Author Topic: 00's Superlatives  (Read 23145 times)

walkonby

Re: 00's Superlatives
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 07:36:41 pm »
cont...

bela fleck with or without the flecktones

mars volta

polyphonic spree

travis

system of a down

best comeback of the decade -  sinead o'conner
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:42:31 pm by walkonby »

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 08:35:43 pm »
Would James Murphy qualify as someone who has been wildly influential/relevant in the 2000's?

My thing with that is, I'm considering most of the 2000's, and that whole movement didn't really kick off in a "relevant" way until about 2005. So...too soon?
Woof.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 09:49:25 am »
Would James Murphy qualify as someone who has been wildly influential/relevant in the 2000's?

My thing with that is, I'm considering most of the 2000's, and that whole movement didn't really kick off in a "relevant" way until about 2005. So...too soon?

no way, "dance-punk" or whatever the hell you want to call it was pretty huge by 2003:  DFA put out Radio 4's "Gotham" in 2002 and totally blew up with the Rapture's "Echoes" in 2003 ... Out Hud's "S.T.R.E.E.T. D.A.D." was also 2002 and !!! blew up in 2003 with "Me and Giuliani..." but were getting popular in 2001 and 2002 as well

i'd actually peg 2003 as the apex of "that whole movement"
(o|o)

bearman🐻

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:54 pm »
I know he's dead and he really only put out 2 LP's worth of stuff in the 00's, but I still think "From a Basement on the Hill" and "Figure 8" by Elliott Smith are pretty remarkable.

Mobius

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 12:33:18 am »
MVPs of 2001 seem to have defined the aughts:

Radiohead
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Jay-Z
Daft Punk

. . . and female artists? . . . how about Gwen Stefani . . . and on the flip side Cat Power

eltee

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:16 am »
I guess my criteria for this would be someone who has managed to maintain a steady stream of influence and buzz around them, primarily for their music.

Can I nominate a band?  If so: Radiohead.
I wondered about nominating them too, and then also thought of: Wilco.

Are the noms superlatives, or determined by justifying relevance?

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 11:15:04 am »
From this list, i'll take Jens and M. Ward, and add Neko Case and Josh Rouse with Andrew Bird and Ron Sexsmith slightly behind them. Brendan's Lapalco was phenomenal, but his followup was average, and his debut was from the 90's. I pretty much don't care for anybody else on your list, sari.

Best Pop/Rock Songwriters of the Decade
Carl Newman
Jens Lekman
Ted Leo
John Darnielle
Matt Pond
Brendan Benson
John Vanderslice
M. Ward

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 12:09:31 pm »
Are the noms superlatives, or determined by justifying relevance?

read the original post... write about whatever you want (most relevant, best, whatever), but describe the parameters somehow so we can argue about your pick without getting caught up parsing the criteria you used
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2009, 12:11:19 pm »
From this list, i'll take Jens and M. Ward, and add Neko Case and Josh Rouse with Andrew Bird and Ron Sexsmith slightly behind them.

totally agree about Andrew Bird, not sure how I left him off my original list... Neko and Josh Rouse should also be on there, good calls
(o|o)

eltee

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:13 pm »
From this list, i'll take Jens and M. Ward, and add Neko Case and Josh Rouse with Andrew Bird and Ron Sexsmith slightly behind them. Brendan's Lapalco was phenomenal, but his followup was average, and his debut was from the 90's. I pretty much don't care for anybody else on your list, sari.

Carl Newman
Jens Lekman
Ted Leo
John Darnielle
Matt Pond
Brendan Benson
John Vanderslice
M. Ward
Charlie, thoughts on Josh Ritter?
You might not, but I would nom Glen Hansard. :)

I did go back to the original, just checking to see if parameters had changed based on responses.;)  My original pick, Death Cab, someone asked the difference between DCFC and Modest Mouse. Not sure, pretty even, my own personal experience is DCFC is better known among more age groups. Also, not being snarky, but curious if this gives them a leg: Ben Gibbard and a Grammy nom.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:17:54 pm by El Tee »

hutch

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 11:23:35 pm »
Best album of the decade for me- meaning my favorite- is Los Amigos Invisibles "Venezuelan Zinga Son".. what a party record!

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2009, 08:51:02 am »
Good call, El Tee. i'd put Josh Ritter in there too. If I hand to rank them, it would be:

Rouse
Ward
Case
Lekman
Ritter
Bird
Sexsmith
Benson

And Nick Lowe has only put out two albums this decade, but he's have to be in there simply because he's Nick Lowe. (and the two albums were good)

And the 2008 albums from both Kasey Chambers (with her husband) and Hayes Carll are both stellar. Though maybe one great album doesn't get you on my list.

Bobby Bare Jr. would also be close.

And you're right, Hansard wouldn't rank. He'd probably be below everyone on Hoya's list. :)

Carl Newman
Jens Lekman
Ted Leo
John Darnielle
Matt Pond
Brendan Benson
John Vanderslice
M. Ward
Charlie, thoughts on Josh Ritter?
You might not, but I would nom Glen Hansard. :)

I did go back to the original, just checking to see if parameters had changed based on responses.;)  My original pick, Death Cab, someone asked the difference between DCFC and Modest Mouse. Not sure, pretty even, my own personal experience is DCFC is better known among more age groups. Also, not being snarky, but curious if this gives them a leg: Ben Gibbard and a Grammy nom.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:53:14 am by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer »

Relaxer

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 10:35:27 am »
So, in other words, every band and musician that's put music in the last nine years.
oword

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 10:38:31 am »
Basically any band that's not called "Muse" or "Marney Stern".

So, in other words, every band and musician that's put music in the last nine years.

Relaxer

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 11:37:59 am »
oword