Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241386 times)

herman otto

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #8475 on: September 22, 2017, 09:55:20 pm »
heading to va beach, for the first time, coming up.  Neptune festival.  hope it is not, maria'd.  any beer places of note to check out, whether brewery or great beer selection store, while there?  I want to stop at green flash to check out a brewery of that size, but that is all I know.
Virginia Beach, is a beach, of the, poor.

Virginia Beach is filled with even more skanky people than Rehoboth. Haven't been to Ocean City in 20+ years so can't comment on it.

I would skip Virginia Beach and just go to Sandbridge if I were headed that way.

We, are staying in Sandbridge.  Heard it is nice.

Space Freely

« Reply #8476 on: September 29, 2017, 09:18:52 pm »
There must be a few people here who drink something a cut above PBR, no?

What beers are you currently enjoying?

I'm really digging this:

And after a stop at their brewery in Cooperstown, NY, i'm enjoying the mix pack from Ommegang. Especially love the Ommegang Ale.

Had a Founders Breakfast Stout on top of Old Rag today. A glorious hike. Eight years and 566 pages later, still one of my very favorite stouts.

hutch

« Reply #8477 on: September 29, 2017, 09:21:56 pm »
I had the Dogfish 120 min for the 10 year anniversary week..I hated it

Space Freely

« Reply #8478 on: September 29, 2017, 10:05:49 pm »

I'm a hophead and i hate it too. Dogfish was definitely a craft pioneer but do they do anything better than serviceable these days? Sad.

Speaking of high abv beers, i had a five ounce pour of Avery Rumpkin on my way home tonight. 17.5% abv. Hated it, but still one of he best pumpkin beers I've ever had. At least the rum somewhat covered up the horrible pumpkin beer taste.

Space Freely

« Reply #8479 on: September 30, 2017, 06:23:56 pm »
This sounds like a Yada event.

We are pleased to announce our Annual Halloween Party will be held on October 28th (Saturday)
Along with our own beer, some of our friends from South Carolina are providing "costume beers" for the brewery with mystery guest taps throughout the evening.
As a special treat, The Last Rewind-DC's Phish Tribute, Will be performing "A Live One" in it's entirety along with another special set!
The band will be performing in the Antelope room(our connected barrel room next door with a cash bar and beer station)
RESQ BBQ Catering will be here all night with their awesome BBQ

Pick your costume and come prepared for some ghoulish fun!
More details will be added soon.

Yada

« Reply #8480 on: October 02, 2017, 09:25:31 am »

We are pleased to announce our Annual Halloween Party will be held on October 28th (Saturday)
Along with our own beer, some of our friends from South Carolina are providing "costume beers" for the brewery with mystery guest taps throughout the evening.
As a special treat, The Last Rewind-DC's Phish Tribute, Will be performing "A Live One" in it's entirety along with another special set!
The band will be performing in the Antelope room(our connected barrel room next door with a cash bar and beer station)

Would be good to know where this is taking place to officially receive the YSOA.

Space Freely

« Reply #8481 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:18 am »

Would be good to know where this is taking place to officially receive the YSOA.

Sorry, it's Ocelot. Their Halloween Party.

My daughter and I went last year (two years ago?), early, before it got crowded (wife was out of town). Some fun people watching, and guest beers from the Veil.

Wonder who the guest South Carolina breweries are?

« Reply #8482 on: October 02, 2017, 01:18:27 pm »
ahh the vaunted YSOA is desired by all hip gatherings
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8483 on: October 02, 2017, 02:12:33 pm »
ahh the vaunted YSOA is desired by all hip gatherings

Yale School of Architecture?

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #8484 on: October 02, 2017, 03:42:01 pm »

I'm a hophead and i hate it too. Dogfish was definitely a craft pioneer but do they do anything better than serviceable these days? Sad.

Speaking of high abv beers, i had a five ounce pour of Avery Rumpkin on my way home tonight. 17.5% abv. Hated it, but still one of he best pumpkin beers I've ever had. At least the rum somewhat covered up the horrible pumpkin beer taste.

I still think their Indian Brown is one of the best brown ales out there. It's my go-to every time I see a show at the club.

Space Freely

« Reply #8485 on: October 02, 2017, 04:55:16 pm »

I still think their Indian Brown is one of the best brown ales out there. It's my go-to every time I see a show at the club.

Indeed it is one of the best brown ales. Probably because it's referred to by DFH as an "indian brown ale" or a IPA/brown ale hybrid (I think?) so more hoppy than most brown ales. It's also very rare that I find myself wanting to drink a brown ale.

herman otto

« Reply #8486 on: October 03, 2017, 12:09:46 am »
while, at the beach, I discovered a nice beer store in Northern VA beach called mix and match, so that is what I did.  I tried, the following

rodenbach  grand cru  flanders red ale   (so, fucking good)

smarthmouth  alter ego  saison farmhouse ale  (it was decent; would drink again)

Stillwater  shoegaze  distorted farmhouse pale ale  (gurl I was a little drunk, I can't remember)

firestone  leo vs ursus  unfiltered dipa  (oh . . . hell . . . yeah)

war flag  grandmaster ipa  (from some place in NY.  I was at the best BBQ place I have ever eaten, and saw this so I got it.  it went well with bbq, but I don't think it was outstanding.  good but not, to die for)

plus a few clownshoes  space cake  dipa.  (I really really like this beer, and will drink it, no matter how 'common' it becomes)

firestone walker  sour opal  wild ale  (dear lord in heaven, I have found a special beer)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:11:22 am by herman, otto »

« Reply #8487 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:56 am »
space...may want to check your credit history

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/foods-hit-credit-card-data-hack-payment-info-stolen-article-1.3529813?

mazon.com Inc’s Whole Foods Market on Thursday said payment card information has been stolen from taprooms, restaurants and other venues located within some of its stores.
slack

Bagley

« Reply #8488 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:58 pm »
anyone tried the Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout?

Space Freely

« Reply #8489 on: October 06, 2017, 03:07:26 pm »
anyone tried the Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout?

Yes, and it's not bad.

Just not as good at BCBS, KBS, Lagunitas High Westified, and others of that ilk.