Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241525 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7980 on: March 03, 2017, 10:34:15 am »
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7981 on: March 05, 2017, 07:14:34 pm »
in case anyone is looking for Rodenbach Alexander, Westover Market has at least 3 more bottles on the shelf for $20 each.  they used to have 4, but i grabbed one ;D

other brews i deprived NoVa beer drinkers of this weekend:
- Adroit Theory: Now I Am Death, Destroyer Of Worlds (Ghost 540), from Lost Dog Cafe take-out: more of an american blond barleywine than a triple IPA, in my opinion.  a lot of malt there, some sweetness (possibly from the high alcohol) and i wasn't knocked over by the hops.  not sure i'd spring for this one again but definitely worth a taste.  the usually-not-a-hop-head missus happily helped me kill this one.  not too surprising considering the level of hoppiness.
- Boulevard Collaboration No. 6, also Lost Dog - apparently the sum might not be greater than the parts per reviewers but those are some damn tasty parts.  willing to give this a shot.
- Founders Frootwood: for the missus.  a cherry beer aged in bourbon maple barrels that is on the sweet side.  i'm guaranteed to get some when i spring this one on the lady.
- a growler of Starr Hill Debut #10 Barleywine - damn decent.  sipping on it right now.  dangerously drinkable. not something i'd hunt down but definitely glad i grabbed this at the Clarendon Whole Foods.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7982 on: March 05, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »
May I suggest pairing that Collaboration #6 beer with some bread pudding? That's what I had it with and it was a perfect match.

The Frootwood is decent. I'm thinking of adding one to some vanilla ice cream for a Frootwood Float.

hutch

« Reply #7983 on: March 05, 2017, 08:05:08 pm »
lagunitas IPA

i like it..

i tried eight point IPA (is that the name?) and i didn't think much of it...

gavroche

« Reply #7984 on: March 06, 2017, 01:14:32 am »
in case anyone is looking for Rodenbach Alexander, Westover Market has at least 3 more bottles on the shelf for $20 each.  they used to have 4, but i grabbed one ;D

other brews i deprived NoVa beer drinkers of this weekend:
- Adroit Theory: Now I Am Death, Destroyer Of Worlds (Ghost 540), from Lost Dog Cafe take-out: more of an american blond barleywine than a triple IPA, in my opinion.  a lot of malt there, some sweetness (possibly from the high alcohol) and i wasn't knocked over by the hops.  not sure i'd spring for this one again but definitely worth a taste.  the usually-not-a-hop-head missus happily helped me kill this one.  not too surprising considering the level of hoppiness.
- Boulevard Collaboration No. 6, also Lost Dog - apparently the sum might not be greater than the parts per reviewers but those are some damn tasty parts.  willing to give this a shot.
- Founders Frootwood: for the missus.  a cherry beer aged in bourbon maple barrels that is on the sweet side.  i'm guaranteed to get some when i spring this one on the lady.
- a growler of Starr Hill Debut #10 Barleywine - damn decent.  sipping on it right now.  dangerously drinkable. not something i'd hunt down but definitely glad i grabbed this at the Clarendon Whole Foods.

And for those living in the district Alexander is available at the Mom's by Eastern Market.  Was $18 or $19 a 750.

hutch

« Reply #7985 on: March 06, 2017, 08:24:26 am »
^ una bicoca

Space Freely

« Reply #7987 on: March 06, 2017, 08:54:10 pm »
^ that does sound good

found this today and very pleased
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7988 on: March 07, 2017, 01:10:21 am »

this beer was brought a while back... consensus seems to be that this isn't their best offering.  certainly didn't impress me much.  i mean, it's a fine beer and i'd certainly rather drink it than a lot of stuff out there.  but compared to the more edgy stuff that RAR makes, this one is definitely their middle-of-the-road, it-pays-the-bills flagship. 
<sig>

« Reply #7989 on: March 07, 2017, 09:27:38 am »
maybe so, but I'm finding it hard to find things in the fridge at the local bodega and this hit the spot rather than sam adams or fat tire offerings
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7990 on: March 07, 2017, 09:28:58 am »
What's a bodega?

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7991 on: March 07, 2017, 10:38:50 am »

this beer was brought a while back... consensus seems to be that this isn't their best offering.  certainly didn't impress me much.  i mean, it's a fine beer and i'd certainly rather drink it than a lot of stuff out there.  but compared to the more edgy stuff that RAR makes, this one is definitely their middle-of-the-road, it-pays-the-bills flagship. 

I honestly think this is one of the best Maryland IPAs you can find *on tap*. For whatever reason it just doesn't translate as well during their canning process. Very strange, but anytime I see it at a bar I tend to order a pint.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7992 on: March 07, 2017, 02:16:32 pm »
What's a bodega?

The opposite, of when a snob only knows about total wine or Trader Joe's.

Yada

« Reply #7993 on: March 09, 2017, 01:07:41 pm »
EpiQ beer adventures in the south western part of Florida over the past week, what a playground for all things beer if you have the time.

Highlights were daily stops at Cycle for their Weekday releases (very few neck beards, no lines, and beers by 8:30am each morning). Their bartenders were a bit prickish, but my guess due to Tampa Beer week they had been dealing with a lot of dumb people and extremely long days. Their stouts were outstanding and their sister brewery Orange Belt had incredible low ABV sours that I crushed for breakfast each day. Their IPAs were pretty meh and not really noteworthy at all.

Music was terrible most of the time with heavy metal (maybe fits the prickish bar tender mood) and some old hip hop was decent.

I was only able to pop into Cigar City for a quick second to stock up and have a few quick beers. Jai Alai from the teet is still absolutely delicious even though it's a bit of an old school IPA. Their gose and berliner were above average and their espresso coffee beer was delicious, tasted quite similar to a recent Trillium offering I had.

Music was Maggot Brain and Band of Gypsys, two thumbs up.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7994 on: March 09, 2017, 01:42:36 pm »
Savor
June 2 & 3
https://www.savorcraftbeer.com/
$135

Ticket Sale Dates
Member pre-sale: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 via Ticketmaster
Public sale: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 via Ticketmaster

SAVOR ticket sales are limited to four tickets per night, per order. To participate in the member pre-sale, you must be an American Homebrewers Association or Brewers Association member by March 12, 2017.
<sig>