Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179644 times)

atomic

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2655 on: January 14, 2014, 10:51:05 am »
I was recently accused by moderators of a beer message board for "trolling" because I (respectfully, without any condescending comments to other humans, imo) posted in a thread about Beer A that I wouldn't be buying Beer A this year because Beer B was just as good and less expensive. When I asked a moderator why I was accused of "trolling", I was told "This thread is about Beer A. If you want to compare it to Beer B, you need to start a new thread."
We have a thread about show listings and if someone has the audacity to discuss the show listings, we fracture it off to another thread. And then if we want to discuss who is going to the show, we have to split off to a third thread. And then if we want to discuss how the show was, we go to a fourth thread. And then if we want to post a photo of the show, we have to go to a fifth thread. And if you don't do that, people act like the very fabric of the messageboard is getting ripped apart.

I have no idea why our community is on life-support.

I blame this for  there being no chicks on this message board.  You would think this was a football message board. 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2656 on: January 14, 2014, 10:57:28 am »
Satirical??? I thought it was just a bunch of random words on a Coachella poster meant to annoy.  Didn't we just ask someone to explain the previous one and they didn't come up with a valid explanation for its posting.  Maybe we could have a separate thread for these.     
The one you quoted and alleged as trolling (it starts with Hahaha) is somewhat satirical. It sarcastically lists fake bands under the pretense that its funny to do so (hence all the band names based around Haha, Much Funny, Do you get it?) when, in fact, the point of the poster is to highlight that making fake Coachella posters is in no way funny. It hopes to shame people who think its funny into realizing its not and stop doing it.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #2657 on: January 14, 2014, 10:57:49 am »
Are you trying to say that the problems Julian described are the reason there are no women on the board or does the fractured nature of the board result in no women wanting to be a part of this board?

If you want to be on a message board where there are lots of women, go on a mommy chatboard. Plenty of women bitching and arguing with each other there.

Or go on a Justin Timberlame or John Mayer discussion board. Women in general have worse taste in music than men.

I was recently accused by moderators of a beer message board for "trolling" because I (respectfully, without any condescending comments to other humans, imo) posted in a thread about Beer A that I wouldn't be buying Beer A this year because Beer B was just as good and less expensive. When I asked a moderator why I was accused of "trolling", I was told "This thread is about Beer A. If you want to compare it to Beer B, you need to start a new thread."
We have a thread about show listings and if someone has the audacity to discuss the show listings, we fracture it off to another thread. And then if we want to discuss who is going to the show, we have to split off to a third thread. And then if we want to discuss how the show was, we go to a fourth thread. And then if we want to post a photo of the show, we have to go to a fifth thread. And if you don't do that, people act like the very fabric of the messageboard is getting ripped apart.

I blame this for  there being no chicks on this message board.  You would think this was a football message board. 

atomic

« Reply #2658 on: January 14, 2014, 11:08:15 am »
Are you trying to say that the problems Julian described are the reason there are no women on the board or does the fractured nature of the board result in no women wanting to be a part of this board?

If you want to be on a message board where there are lots of women, go on a mommy chatboard. Plenty of women bitching and arguing with each other there.

Or go on a Justin Timberlame or John Mayer discussion board. Women in general have worse taste in music than men.

I totally disagree with you on Women having worse musical taste than men. In fact, I think it is quite the opposite.   I will take pop music over classic rock any day of the week.   I used to post on a Dresden Dolls message board and it was mostly chicks who posted there.  They were pretty nice though.  I have gotten in trouble with chicks on message boards before.  They seem to like my bad buy image.  Or maybe they just like it that I mention that I am tall.  Perhaps it is best that there are no ladies on here.

hutch

« Reply #2659 on: January 14, 2014, 11:10:44 am »
to me a troll is someone who posts stuff just to get a rise/reaction or get under people's skin...
their posts are often reactive so if you say the sky is blue they'll come in with "what do you mean , the sky is black...."...to me that's often trolling..

personally i like friendly/ridiculous trolling though whereas what i call personal trolling is detestable...... if i hear one more word about someone's awesome parenting choices and the "guide to why my life is the wiener schnitzel" i'll retch...

atomic

« Reply #2660 on: January 14, 2014, 11:11:39 am »
Satirical??? I thought it was just a bunch of random words on a Coachella poster meant to annoy.  Didn't we just ask someone to explain the previous one and they didn't come up with a valid explanation for its posting.  Maybe we could have a separate thread for these.     
The one you quoted and alleged as trolling (it starts with Hahaha) is somewhat satirical. It sarcastically lists fake bands under the pretense that its funny to do so (hence all the band names based around Haha, Much Funny, Do you get it?) when, in fact, the point of the poster is to highlight that making fake Coachella posters is in no way funny. It hopes to shame people who think its funny into realizing its not and stop doing it.

Ok I get it now.  I still dont' like it.  From what I gather Satire is humor that isn't funny. Wasn't Tropic Thunder supposed to be satire?  It was basically just a very bad movie but it was supposed to be funny because it was like other bad movies? Never got it.

atomic

« Reply #2661 on: January 14, 2014, 11:14:20 am »
to me a troll is someone who posts stuff just to get a rise/reaction or get under people's skin...
their posts are often reactive so if you say the sky is blue they'll come in with "what do you mean , the sky is black...."...to me that's often trolling..

personally i like friendly/ridiculous trolling though whereas what i call personal trolling is detestable...... if i hear one more word about someone's awesome parenting choices and the "guide to why my life is the wiener schnitzel" i'll retch...

Yeah parenting choices.  I guess it is easy to make parenting suggestions when you don't have kids.  Perhaps, I should stop doing that until I have a kid.

« Reply #2662 on: January 14, 2014, 11:19:29 am »
To me, trolling is pretending you believe a certain thing that's provocative/outrageous in hopes of soliciting angry responses from people who are under the misguided view that you actually believe said thing. Trolling doesn't "work" if people are not convinced that the troll ACTUALLY believes what they're saying, otherwise they won't get the requisite level of "upset" to get into an argument over it. I don't want to get into too META of a discussion but the thing that's weird about this community is many don't seem to see the difference between intended satirical material in the vein of TheOnion.com and "trolling."

For example, you might not like The Onion. You might not think its funny. You might think its satire is too hamfisted or its points too obvious. Those are legitimate complaints. But to say The Onion is "trolling," for example, is absurd. No one is "trolled" by The Onion. Nobody reads "Voters Shocked Christie Botched Such An Easy Political Cover-Up" and actually thinks that's true. But if you post that same thing here, there's 20% of this board who is going to argue tooth and nail, "THAT ISN'T TRUE! AND LET ME SHOW YOU EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE TO PROVE VOTERS AREN'T ACTUALLY UPSET ABOUT THAT!"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:25:38 am by Julian, Former Weblebrity »
LVMH

« Reply #2663 on: January 14, 2014, 11:21:35 am »
Wasn't Tropic Thunder supposed to be satire?
I never saw it and cannot speak intelligently on the subject.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #2664 on: January 14, 2014, 11:25:58 am »
To me, trolling is pretending you believe a certain thing that's provocative/outrageous in hopes of soliciting angry responses from people who are under the misguided view that you actually believe said thing. I don't want to get into too META of a discussion but the thing that's weird about this community is many don't seem to see the difference between intended satirical material in the vein of TheOnion.com and "trolling."

For example, you might not like The Onion. You might not think its funny. You might think its satire is too hamfisted or its points too obvious. Those are legitimate complaints. But to say The Onion is "trolling," for example, is absurd. No one is "trolled" by The Onion. Nobody reads "Voters Shocked Christie Botched Such An Easy Political Cover-Up" and actually thinks that's true. But if you post that same thing here, there's 20% of this board who is going to argue tooth and nail, "THAT ISN'T TRUE! AND LET ME SHOW YOU EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE TO PROVE VOTERS AREN'T ACTUALLY UPSET ABOUT THAT!"

Well I guess if you posted it on a New Jersey Republican forum that would be considered trolling.   Just like if I said I didn't like Buddy Guy on a Buddy Guy forum. On here is it just an opinion.

James Ford

« Reply #2665 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:01 am »
I'm not sure how bragging about one's parenting choices is "trolling". I just wish all future parents were required to take parenting classes before they actually were allowed to become parents.

Yeah parenting choices.  I guess it is easy to make parenting suggestions when you don't have kids.  Perhaps, I should stop doing that until I have a kid.

atomic

« Reply #2666 on: January 14, 2014, 11:36:25 am »
I'm not sure how bragging about one's parenting choices is "trolling". I just wish all future parents were required to take parenting classes before they actually were allowed to become parents.

What are you going to do prevent people from having sex?  Poor people are going to have a bunch of kids and not take care of them.  That is how things work.  The solution is to change the laws so everyone makes enough money to be able to take care of their kids. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2667 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:37 am »
We have a thread about show listings and if someone has the audacity to discuss the show listings, we fracture it off to another thread. And then if we want to discuss who is going to the show, we have to split off to a third thread. And then if we want to discuss how the show was, we go to a fourth thread. And then if we want to post a photo of the show, we have to go to a fifth thread. And if you don't do that, people act like the very fabric of the messageboard is getting ripped apart. And if we actually wish to have an interchange of information/discussion about this concert, we have to hope the 4% of the board who went to/is interested in the same concert as us, diligently checks all five of these threads to follow the progression. Its kafkaesque.

But, no, I have no idea why our community is on life-support.

well now that's just moronic.  your solution would be to limit the board to one mega-thread, where everything - announcements, commentary, photos, football analysis, political trolling and "hey who's going to this show" - gets posted?

that's called /b/.  yeah, that would be an improvement.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2668 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:53 am »
You mean change the laws so that one parent can stay home and take care of the young children? How would you propose they do that?

What are you going to do prevent people from having sex?  Poor people are going to have a bunch of kids and not take care of them.  That is how things work.  The solution is to change the laws so everyone makes enough money to be able to take care of their kids. 

hutch

« Reply #2669 on: January 14, 2014, 11:44:00 am »
To me, trolling is pretending you believe a certain thing that's provocative/outrageous in hopes of soliciting angry responses from people who are under the misguided view that you actually believe said thing.

I would agree with that......I still think it can be fun.....Atomic is the best example of course...its the kind of trolling i like....actually without Atomic this board would be pretty boring..he's the second most important boardie after the catman... James Ford on the other hand is the kind of trolling I loathe....but I can see how people would say that Ford is not trolling..its a little subtler and most people might say that's not trolling, tis just an unpleasant person...