Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313458 times)

killsaly

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1920 on: April 16, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »
Why am I not at Coachella???  Seal (a personal favorite) joined Gallant for a couple songs...

Kubacheck

« Reply #1921 on: April 17, 2016, 01:37:46 am »
Jesus, the Feelies just would NOT stop, definitely got my money's worth tonight.... seeing the 9:15 start time, I figured they'd play maybe a couple hours and I'd be home by midnight.... famous last words, they didn't stop playing until around 12:30am and I got home at 1:30....  :)

Unsanity

« Reply #1922 on: April 17, 2016, 03:00:57 am »
The DC Brau party was off the chain. The beers were good and the bands were great. Anyone else go?

Here's the thing

« Reply #1923 on: April 17, 2016, 01:18:50 pm »
Jesus, the Feelies just would NOT stop, definitely got my money's worth tonight.... seeing the 9:15 start time, I figured they'd play maybe a couple hours and I'd be home by midnight.... famous last words, they didn't stop playing until around 12:30am and I got home at 1:30....  :)

I think it is a Jersey thing.
Fun show.

hutch

« Reply #1924 on: April 17, 2016, 08:30:50 pm »
iggy was phenomenal..really a desert island show.....nice to see bearman before show.. i had to skideedle to my sister's home in bumfuck west philly to pick up my mom so could not hang after show... i taped show but had input level set a bit low...can't believe he played repo man! and most of the idiot, lust for life and half of new album.. amazing set list.. homme and band were great.. fertita too... and the drummer ... and no, i did not meet iggy.. didn't try really...just was not meant to be this time..  iggy is still performing at an amazing level.. and the venue was wonderful...

i hope the iggy show comes to dc.. i understand they are negotiating to play argentina later in the year.. so maybe they'll end with playin a few more shows  in the US and seth can book it....i'd go see it again....

bowie's ghost was definitely felt at the show..at least for me..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:40:52 pm by hutch »

Unsanity

« Reply #1925 on: April 18, 2016, 03:13:25 am »
Yeah man I agree about David Bowie's presence being felt. I felt it during China Girl big time.

Repo Man was my favorite song of the night fir sure. Love the movie and really hoped for that one.

hutch

« Reply #1926 on: April 18, 2016, 05:45:51 am »
kind of crazy... iggy played 6 of 8 songs from the idiot..7 of 9 from lust of life.. and 8 of 9 from the new album.. plus repo man.. and that was the set list.. really can't do any better than that... iggy was in such high spirits the entire night and radiating such good vibes... while the band was thrilled to be there.. homme took a lot of the real fun guitar parts and the bowie backing vocals.. fertita took some great guitar licks too... you could tell how fertita had a lot more to do with the dead weather sound than i and most have given him credit for (including me).. that high pitched squeal guitar sound is not just jack white's thing... the drummer sounded great.. not sure how he managed it but he really got the sound just like on the records (kind of that processed sound that is pretty unique to those records)... for the band it was the consummate professional gig... not an ounce of alcohol as far as i could see anywhere... homme came out for the encore draggin' on a cigarrette which he quickly put out..

since i consider chuck berry the rock and roll head honcho i was glad to hear iggy introduce one of the new songs talking about how when he was in a band in his early days they had played with chuck berry (obviously he meant not just on the same bill but BACKING chuck which is what so many great american acts did when they were starting..chuck was too lazy and cheap to have his own bands so he would parachute into the gig and a few minutes before the show started a local pickup/opening band with the courage to take the gig would be told to "play chuck berry tunes" behind him.. great recounting of this by springsteen in hail hail rock and roll) .. iggy must have been talking about his first band before the stooges.. The Iguanas.. but i don't think he referred to them by name...  it is amazing how much the lineage of rock and roll goes back to chuck berry...

boy is iggy short next to josh homme... at times looked like half his height!

i wonder if i have ever seen the same musician twice and had them play entirely different set lists.. cause there was not one song in common with the 2007 set at the 930 with the stooges.. not too many musicians could pull that off and have it work for me...

i would be shocked if they don't put out a live dvd from this tour after its done...

like i hinted before.. real great of homme to basically oversee this well deserved iggy victory lap focusing on what i would call his post-punk music..from crafting the new album which really sounds of a piece with the idiot/lust for life to overseeing pop's band... i mean its not a small project. basically homme is devoting  months to this...huge kudos to him

so many thoughts go through one's mind.. how much would ian curtis have dug checking out this show?

i didn't really like the show poster or i would have bought it... even though i'm not a poster guy it would have been a nice memento.. of course the lines at the merch table were crazy...

this was the rare show were you went into it with very very high expectations and it did not dissapoint..which is hard to pull off...

hutch

« Reply #1927 on: April 18, 2016, 05:59:04 am »
I did not realize but it seems like most of Iggy's European dates don't include Homme?

also damn matt sweeney looks old!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:05:07 am by hutch »

bearman🐻

« Reply #1928 on: April 18, 2016, 09:47:56 am »
I have to echo everything hutch said. I'm still at a loss for words about how truly excellent it was...I thought of Iggy and Bowie as well. I kept thinking of Ian Curtis during that shattering version of "Mass Production"...were those the last notes of music he heard when he was on this planet? I couldn't help but think that wasn't lost on the band.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1929 on: April 18, 2016, 02:48:48 pm »

I truly never tire of seeing the Feelies. Amazing turnout too, that was by far the most folks I've seen at one of their shows since they started playing again in 2008. Really great performance as usual and I'm thinking the new LP will have some great tunes.

hutch

« Reply #1930 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »
Amazing turnout too, that was by far the most folks I've seen at one of their shows since they started playing again in 2008.

that is great to read.. i was bummed to miss it due to family commitments....won't miss them the next time.. maybe word is spreading about how good their shows are...

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #1931 on: April 18, 2016, 04:14:47 pm »

I truly never tire of seeing the Feelies. Amazing turnout too, that was by far the most folks I've seen at one of their shows since they started playing again in 2008. Really great performance as usual and I'm thinking the new LP will have some great tunes.

Great show. Left before the final 2 song encore. Was. Just. Too. Tired.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #1932 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:01 am »
Bruuuucccceee in Baltimore...drops mike.

bob72

« Reply #1933 on: April 22, 2016, 08:21:08 am »
Dag Nasty last night was pretty fuckin awesome. When I was 16 and missed the cubby bear gig I never realized it would be 28 years before I had the opportunity to see them. When the show was first announced I was really hoping that they were going to have Dave Smalley on vocals, not a big fan of the Dag With Shawn version of Can I Say. But he changed my mind last night, he's amazing live. And of course, Brian Baker. I mean, what else can you say?

Now, I'm not normally one to doubt how much of a fan anyone might be about any given band, but as I saw it, roughly 75% of the crowd just stood there staring at the stage, not even bobbing their heads, and giving a golf clap in between songs. I didn't get the feeling that they were there because they like the band. Like the guy next to me... he just stood there motionless the entire time EXCEPT when they covered Minor Threat, but after that he pulled out his cell phone and left. Didn't make sense to me. I'm not saying they had to be moshing and stage diving, cause well, the median age appeared to be about 45 and that could kill most of us, but show some excitement dammit! And kudos to the old farts that WHERE moshing and crowd surfing. I hope you're not TOO sore today lol.
PENIS

Space Freely

« Reply #1934 on: April 22, 2016, 08:32:03 am »
When I was about 20 (close to 49 now) I went to a bunch of hardcore shows for a year or two. I felt too old and out of place then, I can't imagine how out of place I'd feel now! Though, it was a fun scene to observe, and it was fun for a shy introverted boy who wasn't getting laid much to rub against other boys and even (gasp, woohoo) the occasional girl.

I should have written down the names of the bands I saw, they all kind of blur together at this point. Dag Nasty may have been one of them. Fugazi definitely was.