Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10125 on: January 15, 2021, 01:28:24 pm »

I know you want the freshest IPAs, but wouldn't the stouts and sours be fine if they were sitting for months?

Any of the beers these guys make these days loaded with lactose and whatever other fruit goop you don't want sitting warm on a shelf.
good to know...is that true of Stouts of any flavor?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10126 on: January 15, 2021, 02:21:15 pm »
These random stores in MoCo that have Aslin definitely have beern that is upwards of 6 months old.
how are you determining that?
I know you want the freshest IPAs, but wouldn't the stouts and sours be fine if they were sitting for months?

IMO, the stouts, definitely or close. Probably same with the lagers. The (fruited) sours, maybe.

Any of the beers these guys make these days loaded with lactose and whatever other fruit goop you don't want sitting warm on a shelf.

The freshness thing doesn't matter as much to me when it comes to pastry stouts.  I have several Aslin stouts sitting warm in my cellar (which is actually pretty cold, so probably low 60's)...next time they release one that matches, I'll buy fresh and compare the two. Two pastry stouts closer to getting my vaccine.

edit: That said, I do try to drink anything that falls in the "pastry stout" category within a year of purchase, usually within six months.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:28:45 pm by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #10127 on: January 15, 2021, 02:21:46 pm »

good to know...is that true of Stouts of any flavor?

None of these pastry stouts get better with age and actually most of the hype breweries specifically suggest not aging them... You'd need to head to the brewing thread for specific feedback on ingredients... But would you want to drink a four year old reese cup that's been sitting at the bottom of a can?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10128 on: January 15, 2021, 03:12:52 pm »
Why would anyone store anything other than barrell aged stouts and the like?

Honest question. Those are the only things I store.

Space Freely

« Reply #10129 on: January 15, 2021, 03:19:49 pm »

Wild ales and lambics and such are also good for storing.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10130 on: January 15, 2021, 03:40:01 pm »
I've had good luck storing belgian tripels

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10131 on: January 15, 2021, 03:45:50 pm »
Interesting. Good to know.

Space Freely

« Reply #10132 on: January 15, 2021, 03:47:21 pm »
My quad homebrew that i bottled maybe 10 months ago tastes much better now than when i bottled it. It was way too boozy to start but now tastes like i would hope it too. Again, like the aforementioned trippel, a high abv Belgian.

Yada

« Reply #10133 on: January 15, 2021, 05:16:56 pm »

In the stout category, it's really the only one that should be aged.

Lambics can be stored for 20+ years and continue to age gracefully.

Other high ABV beers like others have mentioned can be stored but I'm not a fan of any of those styles personally.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10134 on: January 16, 2021, 02:09:45 am »
i started replying to every comment here, then lost most of my work, so here's the i'm-pissed-off-so-this-is-what-you-get retry:

stouts: only the big boys benefit from aging.  a 5-year old Guinness is going to taste like ass.  being barrel-aged isn't a prerequisite for aging.

lagers: drink fresh, they won't improve with age and you risk oxidation.  part of making a lager is to age the beer, cold, for several weeks/months to clarify it.  once that is achieved, there is little additional benefit to aging, vs. risk of oxidation (AKA ruining it).

sours: assuming the beer isn't pasteurized (Rodenbach, most Lindemann, most New Belgiums, etc.) they can be aged almost indefinitely.  the bugs in the beer, particularly brett, will protect the beer.  after several decades you might start encountering issues.

fruited sours: personally, i prefer them fresh.  the taste of the fruit will change over time: it'll become more muted, more incorporated into the overall beer.  some folks like this flavor, personally i like the fruit to pop out.  YMMV.

lactose: isn't fermentable by brewers yeast, so doesn't affect shelf stability - assuming the beer was made by someone who can keep contamination at bay.  there are wild critters that can ferment lactose but that shouldn't be a concern with commercial beer.  homebrew on the other hand can be iffy.  much harder to be bug-free on the residential level.

fruit goop: for 99% of fruited beer, the goop is added during fermentation so all sugars are consumed.  fruit doesn't affect shelf stability.  HOWEVER, some yahoos like to add fruit at packaging - notably some milkshake IPA makers.  these beers will (or certainly should) come with a warning: KEEP COLD AND DRINK ASAP.  as long as the beer is in a fridge, the yeast should stay dormant and all is well.  if you suspect that a can of warm beer has fresh fruit in it (again, a rare thing given how dangerous it is), just give it a light squeeze while ensuring that your face isn't in the way of the top/opening since that's where it will fail: if the can is rock-hard, back away quickly and call the bomb squad.

None of these pastry stouts get better with age

agreed. but they are more shelf-stable than the average beer, so no need to consume them like an IPA.

My quad homebrew that i bottled maybe 10 months ago tastes much better now than when i bottled it. It was way too boozy to start but now tastes like i would hope it too. Again, like the aforementioned trippel, a high abv Belgian.

high-alcohol beer can be initially unpleasant (ever had a fresh Bigfoot?).  long story short: there are several types of "alcohol", one of the types is called fusel alcohol.  this is burn-your-throat rocket fuel stuff.  fermenting a beer too warm produces them (hello homebrewers!), and making a big beer = producing a lot of alcohol = some of it will be fusels, in quantities you can taste.  the good news is that fusels can, within a limit, "age out" - they chemically change to other alcohols that we find pleasant (or at least less offensive than fusels).  hence, letting a big beer age will make it smoother.

coda: there is such thing as letting a beer age too long, even a 15% barrel-aged imperial stout.  when i left DC i had a cellar-emptying party.  some great stuff was had that night, but about a quarter of the bottles were over-aged: oxidation had done more damage than aging had improved the beer.  a few beers that i had been looking forward to tasting for years were disappointments.  since then i've limited my cellar-stocking and try not to keep anything for more than 3 years (except for sours and meads).
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10135 on: January 16, 2021, 08:52:59 am »
Let's remember this discussion was about Aslin letting pastry, ipas, and fruit sludge cans sit on shelves in MoCo at 72 degrees for multiple months. This is not making any beer better.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10136 on: January 16, 2021, 10:11:18 am »
coda: there is such thing as letting a beer age too long, even a 15% barrel-aged imperial stout.

Very true.  I've poured some expensive stuff down the drain so now I don't store but a handful of beers at a time. Not my thang.

« Reply #10137 on: January 16, 2021, 11:14:41 am »
coda: there is such thing as letting a beer age too long, even a 15% barrel-aged imperial stout.

Very true.  I've poured some expensive stuff down the drain so now I don't store but a handful of beers at a time. Not my thang.
Its not my thing, mostly because I drink it as I get it
can't seem to work on my 'beer saving' plan, instead I live beer-check to beer-check

Maybe there is no demand anymore for Aslin, but I've never seen cans sit for days let alone 6 months
I mean in DC/VA it really hasn't even started showing up on shelves until recently...although my time frame with covid is whacked, so maybe they have been there for 6 months, but that seems rare

I wonder if there is some 'overstock' distro guys who will buy these old cans from people and resell them at a discount to these bodegas and such
hardly seems like its worth the effort.
I do think after reading this that dating cans should be a standard in the craft community
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:19:01 am by Panic-Button-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10138 on: January 16, 2021, 11:26:54 am »
I always check for dates.

I think the worst of the beer geeks have moved on from Aslin and now consider it second rate. Sure, there's better competition but I wouldn't turn my nose up at them.

Same goes for the Veil and whatnot.  Just stupid.

Space Freely

« Reply #10139 on: January 16, 2021, 11:31:52 am »
I always check for dates.

I think the worst of the beer geeks have moved on from Aslin and now consider it second rate. Sure, there's better competition but I wouldn't turn my nose up at them.

Same goes for the Veil and whatnot.  Just stupid.

agree