Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3223003 times)

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10155 on: January 22, 2021, 07:10:32 pm »
Dumpy inconvenient part of town.
yeah, Ivy city sucks, but it's not bad if you are coming in from MD

it's like two blocks from Atlas, but in that hip and trendy block with City Winery
If you were in that area after dark 30 years ago...would have been dramatically different, now it looks like Bethesda

And I'll stand by my statement that comparing those bottles to a regular six pack is uninformed.
that is fair, but I like making the comparison for hyperbolic value

I suppose if I deducted the time it would take to go get them myself then it’s not a bad deal at all. My time is not free, y’all’s mmv.
I totally agree, that was always my argument for drycleaning
But my time is cheap now there is nothing to do
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:12:56 pm by Diet Coke button ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Yada

« Reply #10156 on: January 22, 2021, 07:14:32 pm »
Only 4 to 6 bucks a can of you take a four pack home and drink it safely there.

I did a pickup there and I must say it's the worst OH location of the three I've been to.... Finger Lakes being the clear winner ..

Worst but still nice? Worst and a complete dump?

Dumpy inconvenient part of town. Can't comment on the beer garden since I did curbside, though sidehutch gives it the thumbs up.

Almost like reviewing a concert you never attended.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10157 on: January 22, 2021, 07:48:03 pm »
930 Forum:  I like making the comparison for hyperbolic value

Space Freely

« Reply #10158 on: January 22, 2021, 08:47:55 pm »

I did a pickup there and I must say it's the worst OH location of the three I've been to.... Finger Lakes being the clear winner ..

Dumpy inconvenient part of town. Can't comment on the beer garden since I did curbside, though sidehutch gives it the thumbs up.

Not at all. I love the Finger Lakes place because of the beautiful country drive getting there. I like the original Brooklyn place because it was within walking distance of a nice area where we had a nice airbnb. The DC place is in Ivy City, just off New York Avenue, in a shitty area.

Yada

« Reply #10159 on: January 23, 2021, 03:48:11 pm »

Not at all. I love the Finger Lakes place because of the beautiful country drive getting there. I like the original Brooklyn place because it was within walking distance of a nice area where we had a nice airbnb. The DC place is in Ivy City, just off New York Avenue, in a shitty area.

I guess I misinterpreted your post, I didn't realize you were actually specifying location on a map. I thought you meant the over all description of the brewery/tap house. I for one can say it's MUCH better than the shithole Other Half location in BK without ever being at the one in DC.

Space Freely

« Reply #10160 on: January 23, 2021, 04:23:56 pm »

I guess I misinterpreted your post, I didn't realize you were actually specifying location on a map. I thought you meant the over all description of the brewery/tap house. I for one can say it's MUCH better than the shithole Other Half location in BK without ever being at the one in DC.

There are two locations in Brooklyn, and they did a makeover of the original location that made it into a much nicer place, imo. Not saying it's better than DC on the inside, but I'd say the makeover made it nicer.

I actually have only been to the FLX location during COVID, so only sat outside, which is pleasant. My brother vouches that it's nice on the inside.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10161 on: January 25, 2021, 04:17:49 pm »
PSA for the session beer crowd - All Day summer seasonal upcoming:

All Day Vacay
You’re going to need a bigger suitcase – All Day Vacay has arrived. Take a well-earned respite from the mundane and let this session wheat ale whisk you away with its slight, summery sweetness – complimented by delicate notes of citrus. Whether it’s a staycay or vacay, it’s the perfect companion for any type of adventure. 4.6% ABV.

All Day Vacay will be available in 6 and 15-packs of 12oz cans and on draft nationally April through September.

<sig>

« Reply #10162 on: January 25, 2021, 04:32:52 pm »
Odd choice for Session as aren't most Wheat beers kinda low in ABV to begin with?

I see founders had a Wheat that was 6.8%, but that not typical ...right?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10163 on: January 25, 2021, 04:50:22 pm »
American wheat or rye beer should always be easy drinking and refreshing. This is a moderate alcohol beer (4 to 5.5% ABV) with medium-light to medium body and medium to high carbonation. Appearance ranges from straw to light gold and from clear to hazy.

I think Sweetcell may even be a bigger Founders fanboy than I am. Are we allowed to like the again?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10164 on: January 25, 2021, 05:02:52 pm »
"session" usually means under 5% in the US, so technically this qualifies.  personally i would have thought they'd go lower, say under 4.5, to really hammer home the session aspect.  most american wheats are indeed at the lower end of the scale but not necessarily sessions: oberon is 5.8%, for example, while GI's 312 is only 4.2%.

I think Sweetcell may even be a bigger Founders fanboy than I am. Are we allowed to like the again?

nah.  Founders is fine, but i only ever buy their bigger stuff (dug up a bottle of Better half not too long ago, yum).  posted that announcement since it hasn't been made public yet - i'm spinning unrelease info, yo.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #10165 on: January 25, 2021, 05:43:23 pm »
Unreleased info? That's been making the rounds for about a month.

Breakfast Stout and beers that use breakfast stout as the base are the only good Founder's beers. Prove me wrong.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10166 on: January 25, 2021, 06:03:34 pm »

Breakfast Stout and beers that use breakfast stout as the base are the only good Founder's beers. Prove me wrong.
You don’t like Centennial IPA?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10167 on: January 25, 2021, 06:14:07 pm »

really?  i missed that, not that i'm that well informed... where?

Breakfast Stout and beers that use breakfast stout as the base

saying that KBS and the like are "based" on breakfast stout is a stretch.  the beers are similar because they're in the same style - there are only so many ways to make a breakfast stout - but the recipes are different.  KBS, for example, uses less oats, has more malt (higher gravity), higher percentage roast grains, has more bitterness, etc.

that's like saying a brewery's IPA #1 is "based" on IPA #2.  so if you're comfortable saying that all of Stone's myriad IPAs are "based" on their original IPA, then sure - BS is the base for all of their imperial stouts.
are the only good Founder's beers. Prove me wrong.

the above-mentioned Better Half is one example that comes to mind.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10168 on: January 25, 2021, 06:15:27 pm »
You don’t like Centennial IPA?

i haven't had that beer in at least 5 years.  it was, at one time, pretty edgy.  it's now lost in the crowd.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10169 on: January 25, 2021, 06:31:18 pm »
in case anyone was wondering what they can pick/have delivered from Blue Jacket: https://mailchi.mp/bluejacketdc/fullymadfat-super

FYI, blue jacket has put together a "hidden" (unlisted) assorted 4-pack of strong dark beers (not based on Breakfast stout, as far as i know) for the DC Homebrewer's next meeting - might be interesting for those looking for some variety.  Private Homebrewers Meeting
<sig>