Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901268 times)

atomicfront

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2685 on: March 29, 2013, 10:08:46 am »
Galaxy II-S isn't underpowered. 

Go back and read what I said.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

You see, I said "compared to today's top of the line phones" but just to humor you, the average lifespan of a phone is 18-24 months, and by lifespan I mean support and updates.

The GSII came out in May 2011, or almost 2 years ago.  We're 30 days from the GS4 coming out...

It will never see the next iteration of Android, likely called Key Lime Pie.  Some versions of it will never see Jelly Bean (Virgin might be in this boat).  So sadly, in the last 4 months you likely dropped about $350-$300 on a phone that's as good as it's going to get, will stop seeing software updates (thus will not be able to take advantage of the new features of Android) and eventually developer updates will not work on your phone because devs don't support phones that are two years old.

But hey, if you think it's powerful enough for you, that's all that matters.

Well by your logic than the other plan with 99 downpayment and 20 dollars a month you are going to have an out of date phone for a long time.

I paid less than 300 dollars for the phone.  And I only have to pay 35 dollars for service. 

Newest phones cost 600 bucks.  So if you put down payment of 99 that means you have 501 to pay off. 501/20 = 25 months.  So are you going to keep the phone once your pay it off in 25 months?  That is where the savings would even come in the plan you mentioned.  I can buy a new phone every year.   Galaxy II-S isn't much different than a Galaxy III-s.  Same screen size and same camera.  It is fast enough.   

But it comes down to it is a phone.  I can watch videos, surf the net, make calls, play games, text and take photos, I can stream music from google music and rhapsody.  What else would I need to do?

Oh and I know people with 10 year old phones that work fine.

vansmack

« Reply #2686 on: March 29, 2013, 11:49:22 am »
Well by your logic than the other plan with 99 downpayment and 20 dollars a month you are going to have an out of date phone for a long time.

I have the Nexus 4 from Google and paid $350 for it.  Unlocked, off contract, world phone with cutting edge hardware and it always has the most up to date software.

And Smackie NEVER has an out of date phone.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2687 on: March 30, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »
My Death Star is almost fully operational.

Closer than I thought, actually.  I spent my free time this week rebuilding my network with this enterprise class equipment, complete with Cat6 throughput and a new Synology NAS.

Turns out Comcast's equipment was not prepared for this much firepower and their coaxial cable fried.  The result was that every other customer on this local plant (at least 2 square blocks) had pixelated television screens and their internet had slowed to a crawl.  Mine of course, was crytstal clear and blazing fast.

So the Comcast guy knocks on my door and looks at what I did and said "Impressive.  I don't see anything wrong with it, so let's just put a filter on your line and that should clear it up for everyone else."

That filter is in my apt, and I'm the only one with access to it.  I can envision a scenario where the Giants and the Angels are in the World Series and unless things are going the Halo's way, that filter's coming off.

And to think, I was just joking when I named my new SSID "Alderaan #neverforget"...
27>34

Yada

« Reply #2688 on: April 01, 2013, 02:04:16 pm »
Where exactly are "the bees" playing in the US right now, smackie?

vansmack

« Reply #2689 on: April 01, 2013, 02:18:48 pm »

According to their tumbler page, they were in Florida when you asked.

They are in Denver at the end of this week and then back to Florida. But it could be that they don't have songkick set up properly on their site...
27>34

Yada

« Reply #2690 on: April 01, 2013, 02:24:44 pm »

According to their tumbler page, they were in Florida when you asked.

They are in Denver at the end of this week and then back to Florida. But it could be that they don't have songkick set up properly on their site...

No shit!!! Why the hell aren't they doing a proper tour and playing the most random parts of Florida, ever?? Thanks for the info!

And after further investigation... that's not The Bees from the UK.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:27:03 pm by Yada »

vansmack

« Reply #2691 on: April 01, 2013, 02:28:12 pm »

No shit!!! Why the hell aren't they doing a proper tour and playing the most random parts of Florida, ever?? Thanks for the info!

There is an American band called "The Bees" and the UK version is known as "A Band of Bees" legally, stateside.  So it could just be that the songkick web plugin is referencing the American band with the same name.

Otherwise, yeah, I don't know why they'd be doing a twice monthly gig at a small venue in FL.
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #2692 on: April 01, 2013, 03:32:11 pm »
this made me think of the awesome band the bird and the bee. 

vansmack

« Reply #2693 on: April 02, 2013, 05:52:03 pm »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2694 on: April 08, 2013, 06:28:47 pm »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2695 on: April 11, 2013, 07:05:24 pm »
Bullpen ERA close to 5 (15 ER in 27.2 innings).
A .120 batting average with runners in scoring position (9 for 75!).
76 runners LOB in 8 games.
Best starter on the DL for the month.

I lay in bed and stared at the ceiling last night in the dark for almost 2 hours in absolute fear of the future of this team.  It's like deja vu all over again.

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2696 on: April 14, 2013, 01:53:12 pm »
Ray J - I Hit it First

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa0hj82sS1k

"I had her head going north and her ass going south
But now baby chose to go West"

I'm struggling to figure out what this song is about....
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2697 on: April 16, 2013, 11:56:14 am »
if i have the choice of an iphone 5 and galaxy s3, i should go with the galaxy, right?
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2698 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:33 pm »
if i have the choice of an iphone 5 and galaxy s3, i should go with the galaxy, right?

Work or pleasure?

Which carrier?

What other devices are in your ecosystem and do you buy a lot of apps (as opposed to free ones)?
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2699 on: April 16, 2013, 07:57:54 pm »
work

verizon

apple everything personal, thinkpad for work

i buy limited apps, but wouldn't really need to buy any for the galaxy--i still have an iphone 5 for personal use
o/\o