Author Topic: V-Fest Roll Call  (Read 26539 times)

lancha

Re: V-Fest Roll Call
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
at the fest now.

there are way too many kids in the dance tent.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
underworld and soulwax are the only ones i wanna see today. but not for $100.

Originally posted by kosmo:
  ok.. in the liner notes of the latest underworld album there was mention of musicians who played live with them
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »
went back to the liner notes for "Oblivion With Bells" and it turns out that the remaining people listed as Underworld Live are their tech crew, sound engineers, etc....
T.Rex

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2008, 12:17:00 am »
I'm going Sunday but but BUT ....

(from Pitchfork):

Reznor Postpones Tonight's NIN Show Due to Illness
 Deerhunter, scheduled to open, play NYC instead

Due to a "recurring throat ailment," Trent Reznor has been forced to postpone tonight's (August 8) Nine Inch Nails show at Worcester, Massachusetts' DCU Center, according to the band's website. It has been rescheduled for November 9.

This is second date Nine Inch Nails have postponed in the past week. The first one was a show in Minneapolis originally scheduled for August 2 and postponed to take place in late November.

In a note on the NIN site, Reznor wrote, "Just want to personally say how sorry I am to have to do this. I never take postponing a show lightly and if there were any possible way I could pull this off I would. This is a very frustrating and maddening situation for me and I appreciate your understanding. I'll make it up to you."

Assuming Reznor's recovery, the next Nine Inch Nails show will be at the Virgin Mobile Festival in Baltimore on August 10.

Nine Inch Nails:

08-08 Worcester, MA - DCU Center %
 08-10 Baltimore, MD - Pimlico Race Course (Virgin Mobile Festival)
 08-12 Knoxville, TN - Knoxville Civic Coliseum %

serpent boy

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2008, 12:33:00 am »
My review of Day 1:

- The tickets I won weren't at Will Call, so I waited for an hour for the tickets to arrive while listening to Cat Power from a distance. She sounded excellent, but I only got to see "Angelitos Negros" from inside the venue. I also caught a pink rose from her, haha.
 - Duffy was better than expected. The b-side "Tomorrow" was nice.
 - Gogol Bordello looked exciting, but it's just not my thing.
 - Swell Season were great! Glen has charisma, and he was pretty funny. Their set ended REALLY early, but they came back out for an unplugged encore out in the crowd. Very cool.
 - Lupe Fiasco ended his set at least 15 minutes early, so I only caught one song.
 - Sharon Jones sounded good in the two songs I heard. It sucks that I couldn't stick around for more.
 - Bloc Party stole the show. The setlist was perfect, and Kele sounded really good. I really thought "Mercury" transitioned well to a live setting.
 - Rodrigo Y Gabriela were very enjoyable. It was nice to see such a great crowd response after seeing virtually nobody at the Cat Power set. "Tamacun" was flawless.
 - I've given the promoters a lot of flack for picking The Offspring, but they had the second largest crowd of the day and didn't sound too bad.
 - I'll give all the respect in the world to Chuck Berry, but he was absolutely horrible. He missed notes like a first-time Guitar Hero player on Expert. It was really sad. In "Johnny B Goode," his guitar got unplugged and he couldn't figure out how to replug it. Awful choice for this slot. And why the hell did the Silver Beats play first and not with him? (They were very awkward, too.)
 - Foo Fighters were the typical obscenity-laced rockstars you'd expect. Solid set as usual.
 - Jack Johnson didn't sound too bad.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2008, 08:06:00 am »
leaving in a few hours for todays show....sucks that the weather forecast took a turn for the worse!! sounds like it is really going to suck later

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2008, 09:21:00 am »
Serpent's synopsis pretty much sums it up.  But I thought Bordello was a highlight - I will definitely be seeing them again.  Cope was good, too, though I only saw part of his set as I wandered back & forth from south stage to the north.

I guess I misunderstood 'cause I thought the Silver Beats were going to back Chuck Berry...but those 2 acts ended up sharing a time slot.  Beats played for a while and then Berry played with his own band.  WTF?  I 100% agree that this was not a good way to lead up to the festival headliner.  And while it was great to see a living legend in Berry he was clearly not up to the task of playing before a festival crowd.  Glad to have seen him, nonetheless.

And for someone who longed claimed to be the worst front-man ever, Dave Grohl puts a lot of energy into being a showman - so much so that his goofing off really killed any momentum the Foos had gained as the evening went through.  As much as folks like to give the Foos flack, they used to be a great live act.  Now, not so much.  3rd time I've seen them.....probably the last.

Hoping things end on a better note today.

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2008, 10:41:00 am »
What about the only band playing that matters, Wilco? Or were they on Day 2?

Originally posted by serpent boy:
  My review of Day 1:

- The tickets I won weren't at Will Call, so I waited for an hour for the tickets to arrive while listening to Cat Power from a distance. She sounded excellent, but I only got to see "Angelitos Negros" from inside the venue. I also caught a pink rose from her, haha.
 - Duffy was better than expected. The b-side "Tomorrow" was nice.
 - Gogol Bordello looked exciting, but it's just not my thing.
 - Swell Season were great! Glen has charisma, and he was pretty funny. Their set ended REALLY early, but they came back out for an unplugged encore out in the crowd. Very cool.
 - Lupe Fiasco ended his set at least 15 minutes early, so I only caught one song.
 - Sharon Jones sounded good in the two songs I heard. It sucks that I couldn't stick around for more.
 - Bloc Party stole the show. The setlist was perfect, and Kele sounded really good. I really thought "Mercury" transitioned well to a live setting.
 - Rodrigo Y Gabriela were very enjoyable. It was nice to see such a great crowd response after seeing virtually nobody at the Cat Power set. "Tamacun" was flawless.
 - I've given the promoters a lot of flack for picking The Offspring, but they had the second largest crowd of the day and didn't sound too bad.
 - I'll give all the respect in the world to Chuck Berry, but he was absolutely horrible. He missed notes like a first-time Guitar Hero player on Expert. It was really sad. In "Johnny B Goode," his guitar got unplugged and he couldn't figure out how to replug it. Awful choice for this slot. And why the hell did the Silver Beats play first and not with him? (They were very awkward, too.)
 - Foo Fighters were the typical obscenity-laced rockstars you'd expect. Solid set as usual.
 - Jack Johnson didn't sound too bad.

hutch

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2008, 11:16:00 am »
chuck berry probably just didn't want to play with the silver beats? or was it never in the cards?

hutch

« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2008, 11:17:00 am »
i'm surprised about the lack of interest in dylan.. since about 1996 he always puts on a good show.. saw him on friday in philly at the electric factory..sounded great... talk about a good band too...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by StoneTheCrow:
 As much as folks like to give the Foos flack, they used to be a great live act.  Now, not so much.  3rd time I've seen them.....probably the last.
i tried warning y'all... underworld was the closer to catch last night.  did anyone make it?
<sig>

manimtired

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »
as a huge dylan fan i have to say he fucking SUCKS live...hasnt played a decent show since 95 or 96 when he stopped playing guitar and switched to keyboards.

hutch

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  as a huge dylan fan i have to say he fucking SUCKS live...hasnt played a decent show since 95 or 96 when he stopped playing guitar and switched to keyboards.
well this is just a plain ignorant statement and proves you are no huge dylan fan! dylan didn't stop playing guitar until at least 2001..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
his last show at the patriot center (2007?) was, by all accounts, an excellent performance.
<sig>

manimtired

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »
sorry..i posted 96 b/c that was my senior year of high school...2001 was my senior year of college which was the last time i saw him play the geetar...fuck off