Author Topic: Club's 30th anniversary?  (Read 199664 times)

wml7

Re: Club's 30th anniversary?
« Reply #555 on: June 01, 2010, 10:04:28 am »
It was indeed a great show.  I was on the left side of the stage, right in front of the area where the staff walks to the backstage.  I must say there was a couple of cute staff girls who were working that area  ;D  Ended up drinking too much when I said I would just have a few.  The bartender I had was really sweet.  The beer I wanted was out until they changed it.  I ordered some other beer the rest of the night.  When I went to close out my tab she remembered my original beer and gave it to me on the house.  Great staff  ;D  It wasn't too crowded in there, which was a good thing.  Everyone was good.  Never seen Clutch before and they were really good.  Dave/Scream was awesome.  Never seen Bob Mould either and he sounded good.  Trouble Funk played a long set.  Just like one person said earlier they sounded like they played the same song for 45 mins haha.  Overall great night.  Thanks Seth and staff for a good time.   ;D

shemptiness

« Reply #556 on: June 01, 2010, 10:09:15 am »
Showed my 10-year-old a picture I took of Bob Mould on stage.  She said 'He had 30 seconds left to play?'  Cute.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #557 on: June 01, 2010, 10:16:27 am »
Loved the show.  Highlights  for me were Tommy Keene Band, Don and Marti, Ted Leo, & Grohl/Scream.  Surprised by the bluesiness of the Clutch. Very different (better) than my expectations.  Ran into an old college friend, and got to shake hands with Ted Leo and tell him i love his music.  goodtimes.

Thanks Harry, Seth, Rich and staph for a great night!

xcanuck

« Reply #558 on: June 01, 2010, 10:19:02 am »
Thanks, Seth, for putting together a wonderful night. Everything seemed to go smoothly, even with cancellations, delays, and whatnot. The 9:30 Club continues to demonstrate why no other club in the country comes close to being the class establishment that the 9:30 is.

eros

« Reply #559 on: June 01, 2010, 10:49:34 am »
Was that Ted Leonsis not dancing up in the penalty box?

That was Mr. Leonsis up there.  Right before Clutch I was feeling particularly talkative and kindly asked him from down on the floor to part ways with Gilbert Arenas.  His response was a "now-now" shaking of the index finger.

He was later replaced by a rather stiff but at least dancing Barack.

I thought the guy in front was of me was going to go out of his skin when he saw the Obama cutout.  He kept shaking his fist at the lady holding it up to show his total and complete disapproval of our president.
ʎɐʍou

shemptiness

« Reply #560 on: June 01, 2010, 10:51:47 am »
Pretty sure that was Marti with the cardboard Obama.

tigerflight

« Reply #561 on: June 01, 2010, 10:52:36 am »
Super fun, amazing night! So grateful I got to witness that.
THanks one and all!
xoxo

Fooer

« Reply #562 on: June 01, 2010, 10:54:57 am »
And who knew Seth could actually play drums? crazy ...
Didn't he also join Foo Fighters a couple of years ago, and then played with the Slickees at the 25th anniv.?

Not that I know of.  I know Seth was not behind the drum kit in 2000 or the 2005 9:30 Club Foo Fighters appearances.  25th anniversary show I didn't attend.  The only time I've ever seen Seth behind the drumkit at 9:30 Club was when Live played after headlining the HFStival in 2001.  The show started at 1:30 a.m. in the morning.  Ended at around 3 or 3:30 a.m.

wml7

« Reply #563 on: June 01, 2010, 10:56:46 am »
Sethy also played drums with Chuck Berry at Virgin Fest  ;D

« Reply #564 on: June 01, 2010, 11:00:54 am »
Was that Ted Leonsis not dancing up in the penalty box?

That was Mr. Leonsis up there.  Right before Clutch I was feeling particularly talkative and kindly asked him from down on the floor to part ways with Gilbert Arenas.  His response was a "now-now" shaking of the index finger.

Guess I was in front of you but  I thought he responded with the Gilbert Arenas finger guns.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:16:12 pm by 6949 »
xoxo

shemptiness

« Reply #565 on: June 01, 2010, 11:01:08 am »
Sethy also played drums with Chuck Berry at Virgin Fest  ;D

That's MISTER Seth per TF.

shemptiness

« Reply #566 on: June 01, 2010, 11:03:24 am »

Guess I was in front of you but  I thought he responded with the Gilbert Arenas finger guns.

He DID do the finger guns!  I didn't hear the original comment so I didn't make the connection at the time.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #567 on: June 01, 2010, 11:04:23 am »
Seth also played with Barenaked ladies at MPP and while i wasnt there with Robbie Williams
T.Rex

Christine Moritz

« Reply #568 on: June 01, 2010, 11:05:05 am »
Seth has sat in on drums with Thievery Corporation a number of times.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #569 on: June 01, 2010, 11:07:57 am »
what a fun, fun night.  the club had a great vibe going on.  people seemed a little friendlier and staph were in an extra-good mood.  music was fun and changes were fast-paced so we we never left waiting for long (helped by the fact that all performers used the same amps and drum kit).  as mentioned by others, getting to and from the middle of the floor was a piece of cake all night long.

musical highlights: CLUTCH!!!, the fleshtones and the slickees were fun, tommy keene was more rockin' than expected, the evens playing up on the balcony, and i'll never tire of hearing grohl do a solo version of "everlong" from 20 feet away.  he was good but i didn't feel that i connected with bob mould.  justin jones is very talented but i feel his sound is sorta typical country-rock - he might need a little something to distinguish himself in order to really break out.  to those who said "trouble funk played one song for 45 minutes" - have you never heard go-go before?  i didn't take much note of what BT was spinning between sets (spent most of that time talking), and left as TF was finishing up.  did anyone stick around after the live music?  i heard that BT was going to spin for a while longer and get in to his more typical techno fare.

met for the first time mr. ford, mobius, and eros.  old(er) acquaintances that had to deal with me included bombay, bags, joe, callat703, and none other than thedirector.  hope i'm not forgetting anyone, if i am blame it on the dogfish raison d'etre.  yikes.  hearty back-slaps to thatguy, madgypsy, samfresh, and all the other AMAZING staph members who made last night happen.

loved your review, james.  i suspect that people who weren't there might be scratching their heads at some of your descriptions.  too bad, they should have been there.

seth also joined thievery corps one year for their annual christmas shows, he played percussions.

thank you, 930 club, for a great night last night - and all the great nights over the years.  here's to 30 more.
<sig>