniper berries really coming out in a unique taste.  liked, it.  the abita, I should have known better.  I did not want to judge the beer because it was abita and not some jesus just blessed this brewery . . . but their attempt of a cherry was neither cherry or sour.  weak all around.  The perennial hopfentea is really good with sour notches and a fruit forward bite.  Not sure I taste tea, but I would buy this again.

« Reply #8346 on: July 27, 2017, 09:34:38 am »
  The perennial hopfentea is really good with sour notches and a fruit forward bite.  Not sure I taste tea, but I would buy this again.
I too think this is a quality bottle, not eveyone's cup of tea, but somewhat easy to get and I think very drinkable
This is a great brewery, but this is often the only offering I see in bottle stores
Abraxas is very good, but not easy to source

MMV
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8347 on: July 27, 2017, 09:39:27 am »
  The perennial hopfentea is really good with sour notches and a fruit forward bite.  Not sure I taste tea, but I would buy this again.
I too think this is a quality bottle, not eveyone's cup of tea, but somewhat easy to get and I think very drinkable
This is a great brewery, but this is often the only offering I see in bottle stores

MMV

Hopfentea is tasty, but at $14 for a bomber, way overpriced. I liked it better when I got it as a $6 32 oz growler fill at P St WF.

Yada

« Reply #8348 on: July 27, 2017, 09:43:49 am »

MMV

Hopfentea is tasty, but at $14 for a bomber, way overpriced. I liked it better when I got it as a $6 32 oz growler fill at P St WF.

#classicSpace

Space Freely

« Reply #8349 on: July 27, 2017, 09:51:46 am »

MMV

#classicSpace

Right? A bomber of Berliner weisse better be at least 4.3 on Beer Advocate to merit a $14 price tag!

« Reply #8350 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28:05 am »

MMV

#classicSpace

Right? A bomber of Berliner weisse better be at least 4.3 on Beer Advocate to merit a $14 price tag!
the bros gave it a 90...
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/119928/?ba=bros#review
but does seem to be more about price/review status rather than actual taste
Jules...I think we almost need to create a thread to compile all #classicspace responses
although it would be very predictable
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8351 on: July 27, 2017, 10:41:12 am »

MMV

#classicSpace

the bros gave it a 90...
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/119928/?ba=bros#review
but does seem to be more about price/review status rather than actual taste
Jules...I think we almost need to create a thread to compile all #classicspace responses

Fat Jason is just one of 298 people who rated it. And his 4.04 (90) is still well short of 4.3. :)

I'm just saying $14 is a lot to pay for a single bottle of a domestically brewed Berliner weisse.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:52:24 am by Space Freely »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #8352 on: July 27, 2017, 10:59:10 am »
I like the idea but the hashtag doesn't seem punchy enough. Pop out a list of at least 20 possibilities, then narrow them down to your top 5 and I'll send them over to my social media team for review.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #8353 on: July 27, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »
I feel like to be a top brewery in the country, you need to have a steady amount of amazing beers that are released continuously/consistently. I don't think Lawson's would be on that list personally. They have sip which is an OG NE IPA, but other than that sporadic releases.

I used to love New Glarus but the last few times I've had their fruit beers, they've just been a bit too sweet.

I might add Firestone Walker to that list as well. Their barrel aged beers and sours are top notch, their IPA are tasty (when fresh), and they make a wide range of beers and have no major weaknesses (except getting fresh product to market on time.)

Yada

« Reply #8354 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »

I might add Firestone Walker to that list as well. Their barrel aged beers and sours are top notch, their IPA are tasty (when fresh), and they make a wide range of beers and have no major weaknesses (except getting fresh product to market on time.)

won't be getting anymore of my $$$

http://www.independent.com/news/2017/may/03/firestone-beer-maker-donates-250000-trump/