Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313406 times)

Space Freely

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5190 on: November 27, 2023, 11:57:39 am »
There are free parking options within walking distance. I've never parked at the Wharf in spite of going there a good number of times.

shemptiness

« Reply #5191 on: November 27, 2023, 01:32:25 pm »
Beach Fossils Sat night. First time seeing them live as I've just gotten into them after hearing the wonderful 'Bunny'. I've been checking setlist.fm so I was aware of what they were going to play - they don't switch it up at all. Their songs are short and catchy, with great harmonies, so I was expecting a rather tame evening. But it was a loud, wild 65 minute set, which is typical for them, which made them perfect for an early show. And moshing! That's still a thing?     

nkotb

« Reply #5192 on: November 27, 2023, 01:51:18 pm »
All of my usual free spots were taken...I chalked it up to being a Saturday night, but maybe I also didn't have the patience.

There are free parking options within walking distance. I've never parked at the Wharf in spite of going there a good number of times.

nkotb

« Reply #5193 on: November 27, 2023, 02:53:21 pm »
I am, 100%. It's one of the most soulest parts of DC...it honestly bums me out going there. 

If I had someone that I disliked that was coming into town and asked me a good place to hang out, i would tell them the Wharf. But then again, if I disliked someone and they'd still ask for my input, they'd probably love the area.

Hater

« Reply #5194 on: November 27, 2023, 04:27:47 pm »
I am, 100%. It's one of the most soulest parts of DC...it honestly bums me out going there. 
this is accurate
 it's like a Truman Show set piece, where they built a downtown area
there were no existing residents for miles
slack

hutch

« Reply #5195 on: November 27, 2023, 04:33:35 pm »
Not sure I disagree much about the wharf. In six years going there really only been to Anthem and the Brighton. Restaurants look like they might be good though!

I have been to the B & K for my kids

It must be said people love it and it sure beats before…

« Reply #5196 on: November 27, 2023, 04:46:52 pm »
with all my wharf dissing aside...

I have probably eaten in 40-50% of the places there (thanks mom) and drank in that many too
Mom stays there when she visits, and she likes it, as she is not very mobile, so food options are plenty from the foot of the hotel
(Hanks never disappoints, other than not having a table)

Some of them have excellent food/drinks/atmosphere

but it all does have a fake feel, and it's really only catering to those who can drop $35 to park and pay a $300 dinner bill
Some of the places REALLY cater to the tourist crowd, because there isn't an organic local crowd

I have quite enjoyed both Union and Pearl Street for numerous shows
and if I'd lived closer, I might see more random shows at those venues

I like being on the water, so for me that alone is appealing and entertaining
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5197 on: November 27, 2023, 04:53:45 pm »
I saw this show at ottobar and hated it. Not a lot of variety in their songs. It was fine for 2-3 songs.

Beach Fossils Sat night. First time seeing them live as I've just gotten into them after hearing the wonderful 'Bunny'. I've been checking setlist.fm so I was aware of what they were going to play - they don't switch it up at all. Their songs are short and catchy, with great harmonies, so I was expecting a rather tame evening. But it was a loud, wild 65 minute set, which is typical for them, which made them perfect for an early show. And moshing! That's still a thing?   
(_|_)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #5198 on: November 27, 2023, 04:57:57 pm »
this is accurate
 it's like a Truman Show set piece, where they built a downtown area
there were no existing residents for miles

Speaking of soulessness, have any of you driven through Urbana lately on MD 355? The transformation is unbelievable, and artificial as hell.
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #5199 on: November 27, 2023, 05:12:46 pm »
I meant Baskin and Robbins but it’s Ben and Jerry’s

gavroche

« Reply #5200 on: November 27, 2023, 06:31:23 pm »

Hater

The sad thing about the wharf is that before the development I thought that area was a bit of a hidden gem in DC, or at least really liveable.  Arena stage, a bunch of co-op buildings with funky architecture the water right there.

nkotb

« Reply #5201 on: November 27, 2023, 06:44:49 pm »
I was just writing something to the same effect...my wife worked are Arena Stage back in the day, so we spent a ton of time hanging around there.  Way more character than what it's become

The sad thing about the wharf is that before the development I thought that area was a bit of a hidden gem in DC, or at least really liveable.  Arena stage, a bunch of co-op buildings with funky architecture the water right there.

Also, this MF said "soulest"

Yada

« Reply #5202 on: November 27, 2023, 10:31:01 pm »

but it all does have a fake feel, and it's really only catering to those who can drop $35 to park and pay a $300 dinner bill
Some of the places REALLY cater to the tourist crowd, because there isn't an organic local crowd

You could say that for most of DC at this point

shemptiness

« Reply #5203 on: November 28, 2023, 12:29:30 am »
I saw this show at ottobar and hated it. Not a lot of variety in their songs. It was fine for 2-3 songs.

Beach Fossils Sat night. 

That's also true. Sorry you hated it. Not sure what that show was like but Sat was entertaning to say the least. The crowd was really into it.

Here's a photo taken by the crowd surfing photographer:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 04:16:59 pm by shemptiness »

hutch

« Reply #5204 on: November 28, 2023, 09:38:02 am »
I’ll take the Wharf over the character (code for grime, crime and slime) any day. The area was basically desolate. Now it’s used by thousands of people who enjoy it every day.

Character? The rundown Safeway by metro and the African restaurant? Can’t remember anything else.

Really what we have here is a difference of opinion between those that are in favor of development and those against. The wharf is what modern development looks like. It’s definitely not perfect. The alternative was to stay undeveloped, unused and cut off from the rest of DC. I think overall it’s a big plus. I take my mom or uncles there and we walk around and have an enjoyable time. I took my friend who moved to Australia 15 years ago or more and we had a nice time. He loved it and he owned a house in the area when it had “character.” There was live music everywhere, we had some drinks at a nice looking Italian place.