Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241708 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4125 on: January 22, 2014, 01:14:38 pm »
I thought what they were saying was that the 9,000 barrels will now be sold through retail chains, and beer for "on-site" sales will be brewed at the new location.  That should technically make it easier to get, not harder.  (Well, not easier for me, but perhaps, for some, people.)

brennser

« Reply #4126 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:00 pm »
yes, it will technically be easier to get when the new facility is completed in 18-24 months......until then???

I thought what they were saying was that the 9,000 barrels will now be sold through retail chains, and beer for "on-site" sales will be brewed at the new location.  That should technically make it easier to get, not harder.  (Well, not easier for me, but perhaps, for some, people.)

Yada

« Reply #4127 on: January 22, 2014, 01:49:50 pm »
yes, it will technically be easier to get when the new facility is completed in 18-24 months......until then???

Stock up on widely available Surly Abrasive.

brennser

« Reply #4128 on: January 22, 2014, 01:59:32 pm »
having had both fresh in the last 2 weeks (plus Pliny, Zombie Dust and a slew of other great beers) I can categorically state that Heady is (for me) way better - it is absolutely worth the hype

Abrasive was great and had a dankness thing going on that I liked but Heady wins every time for me

Yada

« Reply #4129 on: January 22, 2014, 02:03:36 pm »
having had both fresh in the last 2 weeks (plus Pliny, Zombie Dust and a slew of other great beers) I can categorically state that Heady is (for me) way better - it is absolutely worth the hype

Abrasive was great and had a dankness thing going on that I liked but Heady wins every time for me

I agree that heady is better, just a hair in my opinion but it's nice that you can get a case of Surly quite easily over a three month period, unlike the hassle of getting Heady.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4130 on: January 22, 2014, 08:56:55 pm »
wine tasting in napa saturday, and russian river brewery on sunday

Go to San Francisco in the fall and this is my exact itinerary, though i may hit Lagunitas as well.

Anything else in the bay area worth a visit?

Yada

« Reply #4131 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:38 pm »

James Ford

« Reply #4132 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:29 pm »
Take your pick.

http://www.bayareacraftbeer.com/bay-area-craft-breweries/

http://sf.eater.com/archives/2013/08/20/the_ultimate_bay_area_beer_map.php

http://www.sfbrewpub.org/pubs/

wine tasting in napa saturday, and russian river brewery on sunday

Go to San Francisco in the fall and this is my exact itinerary, though i may hit Lagunitas as well.

Anything else in the bay area worth a visit?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:11:29 pm by James Ford »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4133 on: January 22, 2014, 10:26:03 pm »
Very helpful!  Thanks!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4134 on: January 23, 2014, 08:28:49 am »
This is all  I got for this thread....

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/super-furry-animals-develop-their-own-beer

Super Furry Animals Develop Their Own Beer
'Psychedelic Wild Welsh Beer...'

Working with Celt Experience Brewery, the brand will be titled Fuzzy - after debut album 'Fuzzy Logic' of course.

T.Rex

stevewizzle

« Reply #4135 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:10 am »
You should have told them you were from Seattle. Where the Seahawks play.

Seems about right for a city ruled by homeless degenerates.

you "enjoyed the shitty attitude exuded by the bartenders" of that one place?  why would you do that?  is that the new cool and hip thing to do;  savor the tastes of bad service from paid employees?

i almost spit out my breakfast.

it was somewhat TIC, i was told going in that the place was run by a bunch of assholes, so i didn't expect much.  service was fine, i got my beers quick and they were friendly enough. but there was a feeling of "i'm better than you" type in the air... i don't know, i'm having a hard time explaining.  it's not the cool, hip thing to do, i just heard that place does beer fantastically well so i was going to go regardless.

we briefly uttered those words at RR, and then left immediately. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #4136 on: January 23, 2014, 09:56:30 am »
steve, sounds like an awesome weekend (well, minus the Pats' loss, obvs).  did you have the RR pizza?  it's supposed to be good, too.  how much is a bottle of supplication when bought on site?  need anything from this side of the country? ;D  (WWS is now out... just sayin')

$13, and nothing has quite caught my eye from the east coast for a while :) i'd part with one in the future though.  we got pliny bites in lieu of pizza, which were tasty enough.

James Ford

« Reply #4137 on: January 23, 2014, 10:11:17 am »
And the best brewery tour in America is....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-i4153-c1-Press_Releases.html

Really? Really? And $25 for a brewery tour (only $10 if you're under 21!!!). Are you shitting me?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4138 on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:13 am »

Really? Really? And $25 for a brewery tour (only $10 if you're under 21!!!). Are you shitting me?

it's a travel site, not a beer geek site.  they don't care about the beer, they care about the destination and the entertainment value of the tour.  although they make dreadfully boring beers, i've been told by several folks that a tour of a BMC brewery is pretty interesting.  it's huge, it's mechanized, they have big shiny tanks, they have spent money on making the tour "an experience", etc.  the beer itself likely doesn't figure in their rankings.
<sig>

atomic

« Reply #4139 on: January 23, 2014, 11:16:13 am »

The regular tour is free.