Author Topic: Praise be to God!  (Read 16488 times)

Re: Praise be to God!
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03:00 am »
Why do you preface your statement with "Sorry". Are you really sorry?

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  Sorry, but the world is a better place with Falwell gone.  The only regrettable thing is he didn't croak 30 years ago, and that his ignorant, beady-eyed, small-minded followers can't just die off en masse.

Dupek, as usual you see hypocrisy everywhere but in yourself.  Nobody is questioning Falwell's right to free speech; and another part of free speech is being glad someone is dead.  It's not like anyone killed him.

nkotb

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
Very true.  But isn't there any merit in being a bigger person?  I think that's my main problem with politics in general.  One side insults the other, the other does it back claiming the first side is stopping to mudslinging.  And repeat.  

Nobody is questioning Falwell's right to free speech; and another part of free speech is being glad someone is dead.  

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2007, 11:15:00 am »
You've been reading Obama's book?

Originally posted by nkotb:
  Very true.  But isn't there any merit in being a bigger person?  I think that's my main problem with politics in general.  One side insults the other, the other does it back claiming the first side is stopping to mudslinging.  And repeat.  

Nobody is questioning Falwell's right to free speech; and another part of free speech is being glad someone is dead.  
[/b]

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  One could easily make the same statements regarding Al Sharpton.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

One could, if one was so inclined; if you made such a statement, I would assume your motive racist given previous posts on other matters involving race.  Personally I dislike Sharpton very much, for non-racist reasons, but I think Falwell was far more harmful.  Sharpton has always been something of a spectacle, respected by few except his own rabid followers, whereas Falwell had real access to the corridors of power.   So if Sharpton croaks, I won't miss him, but I also won't break out the champagne as I intend to do for Falwell.
_\|/_

nkotb

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2007, 11:18:00 am »
Nope.  Worth reading?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
   He was a pretty hateful man.  
Exactly.  And after being the target of a lot of that hate for quite a few years, I'm not terribly concerned about being seen as tacky or inappropriate.  Compared to his words and actions, a few disrespectful comments on a nightclub chat room is nothing.

ggw

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
  The only regrettable thing is he didn't croak 30 years ago, and that his ignorant, beady-eyed, small-minded followers can't just die off en masse.

But anyone who thinks they can categorize and condemn a billion people they've never met is a bigot -- nothing tired-old-PC about that. It's what you are.

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
An interesting read thus far, though I'm no expert on what shapes and makes a good book on politics. The thought you expressed seemed reminiscent of the some of the points he's trying to make in the book.

Nope.  Worth reading?

[/b]

• my blog
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
yeah, but I'm not talking about a billion people, nor even about people of a specific faith.  I am talking about people who chose to follow a hateful man.  I'd say the same thing about Klansmen, and that wouldn't be bigotry either.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

The only regrettable thing is he didn't croak 30 years ago, and that his ignorant, beady-eyed, small-minded followers can't just die off en masse.

But anyone who thinks they can categorize and condemn a billion people they've never met is a bigot -- nothing tired-old-PC about that. It's what you are.
[/b]
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2007, 11:26:00 am »
(deleted - miunderstood someone's comment.  apologies)
<sig>

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
Falwell ceased being an important voice for mainstream Christians long ago.

From salon.com:

Conservative Christianity has been trying to recover from Falwell for the past two decades. Just as his political views were too buffoonish to make the Moral Majority a reality, his religious sensibilities were too shallow to spread evangelical Protestantism. Evangelicalism grew in the exurban megachurches, and the megachurches, implicitly and occasionally explicitly, rejected Falwell's approach to the faith. Rick Warren, Joel Osteen, Bill Hybels -- these inclusive preachers inherited the mantle of Billy Graham, not Falwell and his great rival Pat Robertson. With the maturation of American evangelicalism has come an interest in social justice, environmentalism and peace. The people who represent evangelical Protestantism's future want little or nothing to do with injustice, pollution and war.

yeah, but I'm not talking about a billion people, nor even about people of a specific faith.  I am talking about people who chose to follow a hateful man.  I'd say the same thing about Klansmen, and that wouldn't be bigotry either.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

[/b]
[/b]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2007, 11:31:00 am »
(this is a sign for me to get off this board today... instead of deleting my previous post, i created a new one.  have a nice day y'all  :) )
<sig>

bnyced0

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2007, 11:34:00 am »
  I'm not going to get into a debate over the existence of a God, but you seem quite disrespectful to the vast majority of people in the world who choose to believe in his/her existence.

Of course science can't prove the existence of God, that's why they call it FAITH.
Not sure if you were referring to me or not, but I'll answer anyway.  I grant you that I may have been borderline desrespectful, and to some extent I regret that those I refer to shouldn't be mocked merely for their beliefs. However inartfully I may be, the ire of my rage are those that have pounced on what I feel are defenseless individuals to exploit either their ignorance, lack of resources, or mental disabilities to convince them that "faith" is more important than reality.  For those that have come to this conclusion themselves, without duress, and after thoughtful consideration of the alternatives I have no problem with, again as long as they don't try to recruit others.  I acknowledge a little hyperbole for effect, but my real concern is that there is so much misery based on the word of whatever prophet, god, or other diety that it is what pushes my button the most.  I apologize to anyone offended, this dialogue should be better than that, but it should be noted that I didn't single anyone or any religion out, I think it's all an irrationale scourge. And for a true believer, I would think they would understand my reluctance to believe because they had to find their faith rather than have it given to them.  Basically where's the intellectual honesty?

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2007, 11:34:00 am »
Al Sharpton is more of a racist than I'll ever be.

One could easily make the same statements regarding Al Sharpton.

[/b]
One could, if one was so inclined; if you made such a statement, I would assume your motive racist given previous posts on other matters involving race.  Personally I dislike Sharpton very much, for non-racist reasons, but I think Falwell was far more harmful.  Sharpton has always been something of a spectacle, respected by few except his own rabid followers, whereas Falwell had real access to the corridors of power.   So if Sharpton croaks, I won't miss him, but I also won't break out the champagne as I intend to do for Falwell. [/QB][/QUOTE]

• my blog
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2007, 11:40:00 am »
You'll find no argument from me there.

Anyway, this all distracts from the point of this thread, which is that Falwell has joined Mohammed Atta and the other 19 9-11 hijackers to spend an eternity in screaming pain in the burning sulfur pits of Hell.

Al Sharpton is more of a racist than I'll ever be.

_\|/_