Author Topic: V-Fest Roll Call  (Read 27134 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: V-Fest Roll Call
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2008, 11:12:00 pm »
early reports from the field indicate that STP was the highlight of the night.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »
Hah you said "bub."

Originally posted by manimtired:
  ok bub. u r 1 srs dylan fan!!!!!  duquesne university palumbo center show. look it up. fuck head.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2008, 11:38:00 pm »

Originally posted by hutch:

ok bub. u r 1 srs dylan fan!!!!!  duquesne university palumbo center show. look it up. fuck head.
i'm out on this thread but i have to respond to this:

whats with the insult? you think dylan is terrible cause he don't play guitar, fine. But I think i'm entitled to point out that he did play guitar during the 96-2001 period and any dylan fan would know that regardless of when they graduated.

The concensus is he's not a great guitarist.. if you went to his shows as you say (something i doubt) you know that his guitar playing consisted of largely 2 note solos with his band's guitarists doing the heavy lifting! I happened to enjoy them but to say he started to suck because he didn't play guitar is just ridiculous..people don't go to see dylan to see his guitar skills and his voice has remained pretty much the same..it was tough to understand what song he was singing in 1996 and its tough today. Tony Garnier still leads the band and if anything they better than ever

I apologize if you find reality difficult to handle and please try to refrain from insults. You should be confident enough in your beliefs to not have to resort to mudslinging. [/b]
dipshit..i did know that...i wrote the wrong year. [/b]
are you sure you have the correct artist? maybe you're confusing dylan with somebody else... i'm now thinking you probably saw someone else.
 dylan DID play guitar all during the 90s and into the present decade. when i saw him at the patriot center in late 2002 he was on the keyboards though..they did a smokin' cover of brown sugar...that was when he had charlie sexton in the band.. oh, but you wouldn't know that would you.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

if you're on the lawn its pretty pointless...you have to actually see the man..
Then it's a damn shame he apparently didn't allow the video cameras to zoom in on him or his band.  Only act of the weekend that only allowed a steady, stage-wide shot to be projected on the video screens.

I thought he sounded OK.

hutch

« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by StoneTheCrow:

if you're on the lawn its pretty pointless...you have to actually see the man..
Then it's a damn shame he apparently didn't allow the video cameras to zoom in on him or his band.  Only act of the weekend that only allowed a steady, stage-wide shot to be projected on the video screens.

I thought he sounded OK. [/b]
bob dylan is obsessed with privacy and people not taking his picture etc.. that probably extends even to the screens..sad.

my thought was he wouldn't sound too good at an outdoor festival singing for the third consecutive night but i'm glad to hear he sounded ok although i read that to mean he didn't sound great.. his voice has become tough to understand unless you are attuned to it..

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2008, 12:04:00 am »
No, I thought he sounded OK which is not to say bad.  Granted, I only heard part of his set and I'm not familiar with all of his work but it was pretty much what I expected him to sound like.  Wish I'd been able to catch more of him.

Sage 703

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2008, 12:26:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  early reports from the field indicate that STP was the highlight of the night.
Early reports were accurate, but Nine Inch Nails was also pretty fantastic.

serpent boy

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2008, 12:42:00 am »
More DAY 1 notes:
 - Was that Seth on drums during Chuck Berry? If so, congrats!! That's friggin' amazing. I know I said Chuck Berry was awful, but that doesn't make that moment any less special.
 - The VIP grandstand didn't have any recycling options. Why? The rest of the festival was excellent for "going green."
 - Did anyone get Cat Power's setlist?

Day 2:
 - BRMC blew me away. Absolutely awesome. "Six Barrel Shotgun" made me day. I got to meet the guys during Bob Dylan's set, and they were very cool and down-to-earth.
 - Chromeo put on a very entertaining set. I'm not big into EDM stuff, but I consider Chromeo crossover. "Bonafied Lovin" is soooo good.
 - Shudder to Think sounded pretty awful. I'm sure I might just not "get" them, but it wasn't worth my time.
 - Andrew Bird was alright. Certainly different. It was relaxing.
 - She & Him sounded very good in a live setting. Thanks so much for bringing them. Zooey is adorable. She would jump up and down before songs out of excitement. Her vocals were impressive. Unfortunately, most of the crowd was talking and shouting for "Weezy" during the She & Him performance. Not a good idea to put them on right before the biggest draw of the day.
 - It took Lil Wayne 40 minutes to get on stage. Absolutely ridiculous and unprofessional. He was scheduled to start at 3:50. Didn't come out on stage until 4:30. The crowd started booing, and Weezy's entourage walked around like a bunch of assholes for 15 minutes. I left after 3 songs when it was painfully obvious how bad his DJ is. Still, he got a VERY big crowd.
 - Iggy Pop was the surprise of the day for me. What a crazy fucker. His set was excellent and just the contrast needed after a frustrating Lil Wayne set.
 - Black Keys got screwed. They only played 30 minutes (instead of a scheduled 1 hour) thanks to Lil Wayne. LAME.
 - STP were good. Not quite as good as 2002. Weiland was obviously drunk and not coherent in between songs. He was terrible during "Big Bang Baby." But overall, they pulled it together around "Crackerman" and blew everyone away for the rest of the set.
 - Bob Dylan was very solid. He didn't play anything I recognize, but he sounded really good. Compared to Chuck Berry, Dylan sounds like he could go another 10-15 years (whereas Berry should've retired 10-15 years ago).
 - NIN were amazing. I'm speechless. The visuals were stunning. Trent - despite vocal cord issues and a recent cancellation - was in perfect form. The crowd's response to "Head Like A Hole" is something I'll always remember.

Thanks, V-Fest!

mdh9857

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2008, 01:23:00 am »
My Notes on VFest:

Saturday:
 -Cat Power: Was not impressed, maybe it's just not my thing, but thought it was pretty bad.
 -KT Tunstall: I liked her set, she was real upbeat and had people singing along with her during her hits.
 -Duffy: Average, nothing special, but solid.
 -Gogol Bordello: I'm still not sure what I saw, but I thought it was pretty cool.  The fans loved it, and thought they did a good job.
 -Lupe Fiasco: Very energetic performance, yet he ended way too early, come on Lupe.
 -Bloc Party: Thought they were great.  Kele sounds awesome live.
 -Rodrigo y Gabriela: Mind blowing.  I'd never seen them before, and they were amazing.  I was literally awestruck.
 -Offspring: Caught the end of them, they had a huge crowd but they look really old now.  Okay set.
 -Ferry Corsten: he's a great DJ, and he knows it haha.  His background seemed to always be pictures of himself or his name.
 -Chuck Berry: Caught the end of his set, he seemed to be doing alright, although I heard the start wasn't the most impressive.
 -Foo Fighters: While not a huge fan, they had a huge audience, and they ate it all up.  Instead I watched...
 -Underworld: they were awesome, really got the dance tent going.  Love to see them again.

Sunday:
 -HOLLYWOOD UNDEAD: The one we've all been waiting for.  Um yeah they are worse than you can imagine, and the volume was so loud it was painful.  There chatter sounded like high school gossip.
 -BRMC: Liked them a lot, and they played very well for it being "so early."
 -Shudder to Think: Not me at all.  I thought they were really bad, but some people were into them, so I'm not sure.
 -Paramore: typical teen pop/ rock.  Why were people moshing during them?
 -Lil Wayne: yes he showed up late, no it was not worth cutting Black Keys short.  He basically hyped the crowd up and played 30 seconds to a minute of each song.  His um own version of "Monster" elicited some interesting responses.
 -Black Keys: Solid show, would have liked them to go longer.
 -Moby: I had to see him, he's a decent DJ, the crowd was really into it.
 -Kanye West: Took too long to start once again, but he was good.  Played his hits but also played some of his other stuff.  I do have to hand it to him, he tries hard, he leaves it all out there for the fans.

Thanks Seth, I had a great time (despite the sunburn)

Staralfur25

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2008, 01:57:00 am »
I had a motha fuckin blast.

okay the chromeo tent was packed.  I can't believe they had to play the early show. I missed half of their set because I love the go!team way too much.  :)
 but after the go team I went straight to chromeo and had to work my way to the middle.
   the dance tent was not nearly as packed as that show.  The encore when they started to sing every journey song. ha ha That so funny stuff.

Oh and i thought the weather was calling for rain (sunday)..so no sunblock and it ended being sunny.  :p  ouch

Highlights for me.
 Rodrigo y gabriela (the reason i went on saturday)
 Duffy had some good tunes while i killed time
 Erol alkan in the dj tent was fun
 dj dan and donald glaude
 Sharon jones and the dap kings...oh god her dance moves were pure entertainment
 Chuck berry

hating myself for missing swell season..what was i thinking!!  saw the last two songs. damnit
 Underworld...not a fan. i tried.

Sunday
 the go! team (they were so far away though)
 Chromeo
 andrew bird, the boy can whistle
 deadmau5
 iggy...didn't know what to expect but he was crazy. fuck..shit..fuck.  
 the black keys
 Moby..just his second half
 armin van buurin..i could not stop dancing.

haaaaaa i can't believe so many people wanted to see lil wayne.  i thought he took so long because he only had one hit song.

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2008, 07:51:00 am »
So wait, you're telling me there was this guy called Iggy Pop who played? What was the surprise of the day?

-that he was a "crazy fucker"?
 -that his set was excellent?
 -that he was a contrast to Lil Wayne?

Do tell us more about this Iggy Pop fellow, Serpent Boy. Does he have many albums out, and which ones would you recommend?

And what about Wilco? You failed to mention Wilco.

Originally posted by serpent boy:
  - Iggy Pop was the surprise of the day for me. What a crazy fucker. His set was excellent and just the contrast needed after a frustrating Lil Wayne set.

Thanks, V-Fest!

Got Haggis?

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2008, 08:43:00 am »
my schedule ended up being

BRMC
 Chromeo
 Go Team
 Roller Girls
 Rabbit in the Moon
 She & Him
 Iggy
 Roller Girls
 Bob Dylan
 Nine Inch Nails

I thought NIN stole the show.  I've seen them a billion times, but I really thought this show was the best I have ever seen from them.  The stage setup / lighting / sound was all perfect.
 I thought Bob Dylan was boring.  Rabbit in the Moon were interesting to watch.  All of the others were great.

I really dug the tesla coil / fire sculpture as well....I wish there were more art installations this year. I felt like there weren't as many as previous years.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2008, 08:58:00 am »
Iggy is King.  Everything else was just filler.  All-around great day though.

El Jefe Design

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2008, 09:01:00 am »
Spent two days listening to Guitar Hero and sad frat boys playing half of Nirvana songs as I was stuck in my booth and the vendor next to me would not turn the f'n music down. When you have a Domestic Violence organization threatening you because the music you are pumping was annoying, you know you should turn it down.

Biggest highlights for me personally: meeting pro wrestler Chris Hero on Sunday who was conveniently enough, wearing a Chris Hero shirt.

Acts I enjoyed:
 I really enjoyed Gogol Bordello. The albums are okay but seeing them live is always a treat. They were Saturdays Iggy.

Of course Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings brought the soul to the festival. Her voice sounded wonderful in the open air unlike Cat Power who just sounded small.

The whole Chuck Berry set was weird. People were walking around wondering what was going on and why are we hearing "Back in the USSR" when we should be hearing "Johnny B Goode."

Sunday was tough as there were far too many good bands for me and my friend to choose from.

BRMC were good (the earliest they ever played!) but I prefer them in a dark club. Still, a great way to start a show.

Hollywood Undead - I did not hear them but man, one of their mother's really nice. She spoke to me for a good ten minutes about how proud she was of him. I wondered if she listened to the lyrics?

She and Him - Chloe seemed so happy to be there, skipping between the piano and the microphone. A charming set which brought a smile to my face.

Iggy and The Stooges - Best in show. Glad to have seen him on a huge stage. Most bands look small on stage. The Stooges filled it up with Iggy going crazy, Mike Watt humping the amp and  Ron Asheton just being there (he's a big boy). Awe inspiring. I wanted to smack the 17 year old who looked bored and spoke about Paramore non-stop.

By the way, they were load. Loud enough I needed ear plugs though I was a good 90 yards away.

Hung out at the booth, heard some Dylan (I think...), met Kanye West, heard people complain about the delays, relived high school by hearing STP, and then ventured back for NIN who I have not seen since 1996 when he toured with Bowie. Just as good now as they were then. It was nice to rock out and then watch the last  bit as the sun set while sitting in front of my booth.

Notes:
 For next year, I really hope they do not bring the propane sculpture that sounds like gun shots. When Wilco is annoyed about it, when you can not hear the music, and it sounds like you are going to get hurt around it, maybe not a good idea to have it.

Caught a few songs from Kanye West and he was good. I just wanted to get home so I was miffed he went to 10:30.

All in all, met a few cool people from the board and had a good time after the Guitar Hero and frat boys left. Thanks for the hard work from the great staff there.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2008, 09:05:00 am »
so besides the fact that my back is killing me and my feet hurt and i'm essentially dead from skating and being on skates this weekend, i had a very fun and memorable weekend.

really all i got to see on saturday was bloc party. i was upset i missed the swell season, but kele was pretty much my main draw on saturday. also got some chuck berry, but from the back. that man sure can pull off a sequin jacket like no other. i also caught some of underworld, but that's just not for me.

sunday, i caught some of the go! team team, but the crowd sucked too bad so i went over to chromeo and had a blast. they were far more entertaining then i thought they'd be. pleasant surprise for sure. next thing i caught was she & him - total highlight of the weekend. amazing amazing amazing. i want to take zoey home with me and joe - they were'nt boring at all. she bounced around the stage and was quite charming.

umm, i missed iggy because i decided to get a massage instead. kanye was boring and late and nin killed it. really really killed it.
nothx