Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2126708 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #1950 on: January 16, 2010, 07:05:31 pm »
I also am listening to Lady GaGa, the things one does with their loved in a car
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #1951 on: January 16, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »
i know to the scene i am a late jumper . . . but good lord i am all into beach house.  interesting they've been around since 2006 and i just now pay attention. 

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #1952 on: January 16, 2010, 07:33:21 pm »
I've also been listening to The Fame Monster alot. Oh, and for some reason, this:

killsaly

« Reply #1953 on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:40 pm »

Duelectrum - Electrolandia
Brazilian shoegaze.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1954 on: January 17, 2010, 12:13:30 am »
Duelectrum is over in my list of top releases for 2009.

What's your favorite track? Mine is 'Maverick'.

killsaly

« Reply #1955 on: January 17, 2010, 02:07:45 pm »
Off of that one, Galaxy of Sound. Off any of their stuff that i have heard so far, Duelectrum.   

vansmack

« Reply #1956 on: January 17, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »

Hear ya....
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1957 on: January 17, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »

Hear ya....

i thought you and smakette liked the same musical crap?  oh, wait, you're not talking about music selection...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1958 on: January 18, 2010, 09:29:05 pm »
so i've been listening to a lot of music recently, below are a few recommendations that some of you might like.  apologies if i'm behind the curve on some of these, they're all new discoveries for me and i haven't seen them mentioned here before.  my first recommendation is dedicated to kosmo:

Bossa n' Roses
attention all cheeseballs: this may be your new favorite album.  despite the name, this isn't a bossa nova record - it's a chill-out/electronic lounge take on GnR tunes with some some brazillian rhythms and jazz flourishes.  this album was the soundtrack to my xmas beach vacation, and it fit perfectly - i recommend that you save this one for your next trip to the tropics.  and like the books one takes to the beach, this isn't high art.  it's a guilty pleasure, not Important Music(tm).  apparently this is part of a series,  "Bossa n' Stones" is supposed to be good too (although one from the series is probably more than enough).

Conclamo - Now It's Gone Forever
slow, atmospheric and at times non-melodic post-rock.  each song is very different from the others yet the album works as a cohesive whole.  i kept wondering what the band would surprise me with next... and they did, every time.  they cover a lot of ground including some interesting rhythmical noise-fests (which usually aren't my thing, but they make it work).  IMO this album should be listened to straight-through, in one sitting.  azag, you'll like this one.

Glaciers - And The Sea Won The Battle
more post-rock, a solid album, a little more guitar-driven than your average fare.  a few solid head-banging moments.

Eksperimentoj - s/t
indie rock?  post-rock?  progressive rock?  whatever it is, it rocks.  of all the recommendations here i think this one will be the most popular/compatible with the average boardee's tastes.  warning to DJs: playing the untitled fourth track over a PA will result in dozens of people inquiring where you got that unreleased radiohead song (but no worries, it's the only one with this affliction).

in case anyone is looking for some psychedelic downtemo/psybient/trippy chillout electronica whachamacallit:
  • Yggdrasil - Prose Edda: very shpongle-like at times, although a little darker overall.  very trippy.
  • Kuba - Bringing It All Back Home: this guy can do no wrong.  of the same caliber as his other releases.  blissful.
  • Koan - When The Silence Is Speaking: from russia, hard to believe i haven't heard of these guys until recently.  this, and their other full-length, is packed with lovely melodic goodness.
  • Deep Dive Corp. - More Bass: dubby space-funk.  lots of guest vocalists which, save for one exception, add beautifully to the album.

and:
PS everybody who liked Phoenix might wanna check out the new Tahiti 80; at least get the track "Brazil"

agreed, good album.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:59:23 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #1959 on: January 21, 2010, 09:12:01 am »
Liking this one quite a bit...

This one leads off with a great track, has a few more good ones, but several very dull ones as well.

In the words of my wife, "This is rich hippie kid music, I hate it." Ok, I don't hate it as much as she does, but just can't really get into it.

I'm late to the party on this one, but really digging it:

brennser

« Reply #1960 on: January 21, 2010, 10:02:29 am »
favorite album of 2010 so far - The Soft Pack - great power pop

nkotb

« Reply #1961 on: January 21, 2010, 10:12:34 am »
Agreed.  The best tracks are easy contenders for top 10 song of the year (way early, obvs), the average tracks are listenable and the rest are kind of just...there.

Still, Swim gets added to the Shuffle for runs easily.

This one leads off with a great track, has a few more good ones, but several very dull ones as well.

James Ford

« Reply #1962 on: January 21, 2010, 10:25:04 am »
I should also note that Surfer Blood is the only band I've ever known to be from my birthplace. Yay for them~!

ggw

« Reply #1963 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:32 am »
The Muslims album they released last year was great too.

James Ford

« Reply #1964 on: January 22, 2010, 01:57:51 pm »
The Muslims album they released last year was great too.

Live on KEXP today at noon PST.